I'm back

GoldenMotor.com

brobie15

Dec 8, 2008
AR
Hi all,
I have been gone for a while so I thought I should reintroduce myself. I have a cruiser style bike with a 80cc Kings engine. I am learning a lot with this project, but had a hard time getting the engine running, and then when I did, it only ran for a very short time. Now it's not starting and I am going back and checking everything again. How important is it to have the carb bowl level? I am asking because maybe this has been my problem all along. On one hand it would seem to be very important, but then again weed eaters are held in all different postions, so the bowl wouldn't always be level. The instructions didn't say anything about it, but most of the pictures I have seen have the carb bowl more level than mine. Thank you

MB-Monkey

Nov 19, 2008
Manchester TN USA
welcome back again.

My carb is on a slight slope nothing real radical i went thru a nightmare getting my kit to run as well. i can suggest a few things.

1. Are you getting fuel to the cylinder? try and start the bike with some throttle a couple of times then pull the plug. If it smells like gas your ok. If no fuel on the plug then your carb setup would be the problem.

2. If you have fuel check for spark take the plug out and attach it to the plug wire then hold it against the block and push the bike with the clutch out you should hear and or see a blue arc come from the sparkplug.

Just fuel and spark are all that is needed to make it go vroom

brobie15

Dec 8, 2008
AR
Hi HuffyCruiser,
Thanks for your suggestions. I think I will take a picture of it so you and others can see the angle. I am hoping I don't need to remount the engine since that will change how the chain fits, and it took me quite a while to get that right.

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
HI, AND WELCOME AGAIN!! WEEDWACKERS AND CHAINSAWS ETC HAVE A DIAFRAM TYPE CARBURATOR AND CAN RUN UPSIDE DOWN ETC. THE CHINA GIRL CARBURATOR IS A NEEDLE AND FLOAT TYPE, THE MORE LEVEL THE BETTER, ESPECIALLY FOR STARTING. WHEN RUNNING IT IS NOT AS CRITICAL, AS THERE SHOULD BE SOME AIR PRESSURE IN THE BOWL . IMHO!! RON.duh.:-||.wee. PS FEEL FREE TO USE ALL HIKERS EMOCONS, THEY RUN FOREVER AND HAVEN`T BROKEN DOWN YET!!!!laff

Last edited:

MB-Monkey

Nov 19, 2008
Manchester TN USA
it is not that radical you and i have the same bike lol i recognize the paint and stripes. did you drill thru the frame to mount it?

Truthfully i don't think that is enough pitch to cause a problem.

Did you try and start it then pull the plug to see if it smells like gas?

Did you check for spark? also if the kill switch is hooked up i would disconnect it from everything to make sure it is not grounding out the CDI there has been some problems with them.

Last edited:

brobie15

Dec 8, 2008
AR
Hi Huffy Cruiser,
Thank you for your response. I did drill a hole in the frame, although since then I have seen that some smart person figured out a way to use a muffler clamp for the front mount. I am glad you think the carb isn't slanted too much. I wasn't looking forward to having to move the engine.
I had been working on the bike, but then the pedal broke(stripped threads, cheesy kickstand too) and I had to wait for Huffy to send a new one. Before the pedal broke, I only had the bike running once and that was by accident. I forgot to move the petcock(which seemed to work properly when I tried it in different positions with the line in a cup) to "on" and I didn't use the tickler or the choke. Imagine my surprise when we took off. Unfortunately the bike was going like he** without any throttle. I stopped and when i pulled the clutch lever back in, the engine was roaring. I had to pop the clutch to get it to shut off, as I had already removed the kill switch. I adjusted the throttle to solve that problem and I have never got it to go since. I recently sealed the suggested areas with silicon, done none too neatly, as you can see from the picture, but I haven't tried it since then. I have been working on this beast for several months on and off and I am determined to get it to go. I have a 250cc scooter that I can use if I need to go where the speed limits are 55, but the bike would be perfect for around here, as we are four miles off the state highway. I had checked for ignition and fuel problems before the pedal broke, and if it won't start after sealing possible air leaks, I will have to go back and check everything again. Any suggestions are appreciated.

MB-Monkey

Nov 19, 2008
Manchester TN USA
here is the thread that lead to making my kit finally run

http://motorbicycling.com/f34/all-fuled-up-but-no-start-5133.html

everyone helped and had some ideas it is pretty complete with everything to check. take a peek thru it once you get your pedal

As far as the kickstand goes mine sucked as well so i bout a center mount duel stand from the bike shop it hangs kind of low but i have never hit anything it just keeps you from jumping curbs.

here is the thread about kickstands.

http://motorbicycling.com/f3/kickstand-anyone-tried-one-5362.html

And did you add your MB Limerick yet?
http://motorbicycling.com/f28/mb-limerick-poems-5419.html#post53455

Happy New Year come Join Us in Chat Box .spr. .bld..duh.

brobie15

Dec 8, 2008
AR
Thank you for those links. Your experience sounds very similar to mine. Quite a saga! I have printed everything out so I can easily refer to it. I will keep you posted and I appreciate your help.

brobie15

Dec 8, 2008
AR
Well, today I pulled the plug and laid it on the engine and I got the occaisonal small spark when I spun the back wheel. I also tried a couple of replacement plugs with the same results. (I did notice that the replacement plugs were longer; what's with that?)Most of the time, no spark. I have already replaced the magneto, CDI, plug, and plug wire. Tomorrow I will make sure that the wires between the magneto and the CDI are firmly connected. The kill switch has been removed, and the white wire capped with tape. I know that sometimes replacement parts can be defective, any idea which one it might be with the tiny very occaisonal spark. Any help will be very appreciated. This project is rapidly turning into my lifes' work, but I am still determined to get this thing going as I know it will be a lot of fun once I do.