Micargi Vs. Huffy

GoldenMotor.com

momentummotorgroup

Apr 10, 2009
grand rapids, michigan
it's 6 of 1, 1/2 a dozen of the other. I would assume since Huffy is an American company that they use American measure nuts and bolts, not metric. I have had no issues with my micargis (outside of drilling a frame. bad idea all around on any frame.) thus far besides going beyond tolerances on the hub (happens when you weight 3 bills and neglect adjusting the cone nut and bits)... I use them simply b/c at that point, the bikes are completely metric so you don't have to bungle with a lot of tools. My micargis all utilize 10,15,and 17mm bolts, and the engine uses 10 and 17 mm.. So carrying an allen wrench set (for seat & handlebars), those aforementioned socket, and a pair of needle nose vice grips is fairly easy (cargo pants/shorts) for on the road fixes..

tommyboy1442

Nov 25, 2009
chicago
whats happenin fellas,i have both a huffy and a migargi, the other day i was sittin in the garage lookin between the both, keep in mind diffent model= differnt quality, in this case the rover gt vs the panama jack.in my opinion migargi uses better fenders with exrta support brackets,and the frame is much kooler on the rover, but they both use decent welds, and both have cheesy dropouts, so for the money, its a decent buy. they are all made in china(most). i think the best route is keep an american made frame in mind and you will love the quality.honestly, i believe kustom frames are the way. not everyone has resourses to build one, but just check out venices latest chopper, one badass frame, that i believe most companies cant match, but that just my preference and style.....but these new walmart bikes are coming with wide rims and 12 guage spokes, and some nice seats,so you can expect to see some kool chinese components.a little modification here and there, and before not long you have kustom bike for cheap.also i have a cranbrooke, its a cheap bike, but pretty kool over all, just switch out necesary parts to kustomize it for you and its not a bad buy.i have a gt kustom kruiser duece, a very nice frame and built well, but then you see that sticker at the bottom of nthe seat pole tube that says"made in china".they are what they are, if its china, its junk, but doable :). support the american made bike companies,the few there are....

Last edited:

Beej

Jun 7, 2010
San Diego, CA
I would love a custom made frame but I am trying to do this on somewhat of a budget. I would like to keep the bike to $150 or lower. I can get a PHAT cycles sea crest bike for $160. The quality seems to be much higher.

asianflava

May 13, 2010
Colorado
American company doesn't mean made in America. When I was shopping for a tablesaw, the only ones I could find in my price range ($700) were made in China. Sure there were some made in the US, but you'd have to double my budget. My made in China Sears Craftsman is just fine for me. Just about all these bicycles are made in China, if there was one made in the US, you'd know it just from the price. The bikes made in the US are generally made from exotic materials and cost an arm and a leg no matter where they are made. Check out this website: and scroll down to cycling Still Made in USA.com - American-Made Sporting Goods, Backpacks, and Camping Gear

Probably the thing I own that is the most "Made in the US" is my Toyota Truck. That's because my Honda Civic is made in Canada.

momentummotorgroup

Apr 10, 2009
grand rapids, michigan
invariably, these were not supposed to be subjected to the wear and tear of mechanical automation. First thing I do on my builds since the last hub blow out is give the inside of the hub a couple wraps with the aluminum duct tape to stop the spokes from poking through the tires, then I dismantle the hub and pack the bearings with grease that can stand the heat of the high RPMs, as after 15 minutes on the 66cc motor the rear hub always seemed to have a meltdown of the grease followed by a spewing of the grease. Not a good time. Also switching out my tubes with the slime tubes to take care of the punctures.

CoastalCruiser

Apr 28, 2010
Spaced Coast
Heh, Heh....He said spew. I jumped on the Micargi basically cuz it looked cool and was a great price. Only later did i find out from people on here that they'd had problems with the hubs and bearings and such. Mind you, i've yet to get my motor install done and my poor bike just sits there, but I've had no problems at all mechanically. I've put over 50 miles on it just pedalling around and it's still a fine bike. Having said that and looked all over, If you want a great bike, then buy a cool antique frame off ebay and buy some worksman wheels. all the rest of the parts can come off your Chinese Walmart special and you can trash the rest or pawn it off on Craigs List.

Last edited:

Fred

Sep 25, 2008
Man I wouldn't trust a low end bike wheels at 35 mph. You can buy some better quality bike wheels form you LBS and not spend too much. I bought some 26" MTB rims for a little over $100. They are disc break or cantilever break compatible. I put them on a Trek cruiser classic ($250). rode the bike around with the original rims before I motored her up. the thing just sucked. put the MTB wheels on and wow it was great. After new triple clamp fork I almost didn't motorize cause it was too fun to ride peddling the thing. thing rides solid and sweet with the upgrades. BTW spent almost a grand on the parts. So if your wanting to go cheap you'll have to stick with Micargi or huffy or schwinn. But I would recomend spending a few extra dollars and getting better quality.

I'm interested in doing an Electra bike. they have one called the striaght 8. Real cool, run you $600 or so for it though.

Scrooge1

Jul 8, 2010
Machesney Park, IL
Fred, I'm new here and trying to learn as much as I can before I order an engine or buy a bike. When you say buy better quality than Huffy, Micargi, or Schwinn, what are you talking about. I don't even know which bikes to look to for quality. How much do you think you need to spend to get a bike that will up when motorized?

momentummotorgroup

Apr 10, 2009
grand rapids, michigan
When it comes down to it, most if not all of these bikes utilize the same components and are generally built out of the same materials. If you're only spending a hundred or so on the bike, expect to get what you pay for. I have been using Micargi's simply due to the fact that they are all metric, and with a metric motor it makes for an easy tool kit. My carry-kit has a flathead and phillips head screwdriver, a pair of pliers, a socket wrench and about 4 different sockets that work on the entire bike. Always go for an upgraded hub, or be prepared to spend money every few months getting the stock one fixed or replaced. I personally take my 68 spoke rims and triple line them with aluminum duct tape and that has worked like a charm for not getting spokes puncturing the tires, and I always use a secondary set of V or Caliper brakes and try to avoid using the coaster brake unless absolutely necessary, as that's the component most likely to seize up and crap out on you.

