4 wheel surrey

GoldenMotor.com

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
oh and the garden tractor idea is cool... but how would i retain the pedal feature?
Sorry, I misunderstood your goal. Retaining pedals is going to be tricky. If the rear axle is turning both rear wheels at once, going straight would be no problem, but with a freewheel on both rear wheels, turns would would be hard because the inside wheel would be trying to keep up with the outside wheel which would be traveling faster.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
SBP offers ratchetting mecnanisms for pedal cranks. With those installed, all the chains would rotate under engine power, but the pedal cranks would freewheel keeping a place for your feet and allowing peddalling when the motor disengaged. The supporting businesses of this forum have a large array of goodies for just about every situation. This is going to be a fun project.

David D.

Sep 12, 2010
California
seems to me the outside wheel would just be freewheeling and the inside wheel would be driving.... only one end of my jackshaft would be working in a turn.... Right?

David D.

Sep 12, 2010
California
not really a jackshaft i guess, my idea is a full width keyed drive shaft with a sprocket on each end to drive the wheels, and a sprocket to the engine in the center, and a pillow block at each end and one near the center sprocket...

Last edited:

David D.

Sep 12, 2010
California
oh, and finally a freewheel at each crankset to prevent them turning while under engine power...

oops just saw your last post...sbc ...ok will check it out.....

Last edited:

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
seems to me the outside wheel would just be freewheeling and the inside wheel would be driving.... only one end of my jackshaft would be working in a turn.... Right?
The outside wheel may swing around on its own, but it just seems counterproductive or inefficient to drive the inside wheel in a turn. Puts a lot of stress on the power and drive train and may end up with chain skipping and or belt slippage. Driving the outside wheel will make the surrey turn on a dime with little effort.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
not really a jackshaft i guess, my idea is a full width keyed drive shaft with a sprocket on each end to drive the wheels, and a sprocket to the engine in the center, and a pillow block at each end and one near the center sprocket...
The shaft sounds like a good idea, but you can have a shaft just as you describe only with a differential in the center. Also the diffy I'm referring to needs pillow blocks out towards the ends and none in the middle at the sprocket because of the way they're made internally. I've posted a link so you can see what im talking about. I found one on ebay a few years ago for $30. Differential, Peerless 100-008A - Tecumseh 794347 : Farmers Exchange

David D.

Sep 12, 2010
California
yea i see the peerless differental , no specs though, how wide was yours? is it an actual differental with spyder gears and such , or just a friction clutch to allow slippage?

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Hook Up #1 Surrey To #4 Trailer!

If you're building a fleet of motorized surreys, costs of parts, labor and maintenance would be compounded. Each powerplant would be vehicle-specific.

I got me a BRILLIANT plan!!dance1

PUSH TRAILERS!!!

Rig up each surrey to accept the same push trailer.

Build all your push trailers EXACTLY the same. No CVT drive necessary, since parade speed is crawling speed. Concentrate on low-end torque and dependability/reliability.

You could have six surreys and four push trailers. If surrey #1 has a last-minute breakdown 30 minutes before the parade, simply unhitch its push trailer and hook it up to another surrey. If the engine or push trailer develops problems an hour before parade time, simply replace the entire push trailer.

Thoughts?

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
They come in many configurations and can be modified depending on your tools. Need to look through a Techumseh Peerless catalog. Mine has about a 30'' track. Northern Tool offers one also. Just a thought, but you could mount the wheels right onto the ends of the axle along with the pedal drive sprockets and the motor drive sprocket. Add a disc brake kit like on a go-kart and no need for any other brakes. I also like the push trailer idea but pushing around turns may be cumbersome, along with the added overall length.

David D.

Sep 12, 2010
California
sounds like a great idea to me 5-7... will mention that to the owner, have a feeling he wants engines ON his surreys though, might be a hard sell...then again maybe not.... hey... I WANT to put engines on his surreys....weld

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Thanks, David.

Try this display of simplicity:

Line up his fleet, side by side. Have him sit in a surrey. Stand behind that surrey. Explain to him that YOU are the "push trailer". Now push the surrey a few feet ahead.

Now he gets out and sits in the next surrey. Stand behind it, then push him a few feet forward.

He'll get the idea how simple, independent and versatile a push trailer will be.

Work smarter, not harder. :)

LOL, I KNOW you want to modify each surrey, I would, too.

But I wouldn't wanna maintain each vehicle-specific drive system, lol.

"Engine trouble, sir? Okay, let's unhitch it, hook up another trailer and off you go. In the meantime, you can utilize your surrey and I'll work on the ailing push trailer. See you in a few days".

David D.

Sep 12, 2010
California
they wont be bringing me surreys either, if they can just borrow a trailer from my customer.... there could be 20 surreys involved, but only a need for a few of them on any given night.... yea...guess the right thing to do is try and sell him a trailer.... honesty sucks sometimes huh?.....trlrl.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
You never know, David. He might NOT want a push trailer and have engines in each surrey, like you mentioned..trlrl.

Hey, give the customer what he want, if it's one inside each of them!

David D.

Sep 12, 2010
California
well i think i'll tell him about trailers... give him the option... i'll tell him how easy they are to steal... and how if one comes loose it become a runaway killer at full speed and with all those innocent old ladies and children in the crowd...well who knows what might happen.... but hey its your choice.... want to put trailers on here ? no problem .... :) :) :)