Crazyhorse's Custom Motorized Bicycle Builder build a shop with Harbor Freight Tools

GoldenMotor.com

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
Are you new to motorized bicycling and finally want to start your own Custom Motorized Bicycle build. You can start Chopping and fabricating a custom build and that's why I started this thread, so you too can cut up and recycle an old bicycle frame or start with new steel tubing for your custom build.

I'll post pictures of my favorite tools that I bought at HFT Co. and my favorite tools start with a cheap $9.99 4-1/2 inch Grinder and the $99.00 dollar 90-Amp Mig welder. These two favorites of mine above are what got me started, building and fabricating my own builds.

Thanks to: Forum members, RedB66 & Graucho, & Brad & Kat @ atomic zombie, and all the members here at motorbicycling.com who have contributed, inspired and encouraged my hobby of motorized bicycles, for getting me hooked again on fabricating and building custom bicycles. C.H.

So you want to build a custom motorized bicycle, I can show you how with just a few tools you can get started. Some of you don't have tools. If you have friends or family that have tools borrow them for free. If you have a ($200)) couple of hundred bucks you can get some very inexpensive tools from HFT Co.

Where to find bicycles frames parts etc for free or very inexpensively:

Some other great custom build bicycle parts sources are: landfill sites, yard sales, auctions, flea markets, thrift stores, craigslist and classifieds, and of course family, friends, colleagues, etc. If you plan on taking up this hobby, put the word out to family, friends and coworkers that you will refuse no used bikes! You'll be surprised how many bikes and parts you will accumulate quickly. Old bikes, exercise equipment, so build up your spare parts pile and start your custom builds.

What do you need to start building your Custom Bicycle Garage or Shop?
Only basic tools: welder and accessories, welding helmet, screwdrivers, wrenches, level, measuring tape, hacksaw, clamps, angle grinder, gloves, safety glasses, face shield, ear plugs and hammer. You don't need to have expensive tools and equipment to build custom bikes

The first tools that you will need to get you started are listed below

1. Safety Equipment. Glasses, Gloves, Hearing Protection, Welding Helmet, Fire Extinguisher. Items above can be purchased for around $100 or less especially from HFT Co.

2. Power Tools. Grinder 4-1/2" only $9.99 HFT Co. 90-Amp Flux-Core Welder around $99.00 when on sale @ HFT Co.

I'd also suggest a book that will help you get started it's from our friends over @ Atomic Zombie, this book will show you how easy it is getting started.

Here are the Books:

Here's my custom motorized bicycle building thread for building your shop and tools and reviews of said tools bought on a very low budget from Harbor Freight Tool Co.

If you can afford Expensive Tools don't bother reading this thread, just start your own thread for that.

If you are a beginner motorized bicycle builder or experienced motorized bicycle builder, you can find some great tools inexpensively at Harbor Freight Tools.

I'd like to share here in this thread all about cheap / inexpensive tools for your custom builds from Harbor Freight:

1. Tool Tips and Tool Reviews

2. Buyer Beware Buyers Guide

3. Wish List and Gift Guide for those contemplating a Tool Gift for someone from Harbor Freight

4. Harbor Freight Tool Sales and Coupons

I started purchasing tools from Harbor Freight for Custom Bicycle Builds, mainly because I didn't see the need to go into debt purchasing tools that would never pay for themselves.

When or if I purchase an item over $100 I always ask myself do I need the extended warranty for 2 years, if this tool is used frequently then yes I get the warranty. So before the 2-year's is up and tool is not functioning like it's supposed to I return it and get a new tool.

The tools and equipment that I purchase for custom motorized bicycle building are:

Garage & Shop,
Welding Shop Welders & Welding Equipment

Power Tools,
everything from cordless tool kits, drills, saws, grinders and more.

Air Tools Pneumatic,
Air compressors, impact wrenches and air grinders, to pneumatic hoses and air tool fittings.

Hand Tools,
Sockets & Ratchets, Tool Storage, Clamps, Wrenches, Hammers, Screwdrivers, Organizers,Bins & Containers, Pry Bars, Saws, Hex Head Wrenches, Files, Chisels & Carving, Punches, Snips, Tap & Die, Nutdriver's, Bolt Cutters, Squares, Hand Riveters, Rolling Cabinets, Tool Carts, Protractors, Top Cabinets.

