need help with idle

GoldenMotor.com

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
i have a 48cc dual start grubee starfire II
i tried to adjust the idle screw but it doesnt seem to do much.
it runs with choke mostly closed,if i open it it idles real high.
i took it to the store today and it took off without giving it throttle.
the centrifugal clutch is working,but idle is to high.
when i started it,the back wheel started spinning,but its not suposed to unless i give it throttle.
and oh yes it did drip a few drops of oil from muffler after i turned it off,i had to put bag under it so it wouldnt get on my carpet in my livingroom.

freewheeling frank

Mar 10, 2009
ridgway colorado
where the cable goes into the carb there is a screw adjustment with a locknut on it that goes against the carb cap loosen the set screw then turn the other one down this will adjust the idle. hope that makes sense as i dont have pics. maybe someone else does.
i thought i was the only one who got oil on the carpet, that so funny,see ya frank

seca40

Nov 15, 2008
Albuquerque
It sounds like you might have too much tension on your throttle cable. Take of your air cleaner and look into the carb. Is the slide nearly all the way down/closed when the bike is idling? If the idle screw wont let the slide down something else must be holding it up. FYI tighten the idle screw to increase idle speed losen to decrease.
Running with the choke closed would indicate a possible air leak. This can lead to serious engine damage. I would only run it long enough to diagnose the possibility of a leak. With the engine running spray carb cleaner all around the gasket areas of your engine. Intake to cylinder. Carb to intake. Cylinder to engine case etc.. if the idle speed changes when you hit a certain spot with the cleaner you've found your leak.
Check the throttle and carb slide first though.

drhofferber

Jun 22, 2008
i have a 48cc dual start grubee starfire II
i tried to adjust the idle screw but it doesnt seem to do much.
it runs with choke mostly closed,if i open it it idles real high.
i took it to the store today and it took off without giving it throttle.
the centrifugal clutch is working,but idle is to high.
when i started it,the back wheel started spinning,but its not suposed to unless i give it throttle.
and oh yes it did drip a few drops of oil from muffler after i turned it off,i had to put bag under it so it wouldnt get on my carpet in my livingroom.
You have AIR LEAKS...first did yo put permitex on your gaskets...exhaust and intake...gray on exhaust and black on intake...both sides...tighten firm...now carb...did you place a small intake gasket in your carb...and tighten the clamp firm...check your throttle cap ...is it threaded on properly...i prefer to put a little black permitex on the threads and screw the cap back on...that seals it good...make sure your bottom cap on your muffler is tight and the screw that holds it is firm...for good measure I put cold wield on the screw so it stays firm....now start it....if you havnt painted your engine...when it is running spray water, wd40 or starting fluid aroun the intake, exhaust and carb....if it idles without stalling or loeing your rpms...you are set...get it warmed up and then set you idle...hope this helps...take off and have fun...remember to spike your engine while breaking in the engine...for the first 50 to 100 miles...Dennisdance1

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
I lowered and adjusted where the throttle cable on top goes in carb.
I took off air cleaner,so i could see that the slide was down almost all the way down and adjusted the set screw.I put air cleaner on tighter.i sealed where the carb goes on with teflon tape 'the only stuff i have right now'
the bike idles better and now i can open choke fully.thanks everyone for your help.