Crank case getting hot

GoldenMotor.com

Farthom

May 16, 2010
Canada
Ok so I just finished completely rebuilding my engine. I had a shim or something break in two and muck up my cylinder. In any case, I got a new cylinder, new piston rings, and a new cylinder head. After a LOT of S**T and D**N over woodruff keys and having my magneto on backwards it runs. However within the first 15 mins I have noticed a few things and wanted to make sure everything is ok.

First, I notice the crankcase gets pretty hot. It seems like it gets hotter than it did previously, but I don't have much of a frame of reference. I can smell something that smells like burning rubber, however I figure its just the super oily fuel burning off oil. Has anyone here had similar problems? Could this be signs of something really sinister?

Second... It has much less power than it did before. I am aware the piston rings need to seat and this likely has no happened yet. Also, the fuel mixture is super oily. (Likely more oily than even needs to be for break in) so I am willing to wait a bit to see if this situation improves. I just thought I'd toss it out there.

Things that might be important:

I broke one of the new piston rings during assembly. So right now it has one old and one new piston ring.

I did not replace any bearings. Some of the bearings were a bit "sandy" but I cleaned them out the best I could. I did repack them with grease also.

I had to get a bit western on the thing (thanks Norman for that term!) when trying to get the magneto, and the small sprocket on. It wasn't all out western, but it took a few hammer hits.

Let me know what you guys think. Should I be concerned, or just keep riding it gently during break in.

Matt

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Cases getting hot is normal.
Burning rubber smell could be caused by a heavy pre-mix/ gas ratio.
Running with one new ring and one old ring is not exactly good, but it's not the worst that could be done either.
Less power could be caused by the rings not being seated (AKA broken in)
into the cylinder causing excessive blow by. Even though one ring is new and the other old, they both need some time to wear into the particulars of the new cylinder that they have just been introduced to. That's why "breaking in" is also sometimes referred to as "marrying the parts".
An incorrect air/ fuel ratio will reduce the power as well. What color is the spark plug?

Sandy bearings are garbage. Any sort of grit in them means certain doom.

Getting "western" is sometimes necessary, as long as it is not 5lb sledge hammer "western".
Double check the magneto area and engine sprocket area to be sure that nothing is rubbing or wearing funny. The western installation technique can lead to unexpected parts positioning.

Farthom

May 16, 2010
Canada
Thanks for all the info. I'm more confident things are fine. My only remaining concern is the bearings. What can go wrong if my bearings are crap? If I were to run it until the bearings fail, would it be a matter of just replacing the bearings? I just want it to last 3 weeks until I get all new engines.

Matt

Pilotgeek

Apr 6, 2011
Green Bay, WI
Well, if the needle bearings decide to take a vacation, they'll probably go to places of the engine they aren't supposed to be. A lot of times, a needle bearing going out could take out the whole top-end. That's the bearing I'm most concerned about, personally, as they aren't of very high quality to begin with.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
If the ball bearings on either end of the crank shaft or transmission shaft go bad, you will hear horrible sounds and the engine will vibrate like mad. It could continue to run, or not, until things get bad enough that something internal lets go and you will be left pedaling home if the rear wheel does not lock up and cause an incident first.

I do not want to come across like a doomsday preacher, but that about sums it up.

Farthom

May 16, 2010
Canada
Well as long as there's some warning signs before this happens. The engine doesn't sound as healthy as it did before, but it doesn't sound like it about to blow up. If it starts making a racket I'd shut it down. I just wont wanna be rolling along smooth and suddenly LOCK...... SKID... BOOM.