Lots of high (for a bike) hp motors....

GoldenMotor.com

Bluebeard

Feb 4, 2011
Truckee, CA
This is my second post, as this is something I just happened upon tonight. I never knew anything like these bikes existed. I can see lots of possibilities.

It appears that the main push of these bikes are for higher hp motors to go faster. Does anyone make a smaller hp motor that act only as a minor assist for uphill travel? If I went faster than 3 miles an hour on my trails, I'd fly off the side of a canyon and someone would find my bones 1000 feet below in the riverbed. I am looking for a very small motor which (wouldn't add a lot of weight to the bike frame, but) could work on a mountain bike for my uphill travel on small narrow trails (that I have hand built in my 1000 foot deep canyon heading down to my mining claim). I am only looking for some kind of a motor that would vastly lessen the pain of that 1000 foot climb out of the canyon on my 55 year old body. Literally a putt, putt that would go 1-3 mph up the hill- I am not interested in top end, only bottom end.

Do the bikes have to be built around the motors, or are there any "plug and play" type motors where you could quickly install it to any bike? How long does it take to install one of these, and are they fairly straight forward?

Thanks for any help for this old guy.

mbuna420

Oct 9, 2010
Oregon
IF it was me I would buy the around $120-200 48 or 66 cc motor and put the right chain wheel on it or a shift kit(but that is another 200 dollars and I don't know how they would stand up to a lot of uphill work) so that you would only do low speed and lots of pulling power. Someone who knows more about sprocket size should be able to help with how many teeth you want there is even a gear ratio calculator on here somewhere. Really this should be quit easy to do and relatively cheap. I am a almost 300 pound man and these motors move me good even up decent hills with a little help so at a low mph and higher rpm they should be able to go up a pretty steep hill good luck and peace out

professor

Oct 14, 2009
Buffalo ny area
If it was me, look for a Honda CT trail bike, my 1977 has a 2 speed range selector and will climb at low speed like that Rokon. You also get dependability. Bike wt-180#

Otherwise, one of the 2 stroke kits with a really big rear sprocket would appeal to me, mostly because of the light weight it would have- about 60#.
Not as dead reliable though, and you need to mix gas and oil.

Bluebeard

Feb 4, 2011
Truckee, CA
Fulltimer- Funny thing, on one of my claims someone had actually spent 3 months building an illegal trail into the claim. 1000 feet down into the canyon. We found the trail, it was 3 feet wide and it snaked down the hillside- it was quite impressive- as we were going down the canyon we were afraid we were going to happen upon some Mexican Nationals with AK-47's with a big pot plantation. In some sections of the trail, it went literally straight up and down. We got to the bottom, and there was this weird looking motorcycle. A 2 wheel drive motorcycle! Well, it was a Rokon. We ended up talking with the guys who built the illegal trail, I suggested they move on- but the guy with the rokon said he had water in both tires and tire chains on them too. He said it climbed the hill with no problem. That thing was a tank.

As far as the Honda trail- actually, originally that was my intention to get one of those. My friend gave me a **** of a deal on a 1980 - the only year they didn't make a hi/low trans- so that is why I was looking for other options. In a search I came up this website and have since been blown away. I am thinking about putting one of these on my Santa Cruz mountain bike- but my wife would have a cow! She is one of those "earn it to burn it" types, and something like this is "Cheating". But I am getting an idea about all the possibilities.

professor

Oct 14, 2009
Buffalo ny area
I sure would not leave a 2thousand dollar bike that someone could simply carry off.
I guess you could bring concrete and some water to secure a tie down chain into some rocks.
On that Honda90- the later ones without the hi/low have five speeds and changing both sprockets would give you a very low gearset.
I read your other post about your trail and you want something light. maybe something you can dismount real fast too.
24 inch bike with HT, suspension fork and seatpost, big rear sprocket and rear rack for your stuff would work. Maybe even a 20 inch bike with a big enough frame to fit the engine.

kevyleven007

Sep 25, 2008
texas
what you want is a 4 stroke belt drive kit.you can get one at gasbike.net.they have center mount and rear mount kits.these have monster up hill pulling power at very low speeds.

skjjoe

Mar 9, 2009
Boerne Texas
My brother has a couple of Rokons for sale..in Denver. Id have to ask what he wants.The last time I talked to him about them he told me just take it home with you. they have both been rebuilt.There is a Rokon forum http://www.rokonworld.com/

Last edited:

vvomit

Jun 5, 2010
earth
What about a minibike? I have been thinking of putting one of my spare motors on this and gearing it for crawling through the woods.

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Heya Bluebeard, a good 66cc can give you lots of low-end power, its all a matter of gearing. I'm surprised Jim(Creative Engineering) didn't mention his 72tooth stump pulling sprocket, I dunno if he still makes them...
http://motorbicycling.com/f3/72-teeth-beauty-14737.html

edit- Pirates has a 68t: http://www.piratecycles1.com/68-spoke-sprocket-for-micargi-whee68.html (special mount? not sure)

Dax has a 56t, 9bolt (stock)pattern(mounts as normal sprocket):
ENGINE_KIT_PARTS_PAGE_2 (scroll down a little)

and like Jaguar mentioned, a longer intake will give you better low-end power. (see link on his sig)

You guys have a recommendation on exhaust header length before expansion chamber? I think shorter gives more torque, because most ppl say 12" header length is good for top end, so shorter should be better, eh? Like a Grubee pipe?

Also, rear mounted belt/chain drives have juice too, they just wind out higher (10k+rpm). I'd stay away from friction drives if you need to climb anything steep, heh heh.

Last edited:

KiM

May 5, 2010
Australia
Have you considered electric motor? They have bundles of torque
are light weight and modern lithium batteries gets you heap of range, downside they are alot more pricey initially to buy/setup...Check the electric bicycle section of the forum for examples of electric bikes and also endless sphere forum, tiz a wonderful resource for electric bikes...

Welcome aboard anywayz...

KiM

mixxmilkk1

Apr 30, 2010
Mpls Minnesota
Alright Bluebeard!, enough is enough lol. I've read some of the replyes on here about 2 stroke chinese motors, and i just want the record to show that theres nothing wrong with those engines.. As i have two 80/66 cc engines on my bikes. and they have enough power to pull you back up the hill. The key is to get more than 2.75hp out of them. I am running at 3.2hp on both of mine. And thats from horning out the intake,and the exaust. And i balanced the drive shaft for smoother, and higher revs... I also have a sbp shift kit on the mtn bike, with the option of off road, and street shift kit sprockets. (you can buy a off road sprocket at sickbikeparts.com also) I go every where with my bike, and theres no limit. I carry the off road sprocket with me in the bag with all the tools i'll need to fix the bike, plus extra key parts. My bike is very rugged, and i road it all last summer. I also added a boost bottle for quicker revs. I'm kind of scared to add the nos system i baught from kingsmotor.com lol. btu the bike does 55mph on flat roads no problem. Oh! Did i mention that it gets 150mpg on gas? this is the way you want to go, because you can ride it out of the trails, take 4-5 mins. to change the sprockets and ride the rest of the way home. I hope i've been a big help, and heres a couple of pics for you to study. Be safe buddy! (^_^)

Attachments

Last edited: