A good man and respected motorized bicycler has taken a nasty spill

GoldenMotor.com

dvddtz

Feb 15, 2009
Gulf Breeze, FL
Re: A good man and respected MB'er has taken a nasty spill

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.I think I will go helmet shopping this week.

oylavabeer

Jan 9, 2009
Perth Australia

get better Heres hopeing your on the road again soon. These things need to be respected like a motor bike and we proably should wear leathers ( not that I do, even on a motorbike , it's hot here )

AndyT

Mar 27, 2009
Franklin, TN

Wow, what rotten luck! Did Craigs bike have a steel fender on it? I feel his pain.

I used to ride and race road bicycles and was on a long descent doing over 50mph when my front tire just went flat. I was very lucky and I rode it out to a stop while watching the tire go from one side of the rim to the other. The guys I was riding with couldn't believe I didn't eat it and die! Incidents like this really do make you think. Craig will be back in the saddle soon I'm sure! Get well fast.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.I think I will go helmet shopping this week.
Good idea. I had a fireman buddy that crashed doing 20mph years ago. He left his helmet at home and woke up in the hospital after they opened his skull up to repair some of the damage. He never worked again and never did get where he could remember names. He just called everyone "buddy". The docs said if he had a helmet on he would have walked away.

A regular bicycle helmet is probably all we need. I spent $40.00 on a new one last week. I won't ride without it.

Last edited:

toker_ace

Oct 15, 2008
alabama

yep. Taking the little girl easter egg hunting and then I'm going by Dick's Sporting Goods and getting me a new helment.I've gotten out of wearing my wal mart helmet because it looked so dam stupid. Come to think about it - I probably look stupid'er without it.Get well soon, things happen for a reason and all of us realizing we need to always wear or helments might be a good one! .crt.

AndyT

Mar 27, 2009
Franklin, TN

Dick's (gotta love that name) has the Giro Indicator helmet that I ended up buying. It is supposed to be a "universal fit" and it seems to be; fits my big head and can be sized for small heads too. It looks less stupid than most and will protect you brains.

ZnsaneRyder

Nov 21, 2008
FLORIDA

What shocking and disturbing news to find out. I hope Craig gets well soon, and will be able to continue to ride in the future.

-ZnsaneRyder

perplexium

Oct 21, 2008
Irvine

Hope you feel better Craig! i have taken a nasty spill like yours before, although instead of tire blow out, the front spindle snapped and i was going 35mph, I too was wearing a helmet and thankfully for my camel pack i was able to walk away from it with a broken finger and a few scratches ill post pictures of the bike and the wheels that were bent to high ****. Unfortunately we don't all get lucky like i did but its just a warning to be caution when riding falls hurt. GET WELL SOON! AND GET BACK OUT!!!!

eDJ

Jul 8, 2008
Wayne National Forest

I'm sorry to hear about this but just as glad to hear he was wearing a helment. I do hope
he mend well and can continue. I had read once where mile per mile of travel a bicycle
has the highest accident statistic so owning and wearing a helment should go without
question.

I've had a spill or two on my motorcycles and realized the difference a helment could make
back then. Recently, back in Feburary, I slipped on the "black ice" in front of my place on the
concrete driveway. There was a thin dusting of snow over it and I was sweeping it with a broom
when my feet went out from under me and I landed near horizontally hitting butt first and a
second later slamming the back of my head to the concrete. I didn't even have a hat on and
was knocked dizzy. How I wished I had put on a helment. By the time I got upstairs I had blood
dripping all over my shoulders where my head had hit on a seam in the concrete and sliced my scalp open soaking my hair full of blood. The whole thing happened within a few seconds.

Had I been closer to the curb I'd have broken my neck and not writing this.

So, I'm glad Kawasaki is pulling out of it now and hope he drinks his milk to get his bones
strong again. I think of these lessons everytime I see a motorcycle with a sticker on it that
says "Helment Laws Suck". (try having a bad spill without a helment)

Last edited:

rkorson4209

Oct 10, 2009
michigan

Just get a helmet...you'll never Know when it will be needed!!!

Jim
Man I bought a helmet a week or so ago, and it still is in the bag with all tags on it,lol. Aftr reading this, i am deff. getting it ready for my next ride. Wow that is scary.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota

I don't know you Craig, but I'm sorry to hear about the accident. It is a reminder for the rest of us and as other posts suggest, people are taking to heart the wisdom of wearing a helmet. For me it is also a heads up to be more diligent about checking the tightness of fittings, checking air pressure in the tires and resisting the impulse to go just a little bit faster than I should. Wishing you well,
SB

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com

It is a "heads-up" for everyone...things do happen!

Craig has a really nice high-dollar bike that tops out at over 50mph. 5hp Tanaka rack mount.

Luckily the blow out didn't happen at top speed!!! He was going 25mph at the time.

He was in the hospital for nearly 2 weeks, and it was several months after that before he was feeling "back to normal".

Craigs accident was due to a defective tire...he found out that the tire was sold as being correct for his wheel, when in fact it was just slightly larger due to a manufacturing error. Under pressure it separated from the rim!

Craigs accident was a fluke...but everyone should follow these steps to safety on every ride:

1) Wear a Helmet...A 5 mph direct impact will cause life ending damage to the human skull. A helmet distributes the forces of an impact; giving you a much better chance of living through a nasty crash.

2) If anything "feels" funny...it probably is...STOP, and find the problem.

3) Don't go fast on a cheap bike...you're asking for trouble!!!

4) Watch traffic...because they aren't watching you!

Jim

Last edited:

diceman2004

Aug 26, 2009
Kitchener , Ontario

hey KAWASAKI , hurry up and get better , you don,t wanna let your nieghbours get too used to all that quietness . RIIIIIIING DING DING DING DING DING DING ... RIIIIIIIIING DING DING DING DING DING DING

or is it

KAA
WAAAAA
SAAAAAAAAAAAAA
KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

AaronF

Aug 24, 2009
Illinois

This defiantly makes me think more about when I ride.The trails I ride on at night have cliff drop offs nearly 100ft down.As crazy as I ride threw my town with no gear at top speed I think its time to consider at least some knee pads :) I'm a very experienced rider but experience or not something could happen.I hope Craig is doing better!

Charged-Reacter

Dec 12, 2008
west-central Illinois

I hope Craig heals up veryv fast. I have had 2-front blow outs at 25 mph and 1 rear blowout
at 35mph. Nothing that drastic happened with me...thank god.

RedB66

Dec 28, 2007
Sunshine State

Not to minimize the importance of this thread but..... you guys do realize this thread was started in April of 2009.

wes

Aug 17, 2009
Tucson Az

It doesn't matter what the helmet looks like...