First Build = Car Accident

GoldenMotor.com

mechaniczman

Sep 22, 2012
bunn
I was riding my brand new motorized bicycle down the street from my house, going about 20-25 mph and a car takes a left turn right in front of me and I slam into the passenger side of the car, fly over the car and land on my knees and elbow on the pavement, I was in the hospital all night. But just road rash, swelling, and bruises.

I got pictures of the bike too, it was pretty bad, the clutch handle is broken, the ignition coil is smashed, spark plugs bent, the front rim is toast, the front forks are bent so bad to were the front tire was touching the frame. I think the whole frame was bent because the back tire wasnt lining up and the chain was loose, luckily the brane new replacement engine bgf just sent me was still fine.

JonnyR

May 13, 2012
ronkonkoma, new york
glad to hear you whernt seriously hurt but the prognossis for your bike looks grim and are you getting a nice chunk of money from the jackas that pulled in front of you so you can build a new one?

lksdG2

Sep 30, 2012
san diego
i hate riding where i live for this exact reason, people drive around with their heads up their asses and dont look where they are going, stopping in the middle of the street, emergency last minute lane changes and left and right turns without even looking, much less signaling, speed ing up to get in front of you only to slam on the brakes so they can get into the driveway they almost missed going around you, i can go all day haha

glad to hear you sustained no major injuries, your bike looked like a beauty before the accident, i hope you got the drivers info and will be aiming for some type of compensation.

mechaniczman

Sep 22, 2012
bunn
Yah im gunna fight it in court, good think i paid an extra 9 bucks at walmart to get a 2 year free replacement on the bike. Then a new coil, spark plug, a clutch handle and im going to get the dual brake lever that controls both brakes at once so I can stop quicker, I might even build a setup to have two brake calipers for each tire! That would be kick ass.

That was probly the 3rd ride on that brand new bike, not even 5 miles on it. It was a beauty, but now its a pile of scrap, untill all this gets settled.

Matricon

Jul 18, 2012
Baltimore
Hope you get better soon! Be careful about the warranty, most business establishments are wary about our craft and they may not honor the warranty if they find out you motorized it.

PAracer

Sep 14, 2012
Steelton, PA
What are the laws on motorized bicycles in your state? The plate on the car in the pic looks like NC. They are lax on mb laws. In PA, I'd probably go to jail if I hit a car. It's a royal pain to get them legalized here.

Glad you made it through without too much injury. 'tis just a flesh wound!

mechaniczman

Sep 22, 2012
bunn
Yah thats my daily driver, with a nc plate. I was not wearing a helmet so they may charge me with that, but it was the other guys fault. And yes I took a good chunk out of the idiots car.

In nc you can ride a "moped" with no licence, no insurance, as long as you are at least 16 years old and wear a helmet.

BUT with a bicycle if you are over 16 you do not have to wear a helmet I think anyways. but its a notorized bicycle so that makes it complicated.

PAracer

Sep 14, 2012
Steelton, PA
Going by NC law, you are a moped. Well, not you, but your bike is.

In fact, if you have an engine bigger than 50cc or your bike can exceed 30mph, you actually have a motorcycle. It would be kinda funny to have a motorcycle and not even know it. :)

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Glad you're alive, my friend.

This is THE most common hazard on a motorcycle and a motorized bicycle ESPECIALLY-

because people often can't tell how fast you are moving, or don't see you, rushing around the way they DO. So ride defensively as if someone will pull out in front of you, when YOU see the potential for it happening.

On a motorized bike especially, they take one quick glance at you and their mind registers "bicycle" and that generally translates to a certain speed in their mind- but you're moving much faster!
then they are looking the other way and automatically starting their movement. Hope you use a dual lever and wear at least a bike helmet- after years of bicycle road racing, I always do.

I ALMOST got hit for the first time on my MB last week- I was coming home, and this PT Cruiser was parallel parked on the right, and tucked in BEHIND another car AND facing in the wrong direction. AND then I just happened to be looking more to the other side, even though I'm usually awfully aware about places where people may be opening their car doors,

all at once this PT cruiser is coming at me from the RIGHT SIDE- where he's pulled out from behind this other car, and then stopped just in time, and I just miss it.

Don't it make you want to get a FULL TIME job?
NO,
not really, but I hear it running, 24/7, Eight days a week........
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ep7W89I_V_g

Last edited:

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
I am sorry to hear that you were involved in an accident, but very glad to hear that you only sustained road rash instead of worse. Your beautiful bike, now scrap, is a tragic loss, but at least you were not lost, which would be incomprehensibly tragic. Machines are replaceable.
NEVER let the folks warranting the bike know that you stuck an engine in the bike. That will void nearly any warranty possible for a bicycle. They only need one reason to not warranty it and save themselves $$$, and don't give them the best reason possible, something of which the bike was never intended to do.

May you heal up quickly and the pain be little.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Cars making a left turn in front of a motorcycle is the number one killer. I bet it won't happen to you again, now that you're so familiar with the situation.

It's best to assume that every car wants to run you over.

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
And car doors as I mentioned- always look for people inside the parked cars, and if the windows are tinted, you CAN'T see them-

I lived in Hollywood back in the '90's, and I was riding the ol Peugeot home on Hollywood boulevard one day coming up on Highland, right where they built the Kodak center. All at once this car door springs open right in front of me, and I was suddenly just sort of winding my body around past it, like doing a highjump with the bar verticle. If I hadn't raced a whole bunch of years, I'd never have gotten around it, and I really felt later that it may have even been intentional, given events since then. I had seen that movie Crossroads with Ralph Machio as a guitarist, and playing the Devil at the Crossroads, and I had already by then been calling that Hollywood and Highland intersection The Crossroads. So it was strange that it happened RIGHT THERE, and the door just really FLEW open!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CMLjS3pU9Q&feature=fvwrel

Another typical hazard is when you get tempted to get past some traffic stopped, and there might be just enough room past some car mirror or there may not- it's better then to not take a chance and just wait untill the traffic clears than to run into the curb or hit the mirror.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=wfH_bikDZS4&feature=endscreen

Last edited:

mechaniczman

Sep 22, 2012
bunn
Walmart will take the bike back because the brakes failed on me the pads rattled loose! So then I will get a new bike, a new clutch lever, a new coil, spark plug, a dual brake lever then design a quadrupal brake caliper setup and get another dual brake lever for double the braking power!!

And thanks everyone, im feeling a lot better now I could go running right now...but im not, im off to go tinker with my car.