Carb Help!!!! 80cc engine

GoldenMotor.com

gulfexports159

Jul 14, 2011
Pa,USA
I just bought a 80cc really 66cc I know motor kit. At first wouldnt run at all. I added a intake gasket and now it will idle but it boggs down and stalls when i engage the clutch. It is way to rich as fuel is dripping from the exhaust. Any help would be great! Why dont the put mixture adjustments on these things?

gulfexports159

Jul 14, 2011
Pa,USA
the chinese one with the bgf kit that only has idle adjustment it has a black air filter. I just had it apart and adjusted the float valve and not much difference. Do i need a new one?

skrew37

Feb 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
No, probably not. I think you have the NT "speed" carb. I have the CNS which I'm kind of familiar with. Search the threads here and I guarantee you'll find the help you need. Hang in there and don't give up yet!

gulfexports159

Jul 14, 2011
Pa,USA
thanks ill try but it is very frustrating. I am thinking of getting the racing carb or performance carb to solve the problem with the junk carb.

skrew37

Feb 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
I was just looking at the performance carb from that'sdax. I might have frame clearance issues. They say it kicks the CNS and NT's butt.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
You may try to move the e-clip to the top groove on the needle, then run it till the engine warms up at low speed. A rich mixture before the engine is at operating temp. will bogg. But after its hot will burn all the fuel.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
it boggs down and stalls when i engage the clutch. Are you trying to start from a complete stop, or are you pedaling up to speed then releasing the clutch to go under engine assist? These are not motorcycle engines. They don't have the power to pull strongly from a dead stop.Why dont the put mixture adjustments on these things? They do. You can adjust the clip position on the slide needle and/ or change out the fuel jet. Slide needle controls fuel mixture from 1/8 throttle to 3/4 throttle. Fuel jet controls fuel mixture from 3/4 throttle to full throttle.
Here's a thread by Norman on the little beast:
http://motorbicycling.com/f4/motorized-bicycle-carburetor-pictures-how-install-195.html

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
thanks ill try but it is very frustrating. I am thinking of getting the racing carb or performance carb to solve the problem with the junk carb.
I'm not sure what's wrong with your bike, but most people here love the NT, and hate the CNS carb.

Wm Holden

Jun 1, 2011
Ventura California
break in is important....run with the NT you have it will loosen up shortly...patience....run till hot...if it wont rev up adjust the c clip on the needle...don't start with the float...unless it's just pouring gas.

James912

Apr 12, 2011
Florida
try taking your gas cap off and then starting it. If it runs fine, drill a hole right above the oring in the cap.

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
I just bought a 80cc really 66cc I know motor kit. At first wouldnt run at all. I added a intake gasket and now it will idle but it boggs down and stalls when i engage the clutch. It is way to rich as fuel is dripping from the exhaust. Any help would be great! Why dont the put mixture adjustments on these things?
I don't have an NT carb, I have CNS, but I had a problem at first where fuel was just pouring through the engine and it ran like crap in every way. What I found to be the problem was the float adjustment, which was super easy to fix on the CNS. The way I figured this out was pretty simple, and something you might try...
Start the bike and take a little ride, then turn OFF your fuel valve. If your bike starts to run really sweet for a while and then runs out of fuel you probably need to adjust the float. I found this by accident when I forgot to turn on the fuel for one ride, was the best ride I ever had (on this new build), I couldn't believe (or understand) why it was suddenly running so great, then I ran out of gas. Turning the fuel back on she started back up, but ran crappy again, turn off the fuel and a couple seconds later it was running great again, until she ran out of gas.
So I pulled the carb, then dropped the bowl and observed the float. Moving it up and down you can feel where the float engages the needle valve, there is a little tab (on the cns carb) that activates the needle valve. I just bent that tab until the needle valve was being operated when the float was in a horizontal position. My carb does not mount completely horizontal due to the engine position on the frame, so I tried to estimate the riding position of the carb and adjusted the float to be horizontal when the carb is in that position.
Ever since then my engine has run MUCH better. She finally idles properly, the "choke" works well to adjust the idle, she starts right up and seems to have good torque over a wider band of RPM. I now have a little less top end than before, so I need to do some more tuning on the carb to match the new float settings, but it seems things are much closer to right since I made my float adjustment.
I was afraid of the carb at first, now I can see no reason why I should have been, it really isn't that hard to work with. On the CNS I just pull the cables off (remove the two screws and both throttle and choke cables/plungers/barrel come out) then loosen the clamp and slide the carb off. Turn carb over to drain out fuel (or run the bike with the gas off until it runs dry before you pull the carb) and pull the screws out of the bottom of the carb. The bowl should come right off and expose the float. It's easy as pie from there...
Again, this was on a CNS carb, but I assume the bowl and float on the NT carb has got to be kinda similar....
Good luck fixing your problem....
PS Make sure you always turn off your fuel valve when the engine isn't running!