thinking about building a trike

GoldenMotor.com

steveinil

Feb 7, 2014
columbia IL
ok so i bought a cheap bike with a pretty new looking good running engine on it bike runs great rides ok at best half the gears dont work it actually has two sets of cables because the po melted two of them lol. anyway i was just kinkda looking around for a better frame/bike to put the engine on when i got to thinking about a recumbent trike... i have a few old 20inch bikes and half of another 26inch so was thinking aobut using two fronts 20inch for the front tires and one 26 for the rear i can weld and have access to a complete welding shop. so i plan on building the main frame my one question is how the heck do you steer the things lol. i have seen two handles coming from the spindels (not a fan of that look) and something that goes under the bike then looks like it has two adjustable rods with hiem joints on them going to oposite spindals also seen a chain going to spendels lol any help would be helpfully or sugestions i have looked just cant seem to fine a good diagram of how to set it up

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Here is what I used for Silverbears and my tri cars. You can use go kart steering parts where I was trying to get as close to the original look as possible. I used 7/16 rod for the steering linkage due to the strength.

Bike handlebars and goose neck were used for the steering and were welded to 1" heavy wall tubing with 3/4" round bar welded to that at the bottom so the steering - Pittman arm could be attached.

Hope this helps some what. Feel free to look around at the other photos but be warned there are 612 of them.

Steve.

http://s866.photobucket.com/user/sp...Pictures010_zps03f73bec.jpg.html?sort=3&o=122

Steve.

steveinil

Feb 7, 2014
columbia IL
ok cool thanks guys yeah i have looked at the atomic zombie site some the go kart parts is a good idea.. thanks for the replies and help