My float doesn't.

GoldenMotor.com

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I went for a ride yesterday. It started up normal, but after a little warm up the power didn't feel right. Then it started running worse. Then it didn't run at all. By then I was about a mile away from the house.

I thought maybe I ran out of gas, but no it had 1/2 a tank. Then I noticed drops of gas falling on the ground under my motor. Glancing at the carb, it looked like gas pouring out of my float bowl, so I had to turn off the petcock.

It sucked riding home knowing my motor was broke, but it was great being able to peddle home under my own power. Ain't it great having backup propulsion

Later when I removed the float bowl I found this. The old leaking float, full of gas failure. I guess I need a new float, or a new carb?

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Cheap Chinese junk! Well, you know....it happens. At least it's an easy fix. I've seen just the floats for sale somewhere around here and cheap.

dnut

Ruby478

Apr 2, 2011
Dallas,Tx
had that same problem , i didn't wanna waste my time fixing it i just bought a new carb from pistonbikes.com had it rushed over, 2 days later back to riding again

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I just go to the doughnut shop and buy "day old"....they float for a while and they're cheaper than dirt laff

dnut shop
LOL, I hope you don't get the sugar coated ones. The sugar wouldn't be good for the rest of the engine :) I'd get the plain ones and blow off the crumbs.
Tom

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I got a whole sack full of the Hostess brand powdered ones gone hard. You mean I can't use them.:-||

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Finally got my float today, and my bike is running well again.

I ordered online on 4/2/11 and got it on 4/14/11. No comment on the service, just glad to be back on the road.

Last edited:

hpjc10

May 3, 2010
Medford
That might work, but notice there's a hole in the center of the float that the jet holder goes down into.

you could use a section of pen tubing, drill a hole through the two caps. if you were skilled, you could melt the plastics together, or even use hot glue.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
you could use a section of pen tubing, drill a hole through the two caps. if you were skilled, you could melt the plastics together, or even use hot glue.
At that point you could prolly repair the original float with the same skills.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Still even then that is a delicate balance. If you make the float too heavy it will not work. Think buoyancy. A thick piece of cork might be the one thing that would be peachy. The little original plastic floats are still simply cheap enough to replace and get a new one tho. I would just replace it with a new one my self.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Just wondering, you haven't spent a lot of time in prison by chance lol?

Jan 13, 2011
WEST MIFFLIN PA
I called dax and Duane called me back. I didn't see the floats and was going to ask him to send a spare with a new NT. He goes right into telling me how to fix the float.

-Hold it under very hot water to expand the air inside to see where she leaks.
-Mark this w a sharpie.
-Drill w ur tiny jetting bit to open up the hole.
-Put another tiny hole opposite this one to blow out gas.
-Smear plastic over holes with hot iron
-Reassemble
-Rock On

I got my parts ordered anyway, first timer for this and I want a backup.

Thanks Duane, How's the performance/play?

hpjc10

May 3, 2010
Medford
I called dax and Duane called me back. I didn't see the floats and was going to ask him to send a spare with a new NT. He goes right into telling me how to fix the float.

-Hold it under very hot water to expand the air inside to see where she leaks.
-Mark this w a sharpie.
-Drill w ur tiny jetting bit to open up the hole.
-Put another tiny hole opposite this one to blow out gas.
-Smear plastic over holes with hot iron
-Reassemble
-Rock On

I got my parts ordered anyway, first timer for this and I want a backup.

Thanks Duane, How's the performance/play?
This idea would work best, it seems, especially if it is just a small leak.