Installing a new Magnet.

GoldenMotor.com

Mopedamauter79

Mar 31, 2008
Ottawa
I finally got around to getting the parts needed for my other engine and I crazy glued the key for it in place. However I can't figure out how to get the magnet screwed on properly..I got it partly on and I can't seem to screw it on anymore then it is. Suggestions ?

misteright1_99

Mar 21, 2008
Treasure Coast, Florida
I have heard the best way is to out paper between the magneto and armature to keep it aligned. Is this the problem your having? Take a look at this Thread, maybe last few posts will help... I have never had to mess with magneto, so I don't know, just what I read...

Last edited:

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Are you sure it's not going in all they way? When I first did mine I thought the same thing then realized it was in all the way. There should only be a few thread's left from the nut.

Mopedamauter79

Mar 31, 2008
Ottawa
I can't get it in that far at all.There is no thread at all for the nut to go on as the magnet isn't all the way in. I've pretty much given up on this by this point. To much hassle and frustration with it.

I emailed a seller of these engines about how to install that magnet and It sounded complicated for a simple thing.

"You will likely need to either use a press or to use a socket that has thick walls on it and is the same diameter as the inner area of your magnet. Use a hammer to tap it into place with having the socket between the magnet and the hammer…try not to bang on it too much or you could knock the magnetism out of the magnet.

A press would do you best though…just make sure that you have the keyway lined up properly."

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Yes, that's how I got mine on. I use a press but I don't need that much force to get it on. Having the keyway lined up is very important! Are you sure your keyway did not move? It might have moved and is keeping it from going on all the way.

Mopedamauter79

Mar 31, 2008
Ottawa
Yes, that's how I got mine on. I use a press but I don't need that much force to get it on. Having the keyway lined up is very important! Are you sure your keyway did not move? It might have moved and is keeping it from going on all the way.
It's crazy glueded on. I don't think it moved.

Mopedamauter79

Mar 31, 2008
Ottawa
I checked it and the key sticks out. If the magnet is supposed to go over this key then that's not going to happen. The key simply wont sit in flush with the shaft and it stick out

Mopedamauter79

Mar 31, 2008
Ottawa
So It is now on and I put the nut on to secure the magnet. I showed my girlfriend the email I got and what you mentioned. She looked at it for a little bit and then managed to get the bugger on. I myself couldn't figure it out for the life of me. Thank god for cool girlfriends eh ?

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
you better be good to your girl or we all will punish you by giving you bad karma or what ever its called rotfl
You need to get her enrolled in a mechanics class sounds like she has what it takes.(^)
Norman