Were you affected by the power outage?

GoldenMotor.com

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Power was lost in my neighborhood around 3:40pm came back on around 11:00pm.
The extent of the blackout went from south Orange County,CA, east to Yuma,AZ and south into Tijuana Mexico. The apparent cause was an employee in southeastern Yuma tried to replace a malfunctioning piece of equipment in a major switching station and this lead to a very strong short circuit which lead to a cascading failure of the power grid. Approximately 6 million customers were affected.
I am sure that there will be more information on the Friday morning news.

I learned that my neighbors are more than willing to look out for each other, and I made a few new friends.

I spent the early evening siphoning gasoline (with permission from the various vehicle owners) using my MityVac fluid transfer pump. The gas was needed to run a generator in a motor home to power a dialysis machine that a neighbor's wife needed.

Free beer and bar-b-que'd pizza was the reward for my efforts.

All in all a pretty weird and yet fun night.

The power has been back on for 50 minutes now as I type this out.

ToxicAz520

Mar 11, 2011
Tucson,Arizona
Thats really good to here that everyone can come together in a time of need and that you made new friends. I personally was not affected by the power outage but i work for roadside assistance in call center and was getting nothing but gas delivery calls from people there running out of gas in the traffic jams or that didnt have enough to get home cause all the gas pumps were down.