My motor is making a clanking sound

GoldenMotor.com

athletichunta

Jul 22, 2010
florida
34 miles in and motor is clanking when i pull the rip cord?.
its a 49cc 4 sroke huaseng motor or w/e the brand is called, i forget.

I was revving it with the tire off the ground around the time it started happening. I was just cleaning it tho, and was trying to dry the tire off a bit.

Does anyone know what is wrong with it?, or if this is normal?. Thanks.

tvance7

Jul 26, 2010
Sacramento, CA 95608
Yes. I know. You have a connecting rod about to throw. The rod bolts have backed out.
You need to take apart the engine and replace the rod. Also any other parts that are shot.

athletichunta

Jul 22, 2010
florida
Alright well i managed to fix the throttling problem, it was just a zip tie i put on before around the throttle cable tubing that was pulling the throttle a little.

Now the clanking sound problem still persist, it rides but it keeps sleeping and can reach a high speed anymore.

Then afterwords its not staying on at all without loosing power and turning off as soon as its started.

Now is there anything I can tighten to fix this problem or is the engine shot?.

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
This is a completely normal condition after putting 2.5 times too much oil in an engine, running it that way until it dies then draining all the oil out and once again running it until it seizes up.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I'm trying very, very hard to hold my tongue here. Another perfectly good engine destroyed in less than 50 miles. Too bad. :(
Do not lift the rear wheel and run the engine at full speed. Do not turn the engine on its side and pour in oil until it runs out. I hate to see a piece of machinery mistreated almost as much as I hate to see a dog mistreated.
Tom

athletichunta

Jul 22, 2010
florida
Sure, but Pics of what?.

Well at first I put 20 oz of oil into the engine and ran it for about 3 minutes, then I later dumped it out when it stopped starting, I ran it less than 25 seconds total without any oil in it just to see if that fixed the none starting problem, it did, but the broken clutch switch vibrated to the right and stopped it from starting again, I didn't realize until the day after. From here I put the recommended 4oz of oil in it and rode it around for 2 days totaling about 50 miles, that's When the motor died. I drained the oil out of it and it was all black and smelt terrible. Also around 42 miles of riding something on the motor started blowing warm air out of the left side onto my leg.

O and its confusing.. I did fix the loss of power thing, it was the kill switches wiring, nothing to do with the motor, Sorry I forgot to mention that.

This is not to mention the slight clanking sound when I pulled the pullstart. I didn't think much of it as it was still running perfectly and it didn't make any sound while It was on.

What I think broke it was the 4oz of oil in it, because the smell of the motor was putrid right after it broke. I know it wasn't the smell of gas, so it must have been the oil.. What els could it have been?.

So just a Heads up to anyone that has this motor, I recommend to put 8.4oz of oil in it, never 4 or els it will be fried within 50 miles. I'm not pointing fingers, im just saying..

Last edited:

mr.WFO

Aug 14, 2010
Texas
go for warranty,

if not, pull it apart. if it's not the clutch or rod you might have gremlins.

i've found an extra bolt inside a honda lawnmower engine...

ocscully

Jan 6, 2008
Orange County, CA
The recommended amount of oil for these motors is 250ml (8 oz.) in the crankcase, not 4oz. Where did you come up with the idea that 4oz. was the proper amount? As for the clanking noise you talk about I think that the members that have said that you probably have a loose connecting rod are pointing you in the right direction. There have been several members recently who have had the oil slinger break off the bottom of the rod cap due to the bolts loosening and the slinger then hits the bottom of the crank case.

ocscully

Last edited:

athletichunta

Jul 22, 2010
florida
I made a double post of this thread on accident, and now the other post got deleted. But here is what happened.

http://motorbicycling.com/f3/i-think-kit-i-bought-came-22099.html

Originally Posted by athletichunta View Post
My motor seized About 5 minutes ago I think. The pull start is completely locked.

The person that is (Physic) Y did you delete your post about the 4 ounces of oil?, did you mean 8?, because I think you might have just cost me a motor.
Ummmm.....read your first post!

4oz. of oil was recommended by more than one person and that IS approx. what the recommended capacity of this motor is! Any more questions???

EDIT: Let me clarify, in your first post (of multiple posts) in this thread you said you put 20ozs. of oil in your engine. For 1; I seriously doubt 20 ozs. would even fit in this engine. 2; you drained it and ran with no oil in it. 3; advice has been givin to you, but you fail to adhear to any of it. 4; It sounds like you bought a bad motor to begin with and you continue too make it worse. 5; no one is responsible for ruining your already broken motor but you.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I once ran an 84 ford tempo without oil for 25 seconds and guess what happened to it? Yep, a clanking sound....and I wasn't even holding the wheel off the ground.

r00t4rd3d

Aug 2, 2010
Internet
I ran a Honda ATV for about 5 miles with zero engine oil and guess what happened ?

nothing.

I ordered a new drain plug , filled it back up and ran it till I sold it.

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Anyone remember the old infomercials for I think Slick 50 where they would drain the oil out of a car and drive it around? I always wondered what kept the lifters from collapsing and rattling like crazy. That and the running engine that didn't have a valve cover or oil pan and they dumped "dirt" into the valve train, only thing is the dirt was vermiculite. lol