Sudden loss of power climbing

GoldenMotor.com

tbarrack

Nov 23, 2011
Austin, TX
I have a 66cc that's been running great for 2 months. Out of nowhere today it just started losing power when climbing hills or running hard. Starts up fine and runs well when idling or putting around. But as soon as you start to climb it goes, then sputters, goes, sputters, etc. I am certainly new to motorized bicycles and have limited mechanical ability but am trying to learn. Anybody have any idea where I should start??thanks

leadfarmer

Sep 30, 2011
VA
Is it 4 stroking? Look at a youtube video if you don't know what 4 stroking is. You may need to lean out the engine a little more.

tbarrack

Nov 23, 2011
Austin, TX
Thanks leadfarmer. I just watched a vid and it sounds like it for sure. From what I gather from here I should check the air filter, and if that isn't it adjust the carb to give more air less gas?

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
For correcting a too rich air/ fuel mixture the fix is to tune the carb for more air, less gas. Yes you have it right. Start by lowering the slide needle clip by one notch and testing how it rides.

diceman2004

Aug 26, 2009
Kitchener , Ontario
another way to adjust the FUEL / AIR ratio , is by adjusting your fuel mix .
( your motor was running good before so its probably set up ok )

if yo want your engine to run leaner FUEL/AIR ... you can also do this by lowering your FUEL/OIL ratio ( add more oil ) keep doing plug checks , to make sure its not too much .

Sounds more like a dirty air filter though , if it was running good before .

tbarrack

Nov 23, 2011
Austin, TX
Turns out it was a dirty air filter after all. Back up and running great! Thanks to everyone for the help and great advice...