New Motor Siezed??? Plz Help

GoldenMotor.com

Willyam911

Mar 8, 2009
Houston, Tx
Pull those four brass screws out? I thought about that but i didnt want to pull something off and have springs or something explode all over the place lol. Going to go do that now. Ill come back with some more infor in a few min =)

Willyam911

Mar 8, 2009
Houston, Tx
Ok I took the outside part of the magneto off and now theres just the round piece on but I dont know how to take that off. I still cant turn the motor over. I took a picture so u guys can see. What do I do now? =)

-Will

Attachments

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
Will,

From looking at the first pics, it really looked like the mag coil had been installed wrong as Toytime diagnosed.

Put the nut back on the magnet...and gently try to turn the engine...DO NOT put a lot of force on the nut. The crank diameter is small at this end, and is easily damaged. Be sure to remove the spark plug before doing this.

I'll be here: report back!

Jim

Willyam911

Mar 8, 2009
Houston, Tx
I put the bolt back on and I tried to use it to turn the motor but no go. It still wont turn the magneto. I wish I would have found this site before I ordered my motor lol. Now I will know better when I buy my next. Any ideas on what to do now?

-Will

Jun 25, 2008
Willyam911 forgive me if i have missed something, but can you here the piston pumping? You mention seeing the disc spinning inside the gear. I am wondering is the clutch slipping? This would account for the rest of your issues...piston wouldn't pump, magneto wouldn't turn. it would be un believeably simple to remedy if that were the problem.

HoughMade

Apr 15, 2008
Valparaiso, IN
Over here it costs £50 to file which is tagged onto your total claim, no solicitors/lawyers are required or allowed, you can use an expert to help your case who's time and expense are sometimes taken into account and tagged on but this is rare.

The process is kept simple and informal to deter rogue traders. Have threatened some of our UK suppliers with this when they have supplied products "unfit for purpose" and refused to refund, but thankfully not had my bluff called.

I find your reply most perplexing...and sad.

Good luck Willyam911, you can certainly really on these fine fellows to help you out!

Claims can be brought in small claims court, but usually where the defendant is at (could be across the country)- and then if you win, you have to collect. It's not automatic.

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
Very impressive website there Creative and you are quite the guy for offering him your help. You deserve credit and thanks.

Attachments

Willyam911

Mar 8, 2009
Houston, Tx
Ok I took the head off and took a couple pictures of what I saw. Not sure what is going on here but there is a good layer of black paint in the inside of the cylinder. You can see that the piston has maybe moved 1mm since I have had it and chipped a bit of the paint off the bottom edge against the piston. That seems like a bad thing to me but im not really a mechanic so let me know what you guys think. I talked to the seller and hes going to work with me to get this fixed or replaced so im feeling a little bit better.

- Will

Attachments

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
That is too funny Will...Actually I know it's not!

They painted the inside of the head and the cylinder wall!

Pull the jug and clean everything up real good...It may spin over and run properly after you're done.

I really wanted this one for my wall of shame photo shoot...It looks like it's even better than I had figured...laff I just wonder what else is way off...and how many of these awesome engines are being shipped?

I'm glad the seller is going to make good on this...I think the power of the forum may be greater than most would expect.

Jim

Last edited:

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
Looks like the person preparing the motor for paint forgot to put a rubber plug into the spark plug hole and the painter put a shot of paint inside the engine with each stroke as he tried to get the fins on the head. I guess it may be powder coating, I wouldn't think paint would stay as new like that.
Glad to hear they will help you. I won't think of BGF as I did in the past and hope to hear more of these happy endings.

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
Very impressive website there Creative and you are quite the guy for offering him your help. You deserve credit and thanks.
Thanks toytime...I like to see manufacturing errors first hand. My motives were not altogether alltruistic. I really wanted to see this engine untouched, for the benefit of compiling a knowledge base regarding these engines.