Engines & Generators,
Predator Engines for motorizing bicycles, Generators for backup power.

I hope everyone will share about the inexpensive tools that have performed at above what was expected, please share your positive experiences and tips to make them even better.

To be continued....

Peace Crazy Horse

Last edited:

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
Re: Crazyhorse's Custom Motorized Bicycle Builder build a shop with Harbor Freight To

Isn't that what the reviews are for on HF's site? I too use their stuff for my home shop because the bike stuff doesn't warrant large floor equipment most of the time, and have found the reviews there to be useful to judge whether a product is worth trying out or not.

A lot of people at the racetrack use their tools because some of them last a long time, and the ones that don't are cheap so they aren't worth fixing.

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
Re: Crazyhorse's Custom Motorized Bicycle Builder build a shop with Harbor Freight To

Anyway … Here’s a list of all the things I’ve bought over the past 2-years at Harbor Freight Tools.

Harbor Freight Tool List

Tool HF Part # Category Description/Additional Information

240 Volt Inverter Arc/TIG Welder with Digital Readout Item #98233
Welder
Designed for both TIG and arc/MMA welding applications, this welder machine welds mild steel, low alloy steel and stainless steel. The TIG method of welding gives you more control than other, faster, methods to create stronger, higher-quality welds. Features on this versatile welder include a high open voltage to finish the job quicker and an easy-to-use anti-stick circuit for rutile, basic, stainless steel and cast iron electrodes.
Bought this Tig/Arc Welder on sale proir to HFT changing their coupon policy. It was on sale $399.00 February 2010 and with my 20% off coupon it was around $350.00. I'd advise anyone who purchases this welder get the 2-year replacement, after 20-months return it for replacement.
Rating: ★★★★½

My first welder from Harbor Freight was the,
90-Amp Flux Wire Mig Item #68887 Sale Price $109.99
Functionality of a MIG welder without the hassle of gas. This Flux Core Arc Welder (FCAW) is specifically designed to use self-shielding flux-cored welding wire, eliminating any need for gas and regulators normal MIG welders require. Set-up is easy for gasless flux-cored welding. With a variable speed wire control and thermal overload protection, this flux wire welder is easy to use. Great little welder just ask forum member ( Graucho ), and see his builds here in the forum.

11 Piece 1/2" Deep Wall Impact Socket Set (SAE & Metric) Item #7383
Air Tools
They work fine.
Rating: ★★★★☆

Professional 301 Piece Mechanic's Tool Kit Item #45951
Air Tools
This professional mechanic's tool set contains a comprehensive collection of the most used automotive and mechanic's tools, including adjustable wrenches, pliers, and sockets in SAE and Metric measurements. Constructed of durable chrome vanadium, this mechanic's tool set is built to last. Includes a custom storage case to keep tools organized and protected. A decent starter set for an impact wrench if you are limited by storage space.

2.5 Horsepower, 10 Gallon, 125 PSI Air Compressor Item #67708
Air Tools
This 2.5 horsepower air compressor is powerful, portable and features a high impact ABS shroud for maximum protection. The clear view oil window lets you know when it's time to refill oil and easy-to-read tank and outlet gauges make this air compressor user friendly as well. I paid around $149.00 on sale.

125 psi Air Flow Regulator Item #36797
Air Tools
It regulates air and doesn't leak. What more could you want for $6.99

6 Ton Jack Stand Set Item #38847
Automotive Shop Tools
Seems fine for the price.

2 Piece Wheel Chocks Item #97429
Automotive Shop Tools
It works.

7 Function Digital Multimeter Item #90899
Electrical
No idea if this is accurate or not.
Rating: ★★★☆☆

5 Piece 8 to 32 Oz. Ball Pein Hammer Set Item #36523
Hand Tools
This set is a winner for less than $10.

5 Piece Auto Trim and Molding Tool Set Item #67021
Hand Tools
Little plastic pry bars. Handy and not too breakable.

3 Piece Long Reach Hose Grip Pliers Item #37909
Hand Tools
The absolute best thing I ever bought from Harbor Freight.

4 Piece Heavy Duty Pry Bar Set Item #1654
Hand Tools
4 heavy duty bars for $7.99.

7 Piece Pick & Hook Set Item #93958
Hand Tools
Large and small sizes. Invaluable for picking out o-rings etc. This set works fine and is cheap.

