Single Speed help

GoldenMotor.com

Irvinerider

May 17, 2009
Irvine
I am looking to add a motor to my Raleigh Rush Hour. I am concerned that my hub, which has a fixed gear and free wheel on opposite sides, will not support the chain ring necessary for the engine kits. I was thinking I may be able to use the fixed gear on my wheel, but I am not sure if there is enough clearance between my fixed gear and frame. Has anyone put an engine on a road bike? So far I have only seen mtn bikes and cruisers. If I stick with my ~13 tooth fixed gear that already exists on my rear hub, will a standard bicycle chain ring support the larger engine chain? Any help is much appreciated.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I'd pull off the fixed gear cog and run the motor sprocket on that side.
You need to know the diameter of the center hole in the motor sprocket, to be sure that it will fit over your hub and against the spokes.
An alternative might be to purchase a disk compatible cyclocross rear wheel. You can get motor sprockets (or adapters) that fit a 6 bolt disk hub.
I would swap out the drop handlebars on the Rush Hour for some riser bars before motorizing. Other than that, road bikes are normally OK to motorize. Good luck.

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
The last option, for a road bike, that I would consider is using a rubber donut mt that comes w/ the kit. Use a disc mt or mb specific hub, preferably disc mt. I attached a few pics of road bikes I've built. I hope this helps!

Attachments