Scrapyard score!!!

GoldenMotor.com

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Took a load of junk to the scrapyard today and as I'm tossing things out of the trailer I spy a rim with a drum brake in the pile, I start climbing through everything and there ended up being 3 moped rims, 1 front and two rears. Grabbed the front and one rear that had sprockets on both sides of the hub. The other wheel was a little strange, sprocket on the right and a belt pulley on the left that had a gear reduction in the hub, left that one 'cause I couldn't think of a use for it.

Guy out in the yard said some guy brought in a Honda moped to scrap but they wouldn't let him leave the whole thing because the tank was part of the frame so he stripped it right there.

Phone was dead so I'll have to get pics later.

The rims look to be 20", spokes are badly rusted but all I'm thinking of is salvaging the hubs and possibly re-lacing them into some 26" rims if possible.

When I went after the rims they yard guy says "Uh oh, he's gone from scrapping to shopping!" laff

bandito

May 22, 2009
colorado
Im surprised they let you take them, in the land fills here that would be considered stealing because they seperate all the different valuables and resell it to recyclers. Things that are copper, steel and aluminum etc........

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Pics finally!

Well luckily they're both 36 spoke and the front will fit right onto the forks with a little bit of grinding on the axle slots. The rear is a wide one, hard to take a picture and hold the tape at the same time but it's a little over 5 1/2" so some modification of the rear will be necessary. The freewheel sprocket has a busted tooth but that's ok because I really didn't want a 22T rear sprocket anyway and if I wanted a straight 44T drive sprocket I'd be all set but these will be going on my board track winter project so I guess I'll have to have a custom 36 tooth machined.

Attachments

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Actually this is a scrapyard so at $140 a ton these probably cost me about 3¢. laff

I've gone there several times and paid literally pennies for steel to use for projects. Walked out of there once with about 20' of 3x3 steel tubing (that got turned into a receiver hitch that makes Reese hitches look like junk) for roughly $3.

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Well I cut the hubs out of the rims to take some measurements for spokes. The rear hub was in awesome shape, a few minutes with a scotchbrite pad and it shines. Started disassembly on the front, noticed the spedo drive says "VDO Made in Germany" :D. I finally get down to taking the hub apart and my heart sunk. Someone must have left this moped out with the wheel underwater because the shoes came out leaving the linings laying in the hub. I cleaned everything up and tried to think of how I could bond the linings back onto the shoes when I noticed they had "Hm" and "JB H20 FF" in the casting. After a few minutes on google and ebay I have a new set of brake shoes coming from the UK for $8.09 SHIPPED!
dnut

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
You have an awesome find there!
I used to have all kinds of mopeds and misc. parts when I was a teenager.
I had them all tucked away nice and neat in the back of the storage shed, ready for use when I needed them.
About 8 or 9 months after I moved out of my parents house, I went back into the shed to get a salsbury clutch off of a Puch (or was it a Tomos?) moped. Every last moped, part and milk crate was gone! :eek:
My dad threw it all away! When I confronted him about it he said "What would you have done with all of that useless junk? It just collects rust and dust and takes up space!"
To this day that shed sits mostly empty.
Sad, sad, sad. :(