Don't drill into the frames. they weren't meant to be mounted with the motors, and I've cracked a few frames completely within hours of start up on my original builds due to the vibration of the 66cc engine on it..

Fred

Sep 25, 2008
As Momentum just mentioned you do get what you pay for. Schwinn unfortunately is no longer the quality bikes they used to be. they went out of business a few years ago and someone bought them and the bikes the produce are "walmart quality." A "walmart" bike isn't neccessarily bad, but the components are meant to be going 10-15 mph. Which means they will get hot and do things that can cause you to crash. As far as the frame goes, they are good if they have been properly welded together. There is a schwinn cruiser i've seen a lot of people on here use and really enjoy it. I know from my own experience that paying a little more made a huge difference in the ride of the bike.

My advice is, if you do choose to go with a walmart bike, make sure you upgrade the hubs and breaks on it. You can by after market wheels from your LBS. or get them off of an old Trek MTB (or something like it) at a yardsale. Or buy hubs from any of the parts dealers on this site. Also plan what the build is going to be.

I used a Trek Cruiser Classic for my build because I wanted a certain look. The bike cost $250. It was a hard build because I had to do a lot of mods to almost everything on it. But in the end it was worth every penny and mod i did. I don't recomend the bike for a first time builder though, unless your great at problem solving and very machanically inclined.

Quality bikes are almost anything you'll find at your Local bike shop instead of walmart. But a lot of people on here a very happy with walmart bikes. So in the end it come down to planning your build and how much you want to budget to that build. And as momentum said, "you get what you pay for."

hope this helps
Fred

Scrooge1

Jul 8, 2010
Machesney Park, IL
As Momentum just mentioned you do get what you pay for. Schwinn unfortunately is no longer the quality bikes they used to be. they went out of business a few years ago and someone bought them and the bikes the produce are "walmart quality." A "walmart" bike isn't neccessarily bad, but the components are meant to be going 10-15 mph. Which means they will get hot and do things that can cause you to crash. As far as the frame goes, they are good if they have been properly welded together. There is a schwinn cruiser i've seen a lot of people on here use and really enjoy it. I know from my own experience that paying a little more made a huge difference in the ride of the bike.

My advice is, if you do choose to go with a walmart bike, make sure you upgrade the hubs and breaks on it. You can by after market wheels from your LBS. or get them off of an old Trek MTB (or something like it) at a yardsale. Or buy hubs from any of the parts dealers on this site. Also plan what the build is going to be.

I used a Trek Cruiser Classic for my build because I wanted a certain look. The bike cost $250. It was a hard build because I had to do a lot of mods to almost everything on it. But in the end it was worth every penny and mod i did. I don't recomend the bike for a first time builder though, unless your great at problem solving and very machanically inclined.

Quality bikes are almost anything you'll find at your Local bike shop instead of walmart. But a lot of people on here a very happy with walmart bikes. So in the end it come down to planning your build and how much you want to budget to that build. And as momentum said, "you get what you pay for."

hope this helps
Fred
Thanks. This does help a lot. Some good info here.

halfevil333

May 18, 2010
florida, USA
There is an bicycle company in town here, Jax fl. Use to be Emory bikes called Aerofast now. Super nice bikes well made.. Prices range from 500-1500. All American. Just alittle steep for my budget. Heres the link
Aerofast Industries
...yes, nice bikes, however- Worksman cycles have been around much longer, ARE AMERICAN MADE, and are (as far as I can tell) exactly where this company "borrowed" its frame style from! just like the ENDLESS amount of Schwinn knock-off frames which flood the market today!!!!
...oh, &my point was; they are industrial strength- TRIED &TRUE!- COME W/KEVLAR BELTED TIRES ($25 UPGRADE-BUT WHAT AN UPGRADE!!!! WISH I HAD 'EM WHEN I WENT HEAD ON W/A 2010 CHARGER COUPLE WEEKS BACK!) and are ABOUT HALF THE COST OF AN ASTRONUT, AEROFIST, ANALFRIDGE? CYCLE!!!

...dont actually know myself, but, I've been told the Worksmans were what Triumph, Indian, and H.D. all used to strap their motors to----back in the waaaay back!?!

halfevil333

May 18, 2010
florida, USA
Thanks. This does help a lot. Some good info here.
WELL SAID!
This bike started as a newer "Schwinn approved" -not "Schwinn made" bike, and for the most part,I have no complaints, but keep in mind I'm speaking primarily about the frame, as I've upgrizzled just about everything else myself!
stock spokes WILL BREAK!
know, or learn to do hub/crank re-greasing/repair &get the spokes upgraded to 12g. ss! then have fun!
go ahead and ruin 2good pairs of chucks before you worry bout the brakes!!!! HHHHAHA!

...oh, and bring a tape measure!!!! one store will carry bikes from several sources as long as they ship from the same warehouse,central location! I.E:CHECK THE CLEARANCE BETWEEN THE SEAT TUBE & HEAD TUBE!, THE SEAT TUBE & INNERMOST POINT OF REAR FRAME BRACKET (OR SEAT TUBE & TIRE IF PRE-INSTALLED) THE MORE ROOM EITHER DIRECTION, YOU'RE HAVIN A GOOD DAY!

hope this helps...
Rev. BECK

Attachments

Last edited: