No power

GoldenMotor.com

sboricic123

Apr 15, 2013
Bailieboro, Ontario
66cc Skyhawk: I'm lost for ideas. My bike was running fine during break in. Now it will idle okay but when I apply the throttle, it bogs and the rpms don't increase much. I'm running it at 40:1 now. I noticed that there wasn't much air oe exhaust fumes coming out the exhaust. I have cleaned it with brake cleaner plus tried my old exhaust and still nothing. I've changed carbs, cleaned carb, adjusted e-clip, checked fuel flow, cylinder head bolts and new spark plug. This has me stumped of what else it could be. The magneto was still dry but I didn't check the seal. Could it be the cdi? I'm still using my old 1 from a 66cc flying dutchman.
Any ideas would be helpful. Thanks.
Stephen

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
clean the motor well, then run it for a while & see if oil residue shows up anywhere

if so, theres a leak there

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
How's the compression? You could remove the spark plug and have a peek at the cylinder walls. Look for any scratches or gouges that might indicate a broken piston ring.
If you can't see anything through the plug hole remove the cylinder head and take a look.

Tom

sboricic123

Apr 15, 2013
Bailieboro, Ontario
How's the compression? You could remove the spark plug and have a peek at the cylinder walls. Look for any scratches or gouges that might indicate a broken piston ring.
If you can't see anything through the plug hole remove the cylinder head and take a look.

Tom
If a piston ring is broke, will it still have the proper rpms when applying the throttle if the exhaust is off? I fired it up with the exhaust off for a short period and it seemed to work properly.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
you have something stuck in your muffler - I once found a piece of the bubble-wrap had gotten into one and baked itself over the top of the catalytic converter webbing - was fortunate in that pouring some gas in the bottom while holding it upside down flushed it out the top

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
If a piston ring is broke, will it still have the proper rpms when applying the throttle if the exhaust is off? I fired it up with the exhaust off for a short period and it seemed to work properly.
But how does it pull the bike and you? Just revving the engine, even with the muffler on or off is not a good indication of power. The increased noise alone might lead you to think the engine is running good. How does it ride with exhaust system removed??

Tom

sboricic123

Apr 15, 2013
Bailieboro, Ontario
But how does it pull the bike and you? Just revving the engine, even with the muffler on or off is not a good indication of power. The increased noise alone might lead you to think the engine is running good. How does it ride with exhaust system removed??

Tom
Without the muffler it pulled fine and had the rpms. I'll do another run tonight just to double check. I didn't go WOT when trying it out, just in the backyard.

I put the newer muffler in a fire for about 10 minutes last night, hoping it might clean anything else out that the brake cleaner didn't get. I haven't put it back on yet to try and see if it was the problem. I could feel air coming out of it when using the air compressor.