3 Piece Aviation Snip Set Item #37325
Hand Tools
About what you'd expect from cheap imports.

6" Composite Digital Caliper Item #93293
Measuring
As long as you understand that "composite" = "plastic" you'll be OK with this caliper. I bought it as a throw-away that I could leave in my tool box and it works OK. But I should have read the specs further, Like where it claims a 0.001" accuracy and a 0.01" precision. Sure it's accurate to the thousandth -- even if you can only read to the hundredth. They now have a version which reads in fractional inches and I'd buy that one if I was doing it again.

6" Bench Grinder with Gooseneck Lamp Item #37822
Metalworking Tools
What can go wrong with a bench grinder? It's a motor and a couple of bolts. This one works as you'd expect. Turn it on and it spins. A decent tool for the price.

4-1/2" Angle Grinder Item #95578
Metalworking Tools
Hideously cheap, I bought it on sale for $9.99. Pays for itself.

Pneumatic Adjustable Roller Seat Item #46319
Shop Tools
Vinyl is a bit flimsy and the mechanism is far from smooth, but overall it's a decent stool for working on a custom bicycles.
Rating: ★★★½☆

Large Steel Service Cart With Locking Drawer Item #90428
Shop Tools
Much sturdier than I expected. This is a very usable cart and the drawer is a good size.

8" Flat Jaw Welding Pliers Item #93062
Welding
Not as nice feeling or gripping as my Crescent pliers, but handy in a pinch.

Welding Cart Item # 90305
Welding
The 90305 version is much better than the original.
Rating: ★★☆☆☆

Adjustable Shade Auto-Darkening Welding Helmet Item #46092 Welding
But for the very limited amount of hobby welding I do I can't justify a few hundred dollars for a brand-name helmet.
Rating: ★★★½☆

4 3/4" Multipurpose Magnet Holder Item #1938
Welding
Works.

11" Swivel Pad Lock-Grip Pliers Item #39535
Welding
Works great. Jaws line up pretty well and they seems to be plenty strong.

3-way Edging Clamp Item #4067
Welding
Handy for welding and stuff.

3" Corner Clamp Item #1852
Welding
They work great.

More to come....ie How about a Blank Harbor Freight Gift / Tool Wish List that you can give to family, friends, significant other. Help yourself get the tools you need want etc...

Notice, I'm sharing this information for those who are new to motorized bicycles and are ready to start building their own frames and fabricating parts.

So save yourself some money and just start with a Angle Grinder, 4-1/2" Item#95578 and the 90-Amp Mig Item #68887 90 Amp Flux Wire Welder. These are inexpensive Items that will get you started on custom bicycle frame building, modifying and fabricating for under $150.00

Maxvision

Jun 13, 2009
San Diego, CA

I HATE Harbor Freight.
Whenever I go in there to buy one thing I walk out with ten!

Last edited:

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA

I HATE Harbor Freight.
Whenever I go in there to buy one thing I walk out with ten!
DITTO, Max! Gotta get your hate on for Harbor Freight.

Some pic's of the $9.99 4-1/2" Angle Grinder Item# 95578 and the $350.00 Tig / Arc Welder Item# 98233 for those of you who'm are contemplating, Custom Building Bicycles.

Here's an inexpensive 4-1/2" Angle Grinder, I buy these a couple at a time! When on sale for $9.99

Here's my inexpensive $350.00 Tig / Arc Welder Item# 98233, and my lil Mig $1,750.00 more expensive toy a Millermatic 211 MVP.

I gifted my Harbor Freight 90 Amp FCAW Mig to my brother.
I have to find a pic of it to add here.

Notice!

