Grubee Skyhawk

GoldenMotor.com

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida
I ran into a couple of fellow mber's the other day and both had a grubee skyhawk 2 stroke motor and the one thing on both of them that I saw is ,they both had a bicycle size chain on the motor drive instead of the #41 chain ( whatever china puts in the kits). I had asked each one if it came like that in the kit and both said "yes" I on the other hand have recieved the heavier chain and eventually went to the #41 chain! I suppose it would work , but I would be hesitant to use it. what do you think about this deal? or do you run the bicycle size chain off the motor? and do you have any problems with them?

I ordered a kit from Zoom....the 49 ( 48 ? )cc motor....slant head engine and it came with the 415 chain....much fatter than the chain that came with the bike itself......not a single issue yet but then again it's only got about 300 miles on it.....so time will tell I reckon....

Laters,
Saltybrnot

VIIPER

Aug 3, 2009
Virginia Beach
Hey Guys,

I bought a SkyHawk GT-5 from GasBike. I tried the stock chain. It broke on me during Week Two while I was reaching down to turn off the choke (only left hand on the handlebars). Well it sent the tensioner into the spokes and my fat 300 lb. A$$ went right over the bars. Embarassing!! And a bit painfull. I purchased the 41 Chain (10' length) from Northern Tool for $12.99 (enough to make two chains). It is much wider and does slide from side-to-side a bit on the rear sprocket but so far so good . . . . I'm happier with the Heavy Duty Chain. Afterall I'm Heavy Duty myself . . . .

davez

Jun 12, 2011
PNW
I've been reading this thread to correct similar problems I experienced with my Grubee Skyhawk kit. Mine came from Gasbike. The people there are obviously getting tired of hearing about the chain. They were very defensive before concluding it was installed incorrectly. I agree with people who've posted on this forum who say the chain tensioner was made for a larger chain. No matter how we angled the engine or wheel the tensioner would push the chain off of alignment. The tensioner wheel was too wide for the 410, it made the chain enter the front sprocket at an angle. The #41 fits perfectly. It does not fall off the engine. Also it is exactly the same width as the tensioner. Fits like a glove and works perfectly. What human being peddles nearly 3 horse power? The chain I got in my kit stretched and kept falling off both sprockets. Mainly the smaller one. I have to say, for those who got the 410 chain to work - right on. Glad you had good luck! Everyone else should upgrade to the #41 to be safe.