At a Crossroads...

GoldenMotor.com

Techbiker

Oct 27, 2009
DFW, Texas
Right now I am not sure what to do with my bike. I have put together a relatively nice 2 stroke thatsdax kit on a smaller mountain bike frame. I would definitely benefit from a larger frame and I would like to eventually move to a reliable 4-stroke since I am planning a 1000 mile journey in a few months. Right now there are a few problems with my 2 stroke bike that I will need to sort through before I can put it on the market though:

1. The engine is tilting to one side since my chain is slightly too tight. I will get a half link to remedy this problem.

2. The carburetor is tilting to one side since there is not quite enough space between it and the seat post.

3. I'm running a 40 tooth sprocket but I am unable to hit speeds greater than about 25 mph without worrying about over revving the engine. It would be nice to have a 30 mph cruising speed.

The first problem is easy enough to fix, however the second is more complicated. I can get an offset intake from Grubee for my stock carburetor, but I could also just get the CNS carburetor which includes the offset intake, new fuel line, throttle cable, handle-bar choke, and better adjustability for $50. I am not sure if this is worth it if I am planning to sell the bike in a couple months. I usually ride the bike about 2x per week.

Finally, the 3rd problem is also complicated. I could get a 34 tooth sprocket from Andyinchville to go with my top-hat adapter for $25 but I am not sure that I will have enough power while going uphill (there are quite a few hills here). If I polished the intake and exhaust ports and tuned the CNS carburetor, could it make up for the 34 tooth sprocket? I could just go with a tuned pipe, but I don't really feel like putting another $70+ into this bike.

Also in a couple months, do you think that there will be a better selection of 4-stroke kits?

Thanks.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
Why would a 2-stroke not be reliable? you start it and it runs and runs.
You want to solve your problems, get a new bike.
Don't worry you wont over reving your engine,mine does 28-30 and still runs fine.
You don't have to go all the way to a 34t,you could get a 36t but you said you had hills,you might want to keep what you got. Your solution might be a more freeflowing exhaust.

AaronF

Aug 24, 2009
Illinois
I think your first step would be to spend the money on a new bike for better clearance and results..Not only that,you said your engine leans? Your motor needs to be mounted solidly against the frame tubing,that motor could possibly shift on you while riding from all the torque and cause future problems.The carburetor at a slight tilt depending on how much of a tilt its on shouldn't cause any problems if slightly angled.A 38T or 36T Sprocket should fit your needs pretty well.

Techbiker

Oct 27, 2009
DFW, Texas
Thanks for the replies. The reason why I would go with a 34t sprocket probably is because Andyinchville sells those for $25 versus $38 for the rest. I am using his special sprocket because I have one of his Top Hat adapters.

Should I go with a SBP Tuned Pipe instead of a CNS carburetor? Then should I start working on a new bike? The reason why I doubt the reliability of this 2 stroke is because it makes some strange noises and because I have heard that China Girls can be unreliable.

I'll make sure that the motor stays upright. Hopefully the correct length of chain will fix this.
Should I do the following in this order? What's your opinion?:

a. fix chain length, fix motor lean
b. install SBP tuned pipe and sand intake/ exhaust?
c. fix carburetor clearance problem
d. sell bike and work on new frame?

Thanks again.

AaronF

Aug 24, 2009
Illinois
Thanks for the replies. The reason why I would go with a 34t sprocket probably is because Andyinchville sells those for $25 versus $38 for the rest. I am using his special sprocket because I have one of his Top Hat adapters.

Should I go with a SBP Tuned Pipe instead of a CNS carburetor? Then should I start working on a new bike? The reason why I doubt the reliability of this 2 stroke is because it makes some strange noises and because I have heard that China Girls can be unreliable.

I'll make sure that the motor stays upright. Hopefully the correct length of chain will fix this.
Should I do the following in this order? What's your opinion?:

a. fix chain length, fix motor lean
b. install SBP tuned pipe and sand intake/ exhaust?
c. fix carburetor clearance problem
d. sell bike and work on new frame?

Thanks again.
These 2-Stroke motors make quite a bit of noise at first,once they are fully broken in the noise will quite down a bit..

For your safety,the main concern here is you need to mount the motor solid against the frame.If you can't,a cheap and easy fix would be to find a used bike with more clearance room to solve many problems.Check your local thrift stores for used bikes.

I don't really suggest upgrading and selling your first new build until it is reliable..Once you get the motor mounted against your bike strong and solid then bring in the upgrades!

Last edited: