Please Help I Miss My Ride

GoldenMotor.com

Cyclin

Jul 4, 2011
California
My bike hasn't started for a week now! Last Thursday or so my bike ran a good 14 miles to work. 4 hours after my morning ride I tried to take the bike out again and it started up started cutting out, and every now and then make a sharp popping noise. So I had it picked up to fix at home.

So I initially thought that I was not getting a spark because the engine would barely make a deeper growl when pulled the throttle. Though that still may be the problem I just ordered and replaced both the magneto and the CDI and the engine is still not turning over.

Please can someone shed some light on this I was just getting used to riding 30 miles a day and loving it.

impression

Feb 26, 2009
Syadney,Australia
adjust the choke

see if there's something caught in the fual line or in the in-tank fuel filter blocking it

undo the litle screw at the bottom of the carby and see if fuel leaks out... ( to see if fuel flows nicely into the fuel bowl )

also change your spark plug. probably running too rich and the spark plug has all gummed up...

Cyclin

Jul 4, 2011
California
It works!!!

So I got the bike running again. Turns out it was the magneto or the CDI. After installing both of those new last night and it not working I waited a couple hours. I then realized I may have installed the mag upside down and re-checked the notes I made when taking it apart. After flipping it over and putting the case back on voila! Bike's running again but it is still not getting the "umph" it used to.

I replaced my spark plug with a NGK B6HS in hopes I would get back the strength I had in the beginning. Also, I removed, cleaned and replaced the air filter on the carb. I think you may be right and that my bike may be running too rich. Unfortunately I am not too sure the proper way to fix that. I understand the spring-loaded screw coming out of the carb controls the richness. How would I gauge different settings for that?

Do I tighten it a quarter-turn and then ride to feel a difference? And just keep tightening or loosening a quarter-turn at a time? Or is there a better way to do this?

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
Welcome Cyclin :) that would be the idle screw. Leave it alone for a while. It won't idle till its broken in anyway. The wires that lead to the CDI just plug in are a joke. I always soider mine. Slide heat shrink wrap over the wires first. Then heat the wrap. A good hair dryer works on high. (c)

Cyclin

Jul 4, 2011
California
Thanks for the info Saddle. The bike should be pretty broken in by now though. I have ridden it 30+ miles everyday for a couple months. And though my bike was idling fine a while ago now the engine just cuts out as I come to a complete stop.

Any suggestions?

I hear what your saying about those wires, I noticed their quality the moment I unpackaged them. I plugged them in and wrapped each setup in electrical tape just to be safe.

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
Cyclin, this the part I hate the most, without being there to see and hear the bike, it will be something you will need to do on your own. Screw the idle screw all the way in and back it off 3 turns. Use a marker to watch how far it turns. Might be a carb air leak, bad fuel, don't know. Jump in and find the awnser. It's there, I promise it is, just need too find it. :) (c)

Cyclin

Jul 4, 2011
California
Thanks. I guess I was just looking for an easy answer. But where's the fun in that? I believe I have gotten the idle screw set just right now. One more idle question though, I noticed that running without a muffler my idle performed much differently. I am replacing the muffler this week with a different style and was wondering if I will have to re-set my idle?

By the way, the carb is a stock NT, something I didn't know last week. It was not pre-assembled with my kit, but I assembled it roughly 3 months ago. Either this week or next week I will be replacing the carb as well with either a Dax RT or a CNS V2.