1978 Honda Hobbit restoration.

GoldenMotor.com

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
One way Honda controlled the speed on the little two strokes is with the exhaust. You can throttle both ends of the two stroke engine. You can give it a try with the parts cold (or do it with Asbestos gloves) start the engine and with the throttle wide open cover the exhaust and then role your finger off like it was a valve. Now you know, and if you put another hole in the muffler, or get the expansion chamber, vale it goes faster with more power. Have fun

charliechaindrive.

Nov 20, 2011
staples mn
One way Honda controlled the speed on the little two strokes is with the exhaust. You can throttle both ends of the two stroke engine. You can give it a try with the parts cold (or do it with Asbestos gloves) start the engine and with the throttle wide open cover the exhaust and then role your finger off like it was a valve. Now you know, and if you put another hole in the muffler, or get the expansion chamber, vale it goes faster with more power. Have fun
Thank you..... :D

VanHutchinson

Nov 13, 2012
Victoria, BC
This has recently happened to my '82 Hobbit were it will only idle with the choke on, and then quickly high rev then die with the choke off unless your giving it a bunch of gas. Did you find a fix? I've taken it into a shop cleaned the carb, the air box, filter.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
It sounds to me like you may have an air leak between the carb and the engine. Have you reused old gaskets and O rings? If you have, the first step is to replace with new one and see if that works.

Sep 7, 2008
Omaha,NE
Check your spark plug wiring, boot, and plug. you might try removing the plug and wrapping some wire around the base and grounding it to your engine chases to see if the plug is still good.

other then that you there may be a problem with your cdi/spark coil not putting enough uhmph out.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
The electrical connectors that Japanese used back in those days will corrode over time. Nothing hideous, the brass that they are made out of just gets a oxidized layer on them. This oxidation creates unwanted resistance in the circuit.

I recommend using one of the following: Flitz, Happich Simichrome, Wenol, or as a last resort, Brasso.
Clean the male ends with the metal polish and a rag.
Clean the female ends with Q-Tips dipped in the metal polish. Sometimes if they are really bad, I snap the Q-Tip in half and chuck it in a drill.
Don't just give them a once over, clean the connectors until the rag or Q-Tip comes out with no more discoloration. Clean the polish out of the connectors with CRC Electrical Contact Cleaner or similar aerosol electronics rated cleaner. DO NOT use carburetor cleaner! Brake cleaner can be used, but is not the best choice.
Not related to the polishing process, but some times the female connectors loose their shape and need to be gently pinched back into shape to provide a secure connection.

zarnick

Aug 31, 2014
michigan
hi i just purchased a 78 hobbit pa501. previous owner had removed speedo cable. i looked this bike all over and cannot find out where the other end attaches. any help/pictures would be awesome...got one orderd coming in the mail.

nick

Honda_hobbi_tking

May 28, 2016
Cleveland ohio
Hi i have bought a 1978 honda hobbit. It ran when i got it but needed some engine work. We redid the piston, reedvalve,carb, and gaskets and it ran. We are having issues with our cdi ignition system. When we kik start my moped the headlight turns on but we cant get a spark. We tryed a bunch of things to get it going but we cant. If anyone can help me out i would appreciate it.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Are all the replaceable parts between the cdi and the engine in good condition and working? If it's the original plug, try a new one, or even two from different production batches.