Drilling Freewheel Hub For Larger Bolts

GoldenMotor.com

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
I have SBP's HD White Industries freewheel one on my 72t engine sprocket/shift kit. I removed the crank arm with attached freewheel for SBP's suggested maintenance. It's been a few hundred miles on the road. The wheel's five holes are small, so accept small bolts. My bolts are bending slightly. I want to drill these to accept Grade 8 1/4 x 28 bolts. I tried a reamer, files, even cobalt drill bits, but they don't even scratch let alone cut thru the tough steel. The machine shop will drill the holes oversize for $80.....or more.

I'd rather DIY.

I have a HD Milwaukee 1/2" drill (not cordless), but it's not doing the job.

What do I need? :-||

bandito

May 22, 2009
colorado
Get a HF drill bit sharpener and have patience. Oil and slight pressure is all thats needed as long as the bit is cutting material. Fast isn't the best either if you can regulate the drill speed.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
It can be done........and as others have suggested. The main thing is low speed. May take a handfull of drill bits or sharpening bits several times and a good cutting oil. Go slow and be patient.......or pay $80.

dnut

dtj6ppc

Feb 23, 2011
redondo
So what would you suggest?
Anneal soften the holes by heating, the hole areas only, to a cherry red and let air cool to room temp., drill using slow rpms and fast feed rate to create long cutting metal slivers that will prevent work hardening.

Not sure about this, but your problem maybe that you are trying to drill thru quality chromed surface which can be difficult until the chrome layer is penetrated and you get to the softer underlying steel base material.........Don