I buy a lot of inexpensive stuff for Custom Building Bicycles from Harbor Freight Tools, even if most of it is inexpensive Chinesium. I also have many tools which I use heavily (for which I have large collection of Craftsman, MAC, Miller, Milwaukee, and DeWalt), there are many things I do infrequently or lightly enough that a cheap tool is a valuable addition to my Custom Cruisers Bicycle garage / shop.

For anyone reading this who isn’t familiar with Harbor Freight Tools, they are a company in California that imports and sells via catalog, internet, and retail stores a variety of inexpensive Chinese-made machine tools, hand tools, and hardware. Their catalogs are legendary for being frequently published with utterly disorganized pricing. It is common to receive two catalogs the same week showing the same item at different prices. In fact, it is very common for the same item to be shown in a single catalog multiple times with multiple prices. But such is the price you pay for being able to buy a $499.00 240 Volt Inverter Tig / Arc Welder with Digital Readout Item# 98233 . (Yes, I own one, bought on sale for $350.00.

Much of the stuff in the catalog is so poorly made that it will break or simply fall apart after a few uses, hence the very economical inexpensive tools that will pay for themselves. However hidden in there are some true STONE COLD BARGAINS. Eventually in due course I’ll try and write about the good ones I’ve found.

C.H.

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay

That's why you read the reviews on their website on item before purchasing them online or in the stores. That way you can avoid wasting money on the few tools left there that aren't any good, or know if a warranty is worth purchasing on an item.

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA

Are you new to motorized bicycling and finally want to start your own Custom Motorized Bicycle build. You can start Chopping and fabricating a custom build and that's why I started this thread, so you too can cut up and recycle an old bicycle frame or start with new steel tubing for your custom build.

I'll post pictures of my favorite tools that I bought at HFT Co. and my favorite tools start with a cheap $9.99 4-1/2 inch Grinder and the $99.00 dollar 90-Amp Mig welder. These two favorites of mine above are what got me started, building and fabricating my own builds.

Thanks to: Forum members, RedB66 & Graucho, & Brad & Kat @ atomic zombie, and all the members here at motorbicycling.com who have contributed, inspired and encouraged my hobby of motorized bicycles, for getting me hooked again on fabricating and building custom bicycles. C.H.

I hope everyone will share about the inexpensive tools that have performed at above what was expected, please share your positive experiences and tips to make them even better.

The first tools that you will need to get you started are listed below

Power Tools. Grinder 4-1/2" only $9.99 HFT Co. 90-Amp Flux-Core Welder around $99.00 when on sale @ HFT Co.

I'd also suggest a book that will help you get started it's from our friends over @ Atomic Zombie, this ( Bicycle Builders Bonanza ) this book will show you how easy it is getting started.

To be continued....

My first post explains that this thread is all about showing new bicycle builders how to start building a custom made bicycle.

All you need to start is a bicycle or bicycle frame, or some steel, and just with 2 tools to start with a 4-1/2" Angle grinder, and an inexpensive Harbor Freight 90-Amp Mig welder. With a little Patience and practice you can start building your own custom bicycles.

I've shared information in this thread about some of the inexpensive tools that I've purchased and used for my custom bicycle builds to help you get started.

This is what makes Motorbicycling.com so great members are willing to share their knowledge and experience about the motorized bicycling community.
Peace Crazy Horse.

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA

Steps to Build a Custom Bicycle Frame

Before you start on your endeavor of making a custom bicycle frame, you must consider the fact that you need to be adept at tasks such as cutting the metal and welding the different parts together. If you are not skilled at tasks such as these, then you need to take the help of someone who is skilled enough to help you. ie your local welding shop Here you can with patience learn to build a your own bicycle frame as it is the easiest to build. In order to build your very own custom bicycle frame at home, there's a small list of things that you must have.

Materials And Tools Required

Frame jig ( See CulverCityClassics Thread Inexpensive Frame Jig Thread )
Tube bender
Long steel tubes (1" to 1.25" diameter and 10 to 16 gauge thickness)
Steel tubes diameter is whatever your preference is
Measuring tape
Protractor
Marker
Welder
A saw
A angle grinder
Sandpaper
Nuts and bolts
Engine plates
Steering neck
Safety gear to protect your hands and eyes

Now that you know what are the things you need, let's move on to the procedure of making a custom bicycle frame. Follow the steps suggested / given below.

