Can't get plug wire out of CDI

GoldenMotor.com

Stormsorter

Jun 10, 2010
Jasper County Illinois
I wanted to upgrade my wire to try and get my speedo working but it just wont unscrew from the CDI. The boot unscrewed with little effort. I'm afraid to just rip it out and end up not being able to put a new wire on then have to wait on a new CDI . Are there CDI's with a permanent wire or are some just extremely stubborn? The kit was from Zooms ebay store and the sticker said it was a Flying Horse.

rwquiring

Feb 18, 2010
Bend, Oregon
I had the same problem with a CDI that I got as a replacement from BB. I think that it was superglued in or something, I ended up ruining it trying to get it out, luckly I had a spare, I do not know why it was like that.

Q

Stormsorter

Jun 10, 2010
Jasper County Illinois
Hmm maybe moving the cdi farther away and wrapping it with foil and electric tape will block enough of the interference. I doubt it but it's worth a shot. Don't want to tare it up then fave to wait for a new one just to get the speedo working.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
as far as i've seen (and read) all the CDI's are the same as far as unscrewing the wire. it should twist out counterclockwise. there's screw threads inside, some might be glued in, and one of mine was a little tough to get out, but i don't see why they'd make one that didn't come apart, when plug wires are part of any engine's basic tune-up.

if the wire gets shredded, it should still come out, even if you have to cut it and pick at it.

also, i'm not 100% positive ALL CDI's have a screw in wire, but i haven't seen one yet that isn't.

Stormsorter

Jun 10, 2010
Jasper County Illinois
That's what I thought but wasn't sure. Thought some might be soldered or something and didn't want to have to buy a new one. All I'm really trying to do is get rid of EMI and RFI to get my speedometer working. Think I'm gona try a resistor plug first. To bad I have to go 25 miles to find a BR6HS even though I can see a NAPA from my house. NGK makes them buy a box of 10 so I would have to buy 10 to get them to order. They do have an Autolite 25 and 26 in stock might try one of them tell I can get a BR6HS. The 25 and 26 are the same as an Autolite 425 that some suggest just a at 11.6mm (1mm shorter than BR6HS) and has a resistor.

TheE

Jun 26, 2009
Canada
Try wrapping the pickup wire of the speedo a few turns around the front fork, it'll act as an inductor and filter out some of the noise. It worked on mine, at least.

Btw, I have a CDI from Zoom and the wire unscrewed just fine.

Stormsorter

Jun 10, 2010
Jasper County Illinois
Mines wireless got it at the Pacific Cycles factory store for $10 and DelMar for $75 both new hehe. Love having the factory store nearby almost always half retail price. Anyway tried the Autolite 25 it was actually longer than the stock plug even though it was suppose to be shorter but didn't help any. Tracked down a BR6HS gona pick it up in the morning and a wire (Omnispark only single I can find). If that ain't enough gona try some lil 0.1uf things I have for RC motor interference on the other wires. If that dont work I'll have just have to get another speedo. I'll post my results tomorrow if I get time to try it all out.

Last edited:

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I never had much luck getting the plug wire out of the CDI but then again I never really tried, cool if that end comes out too, a little better and shielded plug wire might help for everything.

I know other upgraded wiring does.
Check out my http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=19737 topic here.
It may help with your speedo RF interference problem.

I think I'll try some upgraded plug wire too if the wire comes out of the CDI easy.
I keep a garage door opener on my bike and it is pretty close to the plug wire.

Hanging where I like it there the opener range with the wire upgrade only reaches ~100' with the motor running, but a house or two away if I held it up in my hand.
A good plug wire and as mentioned a resistor plug might help us both.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I've had a few CDIs that the wire was stuck in... I ended up cutting back the cover of the CDI just a bit & digging out the wire from inside the CDI with a small drill bit.
I was still able to get it all out & install a new wire! (Just be careful not to break off the tiny screw inside the CDI.)

Stormsorter

Jun 10, 2010
Jasper County Illinois
Thanks to all who reassured me there is a screw in the CDI. Now to dig out my old E-Zilla to rob it of a ferrite ring. Hopefully the BR6HS, shielded wire, and the ferrite on the kill switch wire will allow my speedo to work. Will report results after testing. Oh it was glued in there really good and the glue had that tan color like Gorilla Glue or Liquid Nails. Dug it out with an old disposable hobby knife.

Well looks like I'll just have to get wired speedo. Oh well looks like my mountain bike gets this wireless one.

Last edited:

Jumpa

Aug 12, 2011
Cape Cod
Take a hair dryer put it on the hottest setting, then apply a bit of spin on the wire in a counter clock wise direction to create tension and before you know it it will start to unscrew & presto ..Remember where there is a will there is a way The stock wires are good for about 10-15 runs after that they start to crack and do not insulate the wire the way they should any more To test your wire just reach down as it's running and run your hand along the wire if you feel a tingling sensation get a new wire & boot. I would not recommend doing this test while riding bike like I did. Makes for unsteady handling dance1 [/I]

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I've run across one CDI with the wire glued in. It was a SkyHawk motor kit back in May. I was able to dig the wire out, little piece at a time with a very small screwdriver.