Another Fix- it Thread ( Clutch issues ?!? )

GoldenMotor.com

da1nonlysteven

Dec 31, 2010
Oshawa Ontario
Hello!

Just installed 80 cc from zoombikes, this is my second build and I have to admit I am stumped. This is checking that the engine is ok so no fuel was used in these starts all I was trying to do was get the engine to turn over!

When trying to start the bike for the first time it puttered a little then the back wheel locked ( While clutch engages to start engine ) releasing the clutch released the back wheel so it was OK to pedal.

Taking the spark plug out I was able to have the engine turn over and this leads me to believe that it is the compression / clutch that is stopping the wheel from turning and starting engine.

I am sure this has to do with my clutch adjustment / setup. Is it too tight? Or too loose?

I tried loosening it ( The clutch) but the back tire would spin but no engine turn over.

I tried tightening it ( The Clutch ) and the bike MAY turn over a few times and then lock the back wheel and like I said taking the clutch off allowed me to pedal normally. It locks the back wheel 95% of the time and turns the engine 5% ( Surprisingly the 5% was going uphill in my driveway) thus making the bike impossible to start without a pull start. Tried installing one that I have had for my other bike and I could not loosen the nut of the magneto.

I am sure this has to do with my clutch adjustment / setup. Is it too tight? Or too loose?

Any and all suggestions are appreciated !

Thanks,

Steven Gill

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
You should not turn the engine without the fuel/oil mix, most of these engines have set for awhile and are fairly dry of oil on all moving parts. If you will drip some 2-cycle oil in the spark plug hole to lube the rings it should help.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
How fast are you pedaling before engaging the clutch? You need to be moving at 8 to 10MPH before releasing the clutch. An engine with good compression might stop the rear wheel from turning if you're not pedaling fast enough.

What do you mean by "adjusting the clutch"? What did you adjust?
Tom

da1nonlysteven

Dec 31, 2010
Oshawa Ontario
Pedaling at 8-10 like suggested. This is not my first bike so I know that I am using the correct starting procedures. And by adjusting I mean tightening and loosening the flower nut. I feel like its something simple that I am overlooking and my tired brain has got me scratching my head. Its just odd that it will pedal fine then when trying to start it locks the tire instantly. On the rare occasion it will turn over but only 8-10 cycles then it locks again. W/O spark plug it constantly turns over so I know the engine is not seized and I can feel air out the spark plug hole.

Thanks,

Steven Gill

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
If the rear tire slides the clutch is doing its job, the compresion of the engine without the aid of combustion of gas will cause this.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
The only other thing I thought of was to check the small gear on the crank for tightness, I had a bgf kit that was loose when I got it. If that is ok you may just have very good compression, it should free up a bit after you run it.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
I ran across the same problem on one of my builds. Me at 215# could start the engine but my son at 165# couldn't. When he attempted to start, the rear tire would slide. Problem...the compression was too high...Solution....added a second head gasket. Weight on the bike has a lot to do with it in starting.

Last edited:

da1nonlysteven

Dec 31, 2010
Oshawa Ontario
Thank you all for your suggestions. Will get a chance to try those tonight or tomorrow on a test ride. Weather is cold here in Toronto so not the best riding weather !

Thanks,

Steven

da1nonlysteven

Dec 31, 2010
Oshawa Ontario
Re: Another Fix- it Thread ( Clutch issues ?!? ) FIXED!

Fixed !

Turns out that the only time it would get stuck is when the piston was in TDC. So I took it apart and put in another head gasket ( From my old motor ) and voila ! a working engine that purrs. Turns out it was getting stuck on the top of the jug !

On a sidenote after riding 10 kms and on my way home the chain jumped, then locked in the clutch actuator cover and blew apart my master link. Which way should the master link clip pin be facing when installed on the chain? I thought it was towards the back of the bike ( Open part) when its on the upper ( drive) side of the chain. Wondering if I installed incorrectly or maybe just a "weak" link.

Thanks,

Steven Gill