To Paint or Powdercoat?

GoldenMotor.com

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
will be tough if you prep it right. sand blast it then clean it down with acetone. also i wonder if it softens the chain metal on metal? so its chain on dura coat instead of metal sprocket? gotta try that now myself
Yeah, clean bare metal makes for a good foundation....is there any other way?

Soften the chain metal on metal? Ya lost me here. Reduce the friction of the chain on dura coat coated sprocket?

bobby

Dec 15, 2010
ny
and you can buy some local 4oz for 10$ with hardener. onlt need a spray gun or air brush. get a big nozzle because its thicker that model paint. and you could buy one color and have multiple finishes of black like matte and gloos accent. just add more or less hardener

MarkSumpter

Nov 27, 2010
Ohio
Some great information. Thanks all. Would like to ask what you folks think of this?

10-30 PSI Powder Coating System

Would be for forks, parts and frames.

.flg.
Dan I have a Craftsman rig that almost identical to the HR unit and I use Eastman powders as HF only has like 4 colors and no clear coat and their quality is better. Make sure when setting up your oven to cure the parts in that it is electric and in a well ventilated area (not In the Kitchen) as some of the fumes produced can be ignited in a gas oven and are noxious.

The oven you use has to sustain 400 degrees Fahrenheit for at least 2 hours. A commercial oven is available through HF which is part number 46300-0vga for like $399 but a household oven will also work well and will actually hold more and larger parts.

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Fantastic Mark, thanks!

Powder Coating Powder - Hotcoat Powders From Eastwood

Was bummed at the very few choices at HF.

Also, thanks for the stick with electric heating for the oven. I had not considered that. Be pretty easy to make one large enough for a few bike frames from "found on the side of the road" oven. Only sticking point now is I would like to put in a circulating fan of some sort. Thinking a Stirling engine
LOL, more just 'cause I wanna build one. But would be of some advantage. (I thunk)

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
LOL, got all caught up and did not realize I had posted. Uber cool Mark.

Not to go way, way off topic but man it is great to not only read or look up stuff. But get answers to questions I had not thought of yet. Just sayin' thanks all.

Happy Holidays!

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Fantastic Mark, thanks!

Also, thanks for the stick with electric heating for the oven. I had not considered that. Be pretty easy to make one large enough for a few bike frames from "found on the side of the road" oven. Only sticking point now is I would like to put in a circulating fan of some sort. Thinking a Stirling engine
LOL, more just 'cause I wanna build one. But would be of some advantage. (I thunk)
Hey Dan, Northen Tool Supply sells a little thermo-electric heat powered fan made to sit atop hot wood burning heaters. That should work.

Wayne Z

MarkSumpter

Nov 27, 2010
Ohio
Fantastic Mark, thanks!

Would be way easier and cheaper I'm sure.

This is HFs powder coat oven. It is only 18"x18"x18" internal dimensions. I did some black chrome powder coated rims that wouldn't even fit in it in my oven.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Wayne, how cool is that!? Ecofan Airplus Heat-Powered Fan for Wood Stoves, Model# 802CA-KBX | Blowers + Fans | Northern Tool + Equipment

Just had a thought. (yea, I know, lol) A red-neck radiator pump thing. Touch some fluid filled copper tubbing to a hot part of the heater coil to turn a impeller to drive a fan in a closed but vented loop system with a reservoir? Sort of a steam engine with out steam. Not really all that "Rube Goldberg" as it would be cheap an' easy.

Make the oven out of a gutted refrigerator. hmmmm

I should really start another thread. Sorry about the way OT Smoothe.

Smoothe

Sep 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Hi Dan, no problems with the way OT. This was a very informative thread. Thanks for chiming in everyone.

I went ahead and painted them, they match the bike. It was something fun to do over the Christmas weekend.

I used rattle-can Krylon from Walmart, this is a three-dollar paint job! The forks were only $12. I'm satisfied with the way they came out. Now I have to make evertyhing else that I put on this bike black.

I will be powdercoating the Manic Mechanic sprocket and adapter I'm ordering next week.

Attachments

Smoothe

Sep 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Well thank you Dan.

I just ordered a new set of handlebars (Black), a set of wide cranks (Black) and a Manic Mechanic sprocket and adapter. The sprocket and adapter will be getting a powdercoat, (guess which color).

Now about the engine: Should I tear it down and bring it to the powdercoater, or should I use engine or BBQ paint?

Has anyone ever painted an HS engine, I mean, besides the plastic parts?

Smoothe

Sep 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Thanks for that, Goat. When I get my hands on that engine, (in about five weeks) I will pull off the parts that I want to paint. This should turn out well.

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
I have successfully painted china girls with high heat w/ceramic rattle can, but not a 4cycle

a painted exhaust pipe will burn off approx 4-5 inches from the manifold tho :(
(I covered mine with black heat-wrap ;))