Can't remove muffler end-cap

GoldenMotor.com

Mozenrath

Jan 13, 2011
California
I want to trim the tubes inside my muffler, but even with the bolt out I still can't get the thing off with any of the tools that I have. It's come out before while riding, but now I can't even get it off that way. There there any trick for squeezing that thing off?

James912

Apr 12, 2011
Florida
Have you tried getting long skinny screwdriver and when most of the screw driver is in the muffler try to pry it up with the screwdriver?

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
Sounds like the end-cap is seized on there; probably due to temperature changes. Go for a short ride so the muffler gets nice and hot. As soon as you get back attempt to take the cap off (use gloves of course) with a screwdriver & hammer. The heat will allow the metal to be more flexable, therefore, the cap should come off with a little elbow grease. :)

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Good idea to heat it up first with a short ride... you might try whacking it with a hammer, cushioned with a block of wood so you don't dent up the pipe???
rc
BTW, I pulled my muffler cap off and could not get the baffles out of the pipe.
Gonna need to bust something inside to get it to flow better... or cut the cannister off the front cap on the band saw and take it from there.

Yup, that's me lookin at that SBP pipe in the blinky ad on the left column!!! :)

Last edited:

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Find a bolt or piece of rod,drill bit ect. that fits snug in the outlet pipe. Stick it in there then clamp it in a vise with cardboard ect to protect finish. The bolt allows good clamping pressure without damaging the pipe.

Take a scrap of aluminum rod or plate and put it against the narrow edge of the muffler body end, next to the cap and tap with a hammer, alternating from one side to the other. The aluminum is softer and won't damage the muffler.

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
It isn't welded on is it? I've never actually seen one but several members have reported that the end cap of their mufflers had been welded from the factory. Check the seam where the cap fits onto the muffler body for some small weld beads.

With that said keep in mind that increasing the noise from your engine will do nothing good for our hobby. Shortening the baffle tube will not give you any noticeable power increase but it will be louder. Often people mistake the increased noise level for power. It ain't necessarily so.
Tom