Step 1: Creating the Design
The first step is to draw the design you want, on a piece of paper. Use your imagination and make a rough sketch and mention the specifications on the drawing. You need to specify things such as the rake (angle of the steering head aka headtube), stretch, strength, trail, wheel base(distance between the center of the wheels), etc. You can even download technical blueprints from the Web to serve your purpose. Once you have the sketch ready, you can put it up before you for reference. You can go to your nearest Kinkos copy center and have them print you full sized drawings of your design.

Step 2: Taking Measurements
The next step is to measure the length of the various parts and mark them on the steel tube. Use the protractor to measure the rake angle and the angle of the neck. Normally the rake angle is close to 40 degrees (measured from a vertical line drawn through the center of the neck). As for the axle heights, it depends on the wheels you use. Let's consider you're using 21" front wheel and 18" rear wheels. In that case, the front and rear axle heights will be 10.5" and 9" respectively. Now, is a good time to place the engine on the frame jig to locate the positions of the engine mounts. Remember to hold it a little above the jig to account for the thickness of the frame tube. You can try aligning the neck to decide the angle of the downtubes. Let's consider the angle of the downtubes to be 70 degrees.

Step 2: Cutting the Parts
Now that you have all the measurements ready with you, the next step is to cut the parts using the an angle grinder or saw. Remember to cut the pieces a few inches longer than the desired length. This is to allow for the pieces to be cut short if need be, in case of errors during welding. You need to cut pieces to form the rear triangle, dropouts / axle, center brace, headtube / steering yolk, the downtubes, the top tubes and the bottom tubes.

Step 3: Welding the Parts
Before you begin welding the parts using a welding gun, make it a point to wear protective gear. Wear goggles to protect your eyes and gloves to protect your hands from the sparks during welding. Place the pieces along the jig and start welding. First of all, I start lower or bottom tube of the frame, and work my way up to the top tube. After you're done with the welding, you can begin assembly of the bike fix. This completes the basic structure of your custom bicycle frame.

Step 4: Adding the Finishing Touches
Once you have finished with the basic structure, use the sandpaper to file the joints to make them appear smooth. If you know how to paint a bicycle, paint it in a color of your choice and baa-bam! Your attractive brand new bike is ready for a ride!

Thus, you see that building a custom bicycle frame is not as difficult as it seems. If you are not skilled enough at tasks such as welding and metal-cutting, you can still have a customized bicycle of your own. All you need to do is to get an old bike and redesign it to give it a look of your choice! This may appear easier and takes less time. So, go ahead and give your bike a new look or better still, make a new one to suit your tastes!

Here's CulverCityClassics thread cheap bicycle frame jig
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=27515

Last edited:

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay

Only for 4 easy payments of $19.95, but wait, there's more!...

People without confidence in their metalworking skills have no business cutting and welding their frames to different shapes, unless they would like to risk a high speed frame disintegration.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine

TBH a lack of confidence is a heck of a lot safer than overconfidence ;)

Granted there's a safety concern, but we all need to start somewhere & better even a shoddy weld then not trying at all. We're all abomineering engines to bicycles, safety is relative lol

Grab a tool & set fire to stuff, it's the only way to learn... just remember to watch your fingers, if it doesn't look quite right it isn't & there's isn't anything that can't be done better the 2nd time around :D

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay

For safety's sake, I'd only recommend welding frames with commensurate experience, a TIG welder, and knowledge of the metallurgy involved and any heat treatment required post welding. It's bad enough riding around on a road with crazy drivers, nobody wants their frame breaking at speed!

There's a lot more that goes into it than we care to think about.

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA

Steps to Build a Custom Bicycle Frame

Before you start on your endeavor of making a custom bicycle frame, you must consider the fact that you need to be adept at tasks such as cutting the metal and welding the different parts together. If you are not skilled at tasks such as these, then you need to get the help of someone who is skilled enough to help you. ie your local welding shop
Here you can with patience learn to build a your own bicycle frame as it is the easiest to build. In order to build your very own custom bicycle frame at home, there's a small list of things that you must have.

