Bending and/or cutting exhaust

GoldenMotor.com

meowy84

Jul 18, 2009
Canada
I have some muffler-to-frame interference issues (about 2") and need to bend the exhaust slightly. I can't hammer on the muffler to flatten it a bit because the interference is right at the end where the exhaust cap/tip goes on. I called most of my local muffler and industrial places and no one can bend a pipe that small. The smallest they can do is inch and a half and our pipes are a bit smaller than that no?

So my option is bend it myself somehow (sand and heat method?) without the use of a pipe bender and risk kinking it OR cut the muffler off then get a brass conduit pipe to extend the exhaust all the way to the back past the rear wheel axle like on full size motorcycles. I like the brass pipe idea because I'll have the oily exhaust exiting far behind and I also like the look but am worried about the noise. If the noise is just slightly louder than with the muffler then it won't be so bad.

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
I seem to recall a lot of folks doing something just like that. Don't remember hearing of any of 'em complainin'.

Post some pics when you're done.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
I use 3/4 copper tube and couplings to route the exhaust. If you want it painted use BBQ grill paint. That is the only one I've found that can take the heat.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
3/4" electrical conduit, called EMT, makes a nice extension. You'll need a conduit bender and be able to weld but a custome extended pipe is not that hard to make.
Don't use flexible conduit. It is not gas tight and will leak its entire length.
I've used 3/4 and 1/2" EMT for a poo poo pipe style of pipe using the kit supplied muffler on the end. They're extremely quiet and contrary to popular opinion does not rob power.
Tom

Ruby478

Apr 2, 2011
Dallas,Tx
im thinking about cutting my stock exhaust into a board track style straight pipe .........someone out there has to have done this too.............what are the pros and cons?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
im thinking about cutting my stock exhaust into a board track style straight pipe .........someone out there has to have done this too.............what are the pros and cons?
Your engine and your neighbors will not be happy. 2 stroke engines require a certain amount of back pressure to run properly. Neighbors like their peace and quiet.

Open exhaust will not gain you anything and will hurt the hobby. Don't do it.
Tom

Ruby478

Apr 2, 2011
Dallas,Tx
it couldnt be much louder than just having the baffle off ?........i guess like u said i could cut it and stretch with conduit seal it with high temp rubber tubbing

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
Well, how about this.

Take out the stinger and end cap from the exhaust and have a roommate or friend sit outside your house with you inside and rev it up and drive by your house a few times.

Now put yourself in your neighbors shoes.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Your engine and your neighbors will not be happy. 2 stroke engines require a certain amount of back pressure to run properly. Neighbors like their peace and quiet.

Open exhaust will not gain you anything and will hurt the hobby. Don't do it.
Tom
Hey Tom, you should have also mentioned how uncomfortable Asbestos Pants can be. 'Cause with just a short pipe, they're worth a thought or two. :eek:

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Put one end in a vice & put a bar in the other end & bend it!!!
You can also 'oval' the exaust flange holes to allow the pipe to rotate away from the frame.
There are many simple ways of bending a pipe to fit! ;)

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
Oh - totally forgot to mention, sry.

It's standard vice stuff, but if you don't want mess up the finish on the exhaust, put a block of wood between each side of the vice and where it clamps to the exhaust.