Getting rid of "Big Red"

GoldenMotor.com

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
Due to medical problems with my back I can't ride my bike any longer. I'm going to give it to my soon to be 13yo grandson. With his mothers permission!

But, I want to slow it down. Its top speed about 40mph as it sets right now. I want to make the top speed to be around 25mph. Other than changing the sprocket, how can I cut the top end? Something he, or his friends, won't change.

Terry
http://www.flickr.com/photos/terryandkay/8474452190

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Oh man Terry, that ain't good. Back problems hurt an' hurt bad. I truly hope it gets better.

Just wondering, would another style of bike allow you to ride?

Dunno of any other easy way to slow a motorized bicycle down given you'r set up, other then the sprocket.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Sorry to hear that, my brother has had back problems for the last few years. Just because you cant ride anymore don't quit the forum, looking at your bike you have a lot of knowledge that could be shared.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Why do you not want to change the rear sprocket?
That would be the best way to keep the kids from putzing with it. Throw on a 48 or larger, even a 56T sprocket and that will cut their speed way down. They might start climbing trees with it but it will keep the top end down to something safer until they get a little older and more experienced.

I had an experience with a 13 year old too. Make sure he takes care of the bike. I found the one I built for my nephew laying on its side in his back yard after he'd had it about three months. He ran it with no oil in the gas and rode it with a flat tire damaging the rim. I had to rebuild the engine after I took it back from him. Don't let that happen to that pretty bike, Fulltimer.

Tom

Last edited:

racie35

Nov 17, 2012
usa
nothing is worse than backpain and the immobility it causes......I feel for you.
I'd restrict the carb intake, leaving the throttle with its full linear throw for normal feel at the grip.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
I am sorry to hear of your back pain. I fight that too, but take it one day at a time.
Have you though of building a trike? Big cushy seat, no body language to balance it.
Shoot, you could even bolt a La-Z-boy recliner onto it as a seat if you work out the bracketry.
Still in the wind, putting along the road, enjoying life 20 MPH at a time.

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
I'm starting to have second thoughts about giving him the bike. He wouldn't be able to ride it on sidewalks, just the streets. I'm not sure he is mature enough yet. I'll talk to his mom again about that.
As for not wanting to change the sprocket...I'm being cheap! I thought about changing the pull on the throttle cable. That would be the cheapest way to go.

His mom wants me to give him a "class" on using it. The first sign of abuse and it would come back to me. I'm always on him about his bike laying on its side in the yard. The chain is rusty and dirty. Kids!

My back problem is degenerative disc disease and bulging disks. I also have osteoporosis....the old lady disease! Getting old is ****! The "Golden Years" are getting tarnished! :)

Terry

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
That idea of building a trike is real interesting. I'll have to do some thinking on that.

Big Red is built pretty well. Everything that is not painted has a coat of clear powder coat on it to prevent rust. Even the heavy duty steel rims were coated.

Terry

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
hmmm, bonding, schooling event? Have him help you build a trike and "buy" Big Red.

Really, to cheap to buy a sprocket? LOL

Last edited:

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
Oh man, lots of MBers near you. See if any one would like to trade one in the swap shop section?
Good idea also. I had planned on changing to a 4 stroke on her but that idea is gone. Lots of ideas from the people on here, and I really appreciate them. I guess I'll have to set down and mull things over.

Terry

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I looked around the garage for a large one for you but none that are on the large size. Have a few more places to look but need a dog sled team to get out to my back yard. (might be spring b4 I get out there, lol)

But if I do, will let ya know. I don't want any thing if I do have one for you guys. Safety thing for a kid and all that.

I know I have a 60T from BGF some where. Was really cheap if I remember right.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Fulltimer,
Could I suggest a trike conversion kit for Big Red and a really comfortable seat with a back on it? Everything I have has three wheels for balance and back pain so I understand how you feel.

Most boys at 12 or 13 don't take care of their bikes. I was no different.

Steve.

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
oh how i feel for you brother. most any young person wont take care of anything if they get it for free. [dont ask me how i know] your bike is the bomb. stretching the spinal cord has helped me alot and the med's do their part, they have come along way from 1998 when i was cut open. and my life was saved because i was going end it... glad i didn't, would have missed the grandkid's and mine too! pm me if you need to talk. dennis

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
Fulltimer,
Could I suggest a trike conversion kit for Big Red and a really comfortable seat with a back on it? Everything I have has three wheels for balance and back pain so I understand how you feel.

Most boys at 12 or 13 don't take care of their bikes. I was no different.

Steve.
The seat I have is pretty good. I "think" even a recumbent would cause problems. If I could come up with an air suspension....Ummm...naw, mega bucks!

Terry