See post #9 of this thread for more details.

Think before you act on creating a custom build, like others have suggested this is serious / dangerous to be cutting / fabricating / welding if you don't know what you are doing.

Like BarelyAWake said in post#11
Quote:
Grab a tool & set fire to stuff, it's the only way to learn... just remember to watch your fingers, if it doesn't look quite right it isn't & there's isn't anything that can't be done better the 2nd time around. End Quote.

C.H.

P.S. If I hadn't of removed those training wheels on my first bike from childhood. Don't be afraid to try, it's the only way to find out if you can do it that is build your own custom bicycle. You know it's a good thing to be able to ride without those training wheels, I'd most likely still be riding with them on my bikes if I hadn't tried and learned that yes I can ride without them!

So be safe and take it slow and do your homework get some experience / skills / practice and start building and customizing your bike.

Remember this thread is to help get you started, with cheap inexpensive tools.
Notice: It was forum member Graucho, who inspired me to start my own Custom Builds, using the same tools he purchased inexpensively.

Still not a believer see Graucho's thread Super Fat Chopper Bicycle, there he list's his build and source list for his super fat chopper build! Link below is to main / first page of the thread.
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=6778&highlight=graucho

See Graucho's,
Build / Source / and Tool List for his Super Fat Chopper Fat Tire Bicycle below it's on page 4, post #34 of the thread.
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?p=73291#post73291

Maxvision

Jun 13, 2009
San Diego, CA

TBH a lack of confidence is a heck of a lot safer than overconfidence ;)

Granted there's a safety concern, but we all need to start somewhere & better even a shoddy weld then not trying at all. We're all abomineering engines to bicycles, safety is relative lol

Grab a tool & set fire to stuff, it's the only way to learn... just remember to watch your fingers, if it doesn't look quite right it isn't & there's isn't anything that can't be done better the 2nd time around :D
BarelyAWake, I'm reading your post, glancing at your avatar and laughing my ass off. The picture SO suits what you're saying.

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA

Anyway … Here’s a list of all the things I’ve bought over the past 2-years at Harbor Freight Tools.

Harbor Freight Tool List

My first welder from Harbor Freight was the,
90-Amp Flux Wire Mig Item #68887 Sale Price $109.99
Functionality of a MIG welder without the hassle of gas. This Flux Core Arc Welder (FCAW) is specifically designed to use self-shielding flux-cored welding wire, eliminating any need for gas and regulators normal MIG welders require. Set-up is easy for gasless flux-cored welding. With a variable speed wire control and thermal overload protection, this flux wire welder is easy to use. Great little welder just ask forum member ( Graucho ), and see his builds here in the forum.

More to come....ie How about a Blank Harbor Freight Gift / Tool Wish List that you can give to family, friends, significant other. Help yourself get the tools you need want etc...

Notice, I'm sharing this information for those who are new to motorized bicycles and are ready to start building their own frames and fabricating parts.

So save yourself some money and just start with a Angle Grinder, 4-1/2" Item#95578 and the 90-Amp Mig Item #68887 90 Amp Flux Wire Welder. These are inexpensive Items that will get you started on custom bicycle frame building, modifying and fabricating for under $150.00

I'm still working on a Tool Wish List that you can copy print and write in the items you'd like for significant other / family / friends to have showing what you'd like from HFT Co.

To Be Continued....

FTW

Mar 26, 2013
SA

I hope so otherwise we all got problems

Mar 31, 2013
RI

...i'm glad i'm having my first bike built for me because that gives me some time to aquire the tools and no-how going forward.

i'm also beginning to see how much there is that i don't know, fortunately, at my age, i understand the value of study and research.

thanks for posting this kind of stuff for noob's like me.

peace, bozo

fastfingas

Dec 25, 2011
New Orleans

Well I have to say thanks to you for giving me alittle more confidence in harber freight tools!!! before this I won't even consider putting out 400.00 dollors on a welding machine from them!!! I could'nt bring myself to buy a framing nail gun from'em and thats about a100.00????

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay

Don't buy a vise from them, they're made from cast iron "foam" and will crack in half.