Manic Mechanic - It's a No Brainer!

GoldenMotor.com

DOC BOLM

Aug 21, 2008
Mississippi
Hello, You All!
I received my hub adapter and sprocket from Jim today. I had it on the front seat of my truck when I stopped by the machine shop to pick up a part that they had made for me. Out of couriousity I carried Jim's parts in and asked my machinist what it would cost to duplicate it if I needed another one. After much measuring and testing for hardness of the steel and aluminum alloy my cost would be for materials, set up of CNC machine, and labor would be $200 to $250. My machinist asked me who had built the part. I told him Jim at Manic Mechanic had built it. My machinist, McGyver, said that he, himself, was the best machinist in the country but he had to step down to second place to this guy.

In many posts on this forum I have read about broken spokes, misalignment of rag joint sprocket adapters, trashy bolts that come in the kit, and the time consuming effort that it takes to install the kit drive sprocket. Jim designed and manufactured parts to help make life easier for us bike builders. For less than $60 including shipping you guys (and gals) could own a piece of precision engineered equipment that will last you a lifetime.

SPEND THE MONEY NOW...AVOID THE HEADACHES TOMORROW!

Harley's Dad

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
Doc,

Glad you liked your parts :D

I went through a bit of a learning curve on these. I knew I could make them at a reasonable price, but it took quite a bit of tooling & custom fixturing/programming to make it happen. Fortunately the bet paid off and I think I will break even in about a month.

I'm finally catching up on the orders...Monday and Tuesday the last of the back-orders will ship and I will have inventory for wave 2.

The engine mounts are next, and I will have several hundred on-hand before I release the product on the web-site...I don't want to ever be behind the "8" ball, From a production stand point, again.

I have a lot of small, inexpensive, items that will be added to the Manic Mechanic site soon. These are products that make the build easier and cleaner.

This fall I plan on doing a line of "U-finish it" products. Part of the fun of MB's is the build...I'm going to offer a complete line of products for the guy who has tools and wants to customize his parts for his build. The operations that require heavy, expensive, equipment will be completed.

I plan on offering a variety of fuel tanks at $20.00 each.

Jim

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I'm waiting for a billet tank for the Jaguar. When will they be available? Next week will be fine or I'll just get one from Walmart...:)
Tom

skjjoe

Mar 9, 2009
Boerne Texas
lol Tom . I just got another tank for my jag to see what it will look like.jags look nice with the right tank. I wish i could build for my self. just dont have the BIG stuff to do it

Jim cant wait for the tank

Junster

Jun 2, 2009
Washington St.
OMG I need a tank so bad. I already braized one of the mounting studs now I have another one leaking. Please post updates on the availability of your tanks.

GeneFiorot

Feb 12, 2009
Punta Gorda Florida
I think for the first design to be offered should be a wide low profile stretched pro street looking tank. If we want the old skool shopper look we can and use peanut HD Sportster tanks but if we want the pro street look the Motorcycle tanks get very big in size. A nice 2 gallon stretched affair with a nice curve tapering down to the seat would be nice.
Also with the risk of getting some folks here upset, or those who want everything for free, I think Jim needs to raise his prices. Its great to have the prices like they are but next year if he is not around then what will you do? Raise them now Jim!
Gene

Last edited:

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
!HOW! Crazy Horse here aka crazy indian joe the tower crane operator in Rockville, Maryland

Yes I operate those 300' foot tall cranes like the ones in the news a lot lately, have been falling down like New York & Miami Florida.

It's my opinion that Jim at ( Maniac Mechanic ) has thought out his price's very wisely, we have now over 10,000 + members in the forum and motorbicycling is fast becoming an economical reasonably affordable alternative transportation.

As I said motorbicycling is fast becoming a very popular alternative transportation people are catching the fever of this and thanks to people like Jim, he's a working guy's like life saver I myself can appreciate all his hard work & efforts to help guy's like myself with family's to support and not a lot of resource's to afford custom machined parts & supplies for their builds.

