Newb from Newport, RI no build yet

GoldenMotor.com

SINOGIN

Aug 1, 2011
Newport, Rhode Island
Hi All,

I'm not mechanically savvy. i've owned a yamaha scooter for a year now. It's time to do something different. I've signed up for the intro to riding class at the community college to get my motorcycle license, but i dont see myself getting a motorcycle any time soon. I'm turned on by the motor assisted bicycle because here in RI you don't need to register it. some of my neighbors have uilt some really sweet bikes over the winter. I'd buy one off them, but they're well built and outside my budget.

I think my goal should be to have my first build be under $300.00. if this isn't feasible, let me know, cuz i don't :).

I plan to find a bike on the cheap i.e. yard sale or craigslist. then to order the proper engine kit.

any simple words of advice is appreciated!

happyvalley

Jul 24, 2008
upper Pioneer Valley
Howdy and welcome, used to live in Npt over by the base.
Hmmm though, how to answer without sounding negative here, 'cause "not mechanically savvy" and lowball price are not the best mix, gonna be hard to put those two together..........or keep them together, lol.

Try it out, what the hey, I had the same frame of mind when I began, didn't want to spend more than 200 or 300. I got probably a grand or a little more in each of my reliable bikes now. A lot will depend on what kind of use and mileage you expect to be doing, the more you use'm, the more they're gonna cost.

Last edited: