How NOT to fill your tank

GoldenMotor.com

OzzyU812

May 15, 2008
"the bog" NH
I went to gas station with gas can to fill and the tank was nearly empty. I got the not so bright idea of putting the oil ( pre-measured for 1 quart of gas) in the tank then filling the can and goin back to fill the tank. Well the oil filed the filter and petcock enough to clog it. It was really really blue. LOL I thought it was just the filter so I turned off petcock and blew out the oil into the tank. For fear of screwing up the mix. How paranoid is that LOL! Put it back together still no flow. Had to pedal home not a beg deal from where i was at all downhill, nearly flat and only 2-3 miles. Got home covered the motor with a Wally type shopping bag. Drain it into a clean plastic coffee can. sloshed the petcock in the gas and reassembled.

Footnote:
I have a 80f DAX with slanthead, NGK B7HS & stock exhaust. I just leaned it all the way out. I going uphills at 30+ !! I don't know top speed on flat yet. It seems to run better uphill anyway.

OzzyU812

May 15, 2008
"the bog" NH
I tried that i got it flowing now. Its flowing out the petcock and out the filter.

Now, I can't get the thing to start! Its one thing or another with there things!
Its got spark not flooded I believe had the plug out and rolling it around to check spark. Could the card itself be to saturated with oil?? What's the best way to drain it? The screw at the bottom of the carb??

I'l check back later I'm screwing with for now. A man can only take so much.

Clotho

May 25, 2008
I have done this as well. :(

It is a good lesson. It reminds you why it is called 'PREMIX'

:)

chrisme

May 30, 2009
Maine
Last time I had to fill at the gas station I thought about this... and put in the gas first :)
I carry bottle that is marked. So I can get the exact right amount of oil. I try not to fill up at the gas station though. I usually top up before I leave the house. But things happen.

brandongordon2002

Apr 26, 2009
stoney creek ontario
Hey guys, the other day i was at petro canada getting gas for my bike, i filled my 5 gallon tank and put a bit of gas into my bikes tank to even off the price, when i got home i poured the oil directly into the tank and shook the bike, the next day i began having some troubles starting the bike, i would have to pedal up to 20hm/h and wait for about 5 seconds then she would fire up, when the engine is hot, it starts a bit better. Once the bike was started it worked perfectly like nothing was wrong accept for the fact that it also would not idle, so i drained the gas, cleaned the carb, and cleaned up the fowled spark plug and it was still giving me troubles starting. Today it took about 20 seconds at 20km/h to start it and once it did it ran fine accept for the idle, when i pulled into tim hortons the bike stalled. I tried to fire it up again and it would not start, ive checked for spark the old fashion way, touching the wire while riding the bike and it defiantly is sparking, it wants to start i think because you hear a bang every couple of seconds. Can anyone help me? Im out of ideas, the weird part is last night i went on a 30km ride with a buddy of mine and it ran the whole time once it was started.