what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

GoldenMotor.com

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska
Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

oh oh oh brainstorm dan if you could put another muffler maybe the same type or a different one on the y split and try running it with both on it makes sense that with two mufflers it should be just as quiet if not more and still less restrictive of airflow just a idea try it out please im curious

Skarrd

Oct 13, 2010
Chandler, AZ

oh oh oh brainstorm dan if you could put another muffler maybe the same type or a different one on the y split and try running it with both on it makes sense that with two mufflers it should be just as quiet if not more and still less restrictive of airflow just a idea try it out please im curious
not to mention badass looking!

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

Big time! thanks WA. That is a great thunk. The blow bags come in 2 sizes and also in canvas. (is cool enough by the time exhaust gets to end. lol right up there with "hey y'all, watch this" which often ends with answering the question "what brings you to the ER today?") Can't wait to try that. Not the ER part, lol

Not to go all the way OT, but does any one have a thought on how to make or buy a sound measuring tool? The real muffler is 2ce as loud in person but the same on vids. Any thought would be welcomed big time.

Wanted to say again Skarrd, thanks for posting this thread. Great idea and look forward to seeing what is posted every day. Also, I have been copy and pasting my posts to my own build thread and for once know where to find and am keeping up with notes for my self. Normally have a bunch of little pcs of paper that make no sense and are incomplete.

I think this is the fastest going, posted thread. Just cool.

.flg.

Skarrd

Oct 13, 2010
Chandler, AZ

@dan, your welcome! ^-^

i went out and measured my rear hub, curious if i can get a sprocket adapter. sadly no, it's too small.

then i found spooky sells a cnc'd clamp that replaces the rag joint. think i may get that and a 36t sprocket

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

would that be the pineapple thing, Skarrd? I really want to try one. The torque of the HF is eating spokes.

Please post results.

Can't you get one from Manic (Jim) If I remember correctly, he will make em to order. His work is awesome

Hammond Egger

Oct 23, 2010
Tucson, AZ

I turned the bolts around on my rear sprocket. It wasn't a problem for me but it was just driving my neighbor nuts. They needed tightened up anyway (100 mile checkup).

solokumba

Nov 24, 2010
Florida

Fabricating a new chain tensioner (one that attaches to the upper and lower bar). Not sure if I will use it or not. If I decide to sell the bike I'll probably install it so the buyer will have some chain control as they break it in.

Jax2A

Nov 5, 2010
The LC, Ohio

Last night I went to check on the drive sprocket and mounts I had painted over the weekend. The paint had wrinkled and lifted in places. Not sure if it was the weather or incompatible paint and primer. Regardless will need to strip and repaint, this time I'll make sure my paint is compatible with the primer though. As far as work done, I worked on mocking up my front leaf spring fork. I think I have it figured out fairly well now and I got the leaves of my spring cut and shaped. Also trial fit my motor for the first time and discovered I'll have to fab up a front motor mount that spaces it out from the down tube. Now I have to decide if I want to make a spacer which I imagine will make head stays a necessity or if I want to add another tubular member that may provide a secure enough mount not to require stays on on the head. Finally stripped a little of my frame just to see how difficult it was going to be.... paint on it came off pretty easy so that job shouldn't be too bad when the time comes.

Last edited:

Skarrd

Oct 13, 2010
Chandler, AZ

found out i have a very slow leak in my rear tire, nothing fix a flat wont patch.

make sure you have a 3 cross spoke pattern for that adapter. i build all mine with 4 (sometimes 5, if i wanna get really old school bmx on it.)
i've got 3 cross pattern

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska

today i was riding home from work and the temp was 3 degrees with a windsheild of 13 to 15 haveing proper clothing makes the difference from a horrible ride to a fun ride i swear its more fun to ride during winter and my motor seams to run better but is definetly harder to start after over 8 hours sitting in 3or 4 degree weather it took about 60 yards to start my bike and about 200 before it ran good thats without a choke or a primer

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska

so today was a good day for me i finally found a decent pair of snowpaints to fit me that dont look to bad and since its about 3 degrees outside they came in handy so i know this isnt really something i did to my bike but rather something i did to make my biking experience better

and since my rain paints i was using before got all sloped on with black gunk from the motor and looked really ugly i put cardboard on both sides of engine to keep the splatter of oil grease off my nice new snow pants

Skarrd

Oct 13, 2010
Chandler, AZ

got a cargo rack in the mail :D

glad it doesn't bolt to the axle like the one i used to have couple years back... don't think my axle could handle anything else bolted to it.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

Came home, no time for a ride but started her any way. Just sat for a minute or 3 and enjoyed the smell and watching the clutch shoe spin. Really like the sound of this build. Thought a bit about fabricating a fairing. Thinking from axle to about eyebrow height. Wind cutter for yr round resistance and winter warmth. dunno

Went with the MC, fleece lined gloves. Just a preference and the cuffs go over jacket cuffs.

Jax2A

Nov 5, 2010
The LC, Ohio

Didn't get home til late last night and tonight will be another late one but yesterday I did get a small sediment bowl from a 50's Evinrude outboard to use as my fuel filter on my build. Spent a little time cleaning the heavy crud off of it, seems like it will clean up real nice and add to the vintage look I want.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

Installed winter air filter cover. Instead of chicken wire or solid stock, it is the stock cover with a hole drilled over the carb's intake. Engine is still breaking in and I should have waited. It now has 4 or 500 more RPM. Will switch it back. Thinking it is just the engine wearing in.
Vid does not sound any different when switching between st8 pipe and or muffler but can hear it in person.

Put flap on helmet that covers the back of your neck. Huge difference! A lot warmer.

RiverSide :: Mufflerandopenpipe.mp4 video by dan3xd - Photobucket

Attachments

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008

I rode my bike five miles to town for a quick meal, then donated platelets at the blood bank. No bike problems, a pleasant surprise!

Top speed 40.1mph. My cheapo LED speedo only registers kilometers, so it keeps me thinking, lol.
xct2

skiball83

Nov 18, 2010
Chicago

Put my fenders back on after taking them off due to the rear one having clearance issues. Cut the rear one down using tin snips, and it fit great. Just snowed here in chi town, about 2 inches, so I thought fenders would be a good idea. Then I decided to go to the local 7-11 to try her out in the snow. Got there and ran into a friend talked a while and some random person came up and started asking ?'s, you guys know the usuall stuff, where, when, how much. After chatting a bit another friend ended up comming by. Talked a bit then finally went into the store and bought what I wanted. A 99 cent arizona iced tea. Got home and realized that an hour had gone by, the store is only 3 blocks away! BTW riding in the snow is freekin scary.
Oh also ordered a bunch of new stuff. 2 headlights a rear turn signal/rear light/horn combo, speedometer, bike alarm, and goggles for the amazing price of $66.

Last edited:

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska

skiball83 said:
BTW riding in the snow is freekin scary
word it is very very scary i know too well the dangers of riding in fresh snow i plan on buying a set of nokian extremes on payday that should help a bunch ive seen guys come to a complete stop on slick ice without a problem then set there feet down to balence and slip