Going a different direction with my second build

GoldenMotor.com

donphantasmo

Oct 3, 2010
Middleburg, FL
So. My first build is done. I'm pretty much bored with it at this point. I actually like the bike a lot now. To the point that I don't want it motorized any more. I want to just pedal it. With that being said, I bought another bike for Wally world, and I bought it with the intention of putting a motor with a Jackshaft kit on it. I've read a few posts about Jackshaft builds, but I'm worried about jumping into this one head first.

So, Anyone have any advice. I was going to buy this shifter kit from Sick-Bike-Parts. HD Shifter

Does anyone have experience with this particular product? I'm pretty mechanically inclined, but anything I should know before buying it? How about install? Anything I should know about that?

How about the bike? I made sure the bike had a large enough frame to accommodate both engine and shifter kit. The engine is just a regular Chinese 2 stroke I got from Piston bikes a year ago. It runs great, pretty well broken in by now, and I just don't want to get another one and go through the brake in and all the other crap. with that said.. Any thoughts???

Attachments

professor

Oct 14, 2009
Buffalo ny area
The comments here are that the HD shift kit is very good.
About that bike, I personally would avoid aluminum frames (don't know what that one is though), make sure the motor actually fits in there.

donphantasmo

Oct 3, 2010
Middleburg, FL
I was worried about the Aluminum frame, too, Professor. But, my buddy has one, and he swears by them.
I'm 95% sure the frame and bike combo will work. I just can't wait to get them together..

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
You're just about on the same path I was. I built up a Micargi cruiser first, but because I was a road cyclist back in the day, I thought I'd put a 50 on a roadbike and as light as possible, but still a bike I could shut down and pedal as normal as possible.

My second build is still that- but when I started to build up a Schwinn World Traveller I found the frame clearances were more of an issue- not insurmountable- but I didn't want something to fidget with all the time- Don't know about a shift kit- haven't used that but been a bike mechanic in shops a few times and around cycling for 40 plus years

the kicker was though that the top tube was too short for the both tank and any kind of normal peddling- and I didn't want a rear tank particularly-

So- since the cruiser frames have come a LONG WAY- in terms of weight- I still did the same basic striving for a lightweight normal pedlling approach thing- but used a Huffy Cruiser frame-

and I used narrow 700C wheels- a lightweight alloy 3 piece crank, alloy bars and stem- even titanium clutch cover bolts- and I bolted an alloy sprocket to a flip flop hub- saving all that steel sprock and ragjoint weight- and even found a light 415 trike chain- about half the kit weight. I use a smaller tank, and it's never a problem- I'm never more than 5 miles from home it seems.

I had to push it upstairs and at least don't have to do that now.

And it really now pedals almost like a road bike and zips along under power

Last edited: