New guy from Louisiana

GoldenMotor.com

mudbugone

Aug 12, 2010
Louisiana
I was introduced to this forum by Crazy Horse from a welding site we both frequent.

I have to tell you guys there are some amazing builds going on around here,which I'm sure you already know.

I'm really interested in the Board Track / Vintage replicas that are being built. I'll be looking around for some sort of antique engine to use now that I've been exposed to this site. I never knew there was such a following for this sort of fabrication.

I've been reading threads for several weeks just to get a feel for what is involved in this sport and this looks like it may be fun....

I was reading a thread about the B&E engine made from a Honda :confused: that had pretty detailed instructions/pictures on the procees involved to re-design that engine into something that looked old. Unfortunately I was interrupted in the middle of researching/reading the thread and I've been unable to relocate it. If someone bookmarked it or can redirect me to it I'd appreciate the link, I'd like to finish reading the article at least.

I'll join in as I learn more and understand the basics..... I'm already thinking of questions....LOL... Like "How do you guys STOP these things ?"

Thanks for an interesting forum on an interesting topic that looks to be a lot of fun that can be an inexpensive project or a bit more involved if you want it to be... Thanks "Crazy Horse" for steering me down a road less traveledusflg

mudbugone

Aug 12, 2010
Louisiana
Thanks ! That isn't the same article,but the results are similar (Maybe better !) It's always interesting to see thinking outside the box. Like the fake pushrod idea...

The article I was reading was pretty detailed about the method of doing the same thing to a Honda engine,but the engine had a brass plate attached that had the block letters B & E (I think?) I've been spending a great deal of time reading information though and maybe it was an article that was linked from this site.

It figures I'd run across a forum now AFTER the fact that utilizes old baloon tyred bicycles. I had several hanging around the shop for years and got tired of bumping my head on them and sold,gave away,trashed them all several years ago.

I'll collect some more bits & pieces and put something together that runs as practice,but I'm really facinated with the Vintage look bikes. I'm going to pickup an old Vespa scooter in the next few days and if I remember right the guy had a lot of old bicycles even an old trike bicycle. His place is something that would make the guys from "Pickers" happy.

I'm sure I'll have questions as time moves along,but for now I'm having a blast reading/seeing what others have done around here... I haven't seen much that wasn't interesting....and several that were downright amazing.

I bought a 100 year old small copper & brass antique motorcycle headlight 10 years ago because it was so cool and shaped like a big acorn... guess I know what it's going to be used for now... I knew I kept it for a reason...LOL

I'm going to attempt to find a real vintage motor of some sort instead of a modern powerplant to build something unusual using vintage bits & pieces. I've got lots of strange antique lights,horns,parts from playing with hotrods over the years.....

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
I'll join in as I learn more and understand the basics..... I'm already thinking of questions....LOL... Like "How do you guys STOP these things ?"

car trunks,,trees,,stop signs,,springy bushes,,,,.springy bushes are best....lol laff .duh. .weld .bf.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Welcome to the forum!
I do my best Fred Flintstone impression when I stop.

Actually, I have a coaster brake out back and an Odyssey Pitbull caliper up front.

mudbugone

Aug 12, 2010
Louisiana

car trunks,,trees,,stop signs,,springy bushes,,,,.springy bushes are best....lol laff .duh. .weld .bf.
LOL...Pretty funny!----- or maybe NOT!!!
That was my point! I remember younger days on old Cushman scooters or Servi-cycles and picking ditches over barbed wire fences...bf.

GearNut--- I like the disc idea... I looked at some for mountain bikes last week.

I'm thinking maybe even smaller motorcycle rims adapted to bike frames. Wouldn't be practical for something with a 49cc engine,but there are some bigger displacement vehicles being built that might require stopping power. Even actual factory moped wheels/tires are already fitted with brakes.

While I'll build a small displacement motor bike for puttin' around (they are just too cool)... I will probably build something along the lines/displacement of an actual vintage board track bike also. I've always loved the old bikes and this forum opens up many options.... besides 49 cc's ain't gona haul my big butt around too well..

I've been toying around with building something along the lines of a 1950's Mustang motorcycle for a while,but these look better and can be accomplished using ready made frames as a starting point..

Looking at vintage pictures the original bikes seem to be larger or is it because the people were smaller ? I'm 6' and around 240#'s so a stingray bicycle is pretty much out of the question.. It's been some time since I was around any old vintage cycles,but they seemed larger or is this my imagination.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Go with a Worksman frame.
Plenty strong for you and they have a boardtracker look to them.

Yes, a quality disc brake gives you good stopping power for sure. It's too bad I do not have one.....yet.
Be careful of the walmart ones as they seem to be of poor quality. Some folks have had issues of the brake pads jamming up in the caliper body.

A Pitbull caliper is a rim squeezer.

mudbugone

Aug 12, 2010
Louisiana