The benefit to Will would have been that he would have had his engine fixed...But it's far better that the seller take care of this. It's the best outcome!

The wall of shame will not name resellers; as any reseller could, potentially, get a bad batch of engines. It will simply be for the benefit of giving people something to look for when trying to diagnose a problem.

Jim

Last edited:

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
All kidding aside.. That is a pretty serious problem actually. But it is fixable. Use carb cleaner and then apply a thin film of 2 stroke or motor oil on all the parts and reassemble. And then.. Enjoy the ride !!! Pay attention to the small roll pin in the ring grooves where the rings meet in order to prevent breaking them during reassembly. Use a new gasket or gaskets for the base. The head gaskets you can reuse typically. Also check your ports just in case the piston was down when the paint entered the cylinder area. You may have paint inside your intake, exhaust, and transfer ports. If you have paint in the transfer port, then it may have gone all the way down and under and into the main crank area as well. In that case, flush the lower part of the motor with premix and hopefully it will flush out the paint since the motors are typically coated with assembly lube and hopefully the paint did not stick to any engine parts down there and they can just be flushed out with premix. If not.. Then.. Splitting the cases.. Well.. That is just not worth fixing if you have to split the cases. Hopefully, you can flush things out and go. If the flushing does not work.. Well. You will know once the engine gets started and you get to run it down the street under load if there is any paint in the lower part of the motor.. It may take a min or 2 for it to migrate up and into the cylinder and then become ingested. Hopefully it will just burn and not melt and glue itself to the piston and cylinder. Make sure to get a light and check for paint in the transfer ports since you have it apart..

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
lol .. Look.. He did buy a black painted engine.. ok? so that is what he got !! Now quit complaining !!! Bunch of babies................ Gee wiz...
True Dax...But a lot of guys, like Will, are just getting started...He was very concise about what was happening, and it did lead to a problem in the engine, proper.

I would have honestly figured, as per typical, that something had been cobbled by the owner.

He got a junk engine!

These guys don't have the years of experience that we do with engines in general and motorcycles.

Engine powered bikes are fun, and I want even the most mechanically challenged biker to be able to continue and learn. he he he...I just made a "stupid" politally correct statement.

EDIT: Really you have to appreciate Will...without a lot of experience he did have enough insight to eliminate many of the reasons why the engine didn't turn over.

I think Will is going to be a dedicated MB'er and ultimately provide his own help to others that are just getting started.

Jim

Last edited:

Willyam911

Mar 8, 2009
Houston, Tx
Ok just an update for everyone. I got a new BLACK motor sent to me from boygofast and it turns out that this motor is painted on the inside of the cylinder as well. I am positive its a new motor and not the same one I sent back because it has considerably less paint on the inside and wasnt all scratched up like the one i sent back. I recomend that no one buys a BLACK painted motor. I got the piston to move down to bottom dead center. If you keep the piston below the paint line it moves fine. I am going to go get something to remove the paint tomorrow. I am thinking probably a soft wire wheel. I dont want to use anything too hard that would mess the cylinder up. Anyone have any ideas better than a wire wheel? Here are some pictures of the mess.

-Will

P.S.: Dont buy a black motor...

Attachments

Jun 25, 2008
Ok just an update for everyone. I got a new BLACK motor sent to me from boygofast and it turns out that this motor is painted on the inside of the cylinder as well. I am positive its a new motor and not the same one I sent back because it has considerably less paint on the inside and wasnt all scratched up like the one i sent back. I recomend that no one buys a BLACK painted motor. I got the piston to move down to bottom dead center. If you keep the piston below the paint line it moves fine. I am going to go get something to remove the paint tomorrow. I am thinking probably a soft wire wheel. I dont want to use anything too hard that would mess the cylinder up. Anyone have any ideas better than a wire wheel? Here are some pictures of the mess.

-Will

P.S.: Dont buy a black motor...
Try and use a heat gun or paint stripper!