Locking Clutch Handle

GoldenMotor.com

littletinman

May 15, 2012
Gaithersburg, MD
Can anyone recommend a good quality locking clutch handle? I've had three "explode" (spring and pin suddenly go flying mid-ride) on me and I want to get one I can depend on. I have to wait on a lot of lights and no squeezing the clutch would enable me to adjust things on the bike when necessarily from time to time.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
The clutch handle that came with my BGF kit works quite well...
That being said, I don't use it.

I kill the motor if I must stop for more than a minute.
IMO, the mechanism is not designed well enough to run for any extended period with the clutch dis-engaged. It would either be grabbing a bit, here and there, causing it to heat up, or adjusted so that it would probably slip, once it was engaged.

My little Mighty 48 has always re-started very quickly, in traffic.
Actually, I attempt to judge the lights and adjust my speed to get through the traffic without stopping for each light.

I always think it's silly to see people racing from light to light, going fast as they can, only to brake heavily to stop, for every single light in town!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I did a tutorial on this problem a long time ago. I lost all of my photos on an old computer that died but essentially here's what to do.

Drill a 1/16" hole through the button where the original snap ring was and use a 1/16" X 1/2" cotter pin in place of the snap ring. I use a washer and a rubber 'O' ring under the cotter pin. The 'O' ring reduces the shock to the parts when you release the lock and it eliminates that metallic 'click' too.

It can be a challenge to drill a hole in the button because it's only about 3/32" in diameter but it can be done.

Good luck.

Tom

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Basically, all i have right now is just clutch handles without pins because they all were lost on the road. Would your mod work without original pin?
No. You need the button and the spring. If you don't have them youi'll need to replace the clutch lever and do the modification to the new one.

A machinist could make a new button but he'd need an old one for a pattern. Ace hardware would have a spring.

Tom

EDIT: Here's a photo that helps explain the modification. Hope it helps.

Tom

Attachments

Last edited:

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I recommend Pirate cycle. They seem to have pretty good ones for cheap.

I've had the same failure before. It was pretty funny. I pulled the lever, and after the chink sound I saw the pin and spring fly off like a grenade was fixing to go off.

What I do now to make them more dependable it just stretch a small o ring over the washer on the bottom side of the lever. The o ring cushions the pin when it snaps open, and also takes away the metallic snapping sound. I haven't had a failure since I started doing this to all my clutch levers.

racie35

Nov 17, 2012
usa
the clutch joe in tawain is selling for the whizzers has a locking left side handle...maybe he sells em seperate