Jim, you are to me a modern day Henry Ford, helping to bring to the masses of people involved with building motorized bicycles beautiful strong high quality products to the motorbicycling enthusiast.

So Jim, raise your price's if you must but remember us lil guy's without a lot of cash struggling to make end's meet.

We are grateful for all your hard work and will continue to support your business as usual,
you are a blessing from the creator to us all!!!

Crazy Horse has spoken the truth!

Peace All.

Junster

Jun 2, 2009
Washington St.
If your looking for input on tanks. A gallon to me is plenty, 3/4 of a gallon is fine. I'd like a fairly deep tunnel and 12" to 14" long. Just so it straddles the frame more. A mount that bolts to the frame and then the tank engages the mount. Like the 2 rubber bumper mounts on older motorcycle tanks. Something that doesn't vibration stress the tank.

DOC BOLM

Aug 21, 2008
Mississippi
I have these two.They are larger than the kit tank.Red one has flat bottom,other has a tunnel.25.00 each plus shipping HD

Last edited:

fun92038

Jul 14, 2009
Michigan
Hi Jim, I did place an order for a intake manifold and exhaust gasket, but i didn't receive any order confirmation or e-mail. The paypal did charge for the payment. just need to know when can i get the items?

ku4qb

Jun 7, 2009
Moore County, NC
Hi Fun,
Jim's not big on communication. His products are great and so are his prices. If you keep your mouth shut, you will eventually get what you ordered. If you question too much you won't.
But at least you'll get a refund. No ripoff, just a bit strange IMHO. ;-}
Bill KU4QB

GeneFiorot

Feb 12, 2009
Punta Gorda Florida
Hi Fun,
Jim's not big on communication. His products are great and so are his prices. If you keep your mouth shut, you will eventually get what you ordered. If you question too much you won't.
Bill KU4QB
HUH? Me thinks you been on 80 meters in the middle of the night too long.

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
Hi Fun,
Bill KU4QB
You Sir: are a rare individual...You made me laugh harder than I have in the last 5 years! Thank you!

Honestly, I needed it.

You have offered others a "What to expect" from the Manic Mechanic shop.

Some orders go out quickly...it's literally the luck of the draw...some orders are custom, and I have to re-program the whole thing in order to make it happen. The customer is never asked for any additional monies to cover thier custom orders.

I do my best to answer phone calls. Karen talks to a lot of folks too: when I'm in the shop doing set-ups on the machines. Karen works with me side-by-side in the shop...when we're having a full-on day gettin' parts made, neither one of us answers the phone.

The email thing is sporatic at best...I admit it. We don't have a staff, it's just me and chicky "D" trying to make a living in our machine shop.

Refunds:

This is probably the most interesting part of my business...simply for the fact that it is not "easy", when really it should be. It adds a bit of humor to the daily grind.

Examples:

1) "If I do not recieve my parts in 3 days, I will be forced to start a paypal dispute".

This is "not" an adult way of asking for a refund...You: dork...Me: refund, instant.

A refund is easier for us both.

2) My favorite is the guy who does a paypal dispute "WITHOUT" asking for a refund...I love this, I really do...I close it quickly by issuing the refund, and then log the name as "will never be allowed to purchase again". Instant refund if the name appears!

3) "I know you're doing this for fun", but now there's money involved, "my money". You took my money and I have not recieved my parts. Me...I didn't take your money, you gave it to me. Refund!

4) I need these parts right now! If you can't ship right away; I will find another source for these items elsewhere online...Sorry sir we are currently out of stock, but you will find many sites that have the Chinese aftermarket parts we offer...be sure to come back in the future if availabilty becomes an issue. :D

On a serious note:

Guys: I know it's hard to wait for your stuff to arrive, I really do! I have to wait on industrial suppliers for 60 days sometimes.

I do the best I can to get the orders out...Chicky "D" and I care about every order! You guys are great!

Jim