hi everyone, does anybody have any ideas for me?

GoldenMotor.com

jimmybking

Nov 10, 2008
ohio
I've got a couple of issues, first I've been driving my bike all over the city. I've probably put 2000 miles on my first motor, but one day, one of the motor mounts broke. When I drilled it out and re-tapped it, it is just running like crap. but after I got the hole thing put back together I forgot to put the spark plug all the way in, and after a couple times around the block it shot out of the motor. Then I put it back right and now it definitely does not have the same pick up as it did. Any ideas?
Second, I just got a jesse james chopper with a new motor on the way, any ideas how to mount the motor? I saw that motor mount on ebay for the schwinn chopper, do you think that will work?

Technocyclist

Motorized Bicycle Senior Technologist
Jul 7, 2008
Asia
Try checking you intake gasket or vacuum leaks. I think you can still use the same motor but you might have to change the cylinder head...

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
If your plug was not tight it probably just backed out. If the threads are fine the head should be fine, however your cdi doesn't like to run w/o the plug grounded to the motor. It is possible that your cdi is damaged; typically they work or don't but there is no law that says it can't be damaged and still work poorly or intermitantly. did your plug electrode get closed/damaged. Start by checking that you have a fat spark by removing and holding against the head and rotating the motor. If you have a repeated fat spark then that is not your problem. You could also just replace the plug and see if that fixes the problem.

jimmybking

Nov 10, 2008
ohio
well i just tried to ride the bike with a mest up motor, and when i tried to start it sometimes it doesent want to turn over and comes to a hulting stop, then sometimes it it tries to turn over. im thinking it might be the maginto but i dont really know what the maginto does, any ideas? also ive got my new motor mounted on my jesse james chopper but im looking for a new wheel "freewheel" the whole wheel. any body have any ideas where i can get a cheep 20 in wheel "freewheel"?

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Sounds like your clutch is slipping. Pop off the cover, spray some brake cleaner on the pads and turn the flower nut in a couple of notches.

Technocyclist

Jul 7, 2008
Asia
Hey! is your muffler pointing to your fuel tank? Change that! that's not safe! Unless you wanna burn up your bike...

Technocyclist

Jul 7, 2008
Asia
yes, it gets very hot... You have to modify it. I also don't think you would enjoy oil residues and exhaust fumes spewing into your face and clothes...

Last edited:

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
you can run a straight pipe but it will be super loud and it may or may not give you an increase or decrease in performance.

You can cut the muffler away from the header pipe and put some flex conduit in between (or regular conduit if you have a bender and can weld) and secure with hose clamps or something. I can't see photobucket pictures at work, but I think walter f did it on his bike and there may be a picture or two here: http://motorbicycling.com/f15/more-california-kid-2960.html

You definitely do not want it pointing up.

Cookie

Jul 3, 2008
Just a ??

Ok guys I have a ?? I have heard of several bike frames "cracking" apart I have always been agenst drilling holes into the frame (making a weak spot).
I have always used U bolts or ignition brackets from auto zone.

Any ideas about his ???

Cookie

Cookie

Jul 3, 2008
Jim if you have 2,000 miles on the bike you probable need to replace a couple of gaskets (at 2000 is when I had to replace mine) also take your carb off and clean the bowl and check the float. I had a little flaking in mine after 2000 even with an in line fule filter.

Cookie

jimmybking

Nov 10, 2008
ohio
thanks cookie, i havent been driving my mountain bike in a whyle (my first build) because its cold and ive been working on my wcc for the past couple of weeks (my second and current build) but its almost done, so ill be working on my mountain bike very soon. what im thinking is when i first put the mountain bike together i didnt have the cdi bolted on tight and after driving a couple times around the block it started to slip and ended up on the muffler and melted. so i put some duck tape around it and drove it like that all summer. i think that is why its not firing anymore. what do you think?

jimmybking

Nov 10, 2008
ohio
some new things i had to do to the back wheel, new freewheel sprocket and a new crank. so i guess all thats left is get a couple more links for the small chain, and put the little things on! its getting exciting!!!!!!!!

Attachments

Cookie

Jul 3, 2008
Jim this is a little late :rolleyes: but I would have set the motor further back and either trimed a little off the breather or made a basket for the breather (small wire jewlery or notion box works great form to fit add foam) that would have given you room for the muffler one thing I have not seen is as the motor breaks in you will have a little oil drip out of the muffler inbetween cleanings of the muffler and I would be afraid of what a back wash of dirty oil would do to the motor.:confused:

As for the breaks you may have to re adjust the ones that came on the bike any bike shop can show you how to do that or get a bigger break .

This is a littke^5 FYI if you have a lpace in town that installs garage door openers go talk to them about their old chains they are very long but the tooth size is the same as what we use on these motors and they also have the lock keys ......on my first bike I could not adjust the chain so I went to one of those places and they adjusted the chain and gave me a hand full of the keys and several long chains that they where going to throw away.

Cookie ()