My first build - Huffy Santa Fe

GoldenMotor.com

Bovine

Aug 14, 2014
Rochester, MN
For my first build I thought I would start cheap so I Bought a Huffy Santa Fe from K-Mart for $130 and the 66cc engine kit off ebay for about the same price. Only other purchases so far are replacement (higher quality) tubes and a front caliper brake (The Tektro one off Amazon) that was just delivered. Everything went together pretty easily but there is a little play in the rear wheel bearings I will have to try and correct. I Plan on doing that and firing it up for the first time tonight.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Welcome to our community, Bovine. It appears you're off to a good start. Everything I can see looks okay. I also see you removed the fenders. That's a good choice unless you spend some time and build reinforcements for the way they mount.

Be sure to address that rear wheel bearing issue before riding. That could cause you some problems if not corrected.
Let us know how the maiden voyage goes. Good luck, have fun and ride safe.

Tom

AssembleThis

May 11, 2014
NC United States
Hi Bovine!

Welcome to the forum. Nice ride. I'm thinking of doing a steel frame myself for my next build. Yeah I would seriously recommend taking your hubs apart and greasing before riding. I bought my la jolla from wally world and the bearings were dry. Seems other riders have had wheels lock up as well.

Have fun, be safe!

dnut

Dave
AssembleThis

Bovine

Aug 14, 2014
Rochester, MN
So she started right up the first try. At low speeds its pretty boggy but runs smoother at higher speeds. Also, the carburetor keeps popping off no matter how tight I get it. It also won't stay running at idle. Sounds like I have some carburetor tuning to do but I don't know much about small engines so I guess I have some reading to do. I am open to suggestions on any of these issues. Today I added one of the vintage speedometer/odometers and front brake.

Greg