new guy

GoldenMotor.com

bbwolf

Dec 30, 2015
new mexico
happy holidays everyone!!! i am a disabled cyclist, i ride a recumbent tadpole trike, im not looking to motorize my trike but i do pull a trailer and am thinking of building a push trailer, im thinking a harbor freight motor, centrifugal clutch, mounted over a single wheel bob trailer, but have some questions, when im riding pulling my trailer is there gonna be any drag or resistance from the clutch?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Welcome to the forum, Wolf. We're glad you've joined us here.

Typically you'll see little resistance from the drive system with a centrifugal clutch. When the friction pads of the clutch are disengaged, as when the engine isn't running or up to the required RPM, the drive system will simply free-wheel. Of course there can be some parasitic drag from things like the drive chain, sprockets, bearings, etc.
We would need to know more about your proposed drive system to give you a definitive answer. If possible please post a photo of the system you are planning to use.

Good luck.

Tom

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Some sort of freewheel device at the driven wheel would take care of it, surely?

bbwolf

Dec 30, 2015
new mexico
i have no idea? the trailer i pull now is made out of 3/4 conduit 3 foot wide about 5 foot long really light weight, 2 - 20 inch wheels, the hitch is a bob nut type set up coming off axle, to keep cost reasonable i was hoping to keep simple
harbor freight side shaft motor either the 6.5 hp or 3 hp both same cost, with centrifugal clutch, i have no idea about anything so any help tips tricks advice suggestions pics plans whatever is appreciated

bbwolf

Dec 30, 2015
new mexico
well guys i changed my mind i think, i been looking at a 16'' electric wheel and thinking i may just motorize my bob yak clone trailer, thing is i dont know who the best venders to deal with are,

sbest

Nov 3, 2015
Nova Scotia
The problem with electric is
1) the weight and cost of the batteries, and
2) the short range and low speed between charges

While it may only cost pennies to charge an electric, a vehicle the weight of yours would typically only travel at 15-20 mph for about 10 miles give or take 50% depending on many things.

Lead acid batteries are the cheapest at about $100 to $400 depending on capacity and voltage and you are looking at 50 to 100 lbs in batteries. Their typical life is about 2 years. Lithium batteries are less than half the weight but are 4 times the cost and at least double the life if you don't burn them out, which is very easy to do. So batteries are the big cost and problem and weight.

To keep all this weight rolling at 15mph you are going to need 500w to 1000w min, ideally geared to your pedals so you can use all the power on hills. A hub motor or hub drive isn't going to cut it.

Gas engines are not all equal. The China Girl motors are cheap and simple and complete, easiest and lightest to hook up. They are not the best word in efficiency and you have to be a bit of a hobbyist to get the most out of them. Most utility 4 strokes are only moderately efficient, but easy to hook up and you are only looking for 3-4hp for 15mph which is all you want with a bike and trailer. Again, ideally it would be best to have it geared or hills are going to be a problem, but then, you only have 10-25 lbs more.

I guess distance is the deal breaker. Longer distance you need gas, urban short distances make electric king.

Steve

bbwolf

Dec 30, 2015
new mexico
thanks sbest, you are absolutey correct the only way to get decent run time is to go with lithium batteries but they gonna be really expensive, and i talked to a guy today that has had alot of problems with his chargers, and already burned thru a few controllers, and had nthe magnets bust loose on one hub, that convinced me to reconsider going gas

bbwolf

Dec 30, 2015
new mexico
ok guys i bought a 3hp predator from harbor freight, can anyone tell me about left hand drive freewheels? where to get or how to convert?