Kill switch + engine help.

GoldenMotor.com

SlowBalt

Mar 8, 2010
Rhode Island
I have built around 20 2 smokers, and have never had this problem before.
The engine starts easy but has very low power and 4 strokes. The kill switch will not work. Even directly grounding the white wire only makes it idle a bit lower.
I have replaced the magneto and ignition box and still have the same result.
Any ideas would help.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Don't use the white wire. Wire the kill switch into the blue and black wire. The white wire is a major source of problems. It should not even be there.

If you have access to an ohm meter you can check to see if the kill switch contacts are closing when you depress the button.

Tom

SlowBalt

Mar 8, 2010
Rhode Island
I've disconected the white wire, and it still won't run rite. It idles fine but it has no power . If you give it full throttle it loses power. To get it up to any speed you have to taper the gas on very slow.

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Is this a new engine? Did it ever run right?
Sounds like a fuel delivery problem (carburetor) to me. Either way too rich or much too lean.
Nevertheless, if it's a brand new engine it makes me wonder if the magneto rotor (magnet) is not off. Recently a member posted a photo of a magnet that had been made wrong with the keyway cut so as to to drastically retard the ignition. His symptoms were similar to yours. Do you have another magnet that you can compare with?

Tom