New BMP COMBO DRIVE MOUNTING KIT

GoldenMotor.com

Speed Biker

Dec 8, 2010
Portland Oregon
Hmmmm...is this fact or friction...can't drive in the rain....LOL?

I run 3 BMP friction drives with 3 Dax Super Titans. It rains about 60 inches a year here. Just got back from a 7 mile ride with my son in the rain. Bikes are covered with leaf litter and "slop". Neither of us had any slippage issues. PERIOD. This includes inclines of about 45 degrees that go for a city block. Slippage?....NOPE.

Now...I must admit before I tried friction drives and was running the "80" Skyhawks with chain drives I figured friction drives would slip in the rain.
However, when I built my first BMP kit with a 35cc Honda for my father in law, I figured I'd test it hard and see what they could do. Now the friction drive Honda 35 didn't have much horsepower behind it...but it ran so smooth, so quiet, so vibration free...compared to the chain drive skyhawks.....I figured....this has SERIOUS potential, it just needs MORE horsepower!

So......tried out a Super Titan. Initially, I figured 50 Honda...but there is no "easy" clutch method for them. So... figured...I'd try the Super Titan. WOW! No way I'm ever going back to 2 stroke happy time motors. Since then...purchased 2 more Super Titans for the other 2 bikes in the family motor pool.

Initially....I was very suspicious of 4 stroke vs 2 stroke...figured I'd lose power. Boy....was I wrong. The Super Titan flys up hills (1.25 BMP roller) where previously I'd be peddling my guts out with a 48 tooth rear sprocket and the big Skyhawks.

Tires....I'm running Surfas, City Drifters at 55 psi. They are spendy....but a top rate tire. Couldn't be more pleased with them in the rain. Traction is excellent, they do not slip on wet leaves, mud etc. They wear like iron. Only place I could find them was REI.

So....I'm going to have to say....myth busted. Friction drives work in the rain, just as well as in the dry. I only drive about 2,500 miles a season....but about 1/2 of that is in rain.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Thanks for the info
So, you are saying that BMP friction drives work in the rain

Hmmmm...is this fact or friction...can't drive in the rain....LOL?

I run 3 BMP friction drives with 3 Dax Super Titans. It rains about 60 inches a year here. Just got back from a 7 mile ride with my son in the rain. Bikes are covered with leaf litter and "slop". Neither of us had any slippage issues. PERIOD. This includes inclines of about 45 degrees that go for a city block. Slippage?....NOPE.

Now...I must admit before I tried friction drives and was running the "80" Skyhawks with chain drives I figured friction drives would slip in the rain.
However, when I built my first BMP kit with a 35cc Honda for my father in law, I figured I'd test it hard and see what they could do. Now the friction drive Honda 35 didn't have much horsepower behind it...but it ran so smooth, so quiet, so vibration free...compared to the chain drive skyhawks.....I figured....this has SERIOUS potential, it just needs MORE horsepower!

So......tried out a Super Titan. Initially, I figured 50 Honda...but there is no "easy" clutch method for them. So... figured...I'd try the Super Titan. WOW! No way I'm ever going back to 2 stroke happy time motors. Since then...purchased 2 more Super Titans for the other 2 bikes in the family motor pool.

Initially....I was very suspicious of 4 stroke vs 2 stroke...figured I'd lose power. Boy....was I wrong. The Super Titan flys up hills (1.25 BMP roller) where previously I'd be peddling my guts out with a 48 tooth rear sprocket and the big Skyhawks.

Tires....I'm running Surfas, City Drifters at 55 psi. They are spendy....but a top rate tire. Couldn't be more pleased with them in the rain. Traction is excellent, they do not slip on wet leaves, mud etc. They wear like iron. Only place I could find them was REI.

So....I'm going to have to say....myth busted. Friction drives work in the rain, just as well as in the dry. I only drive about 2,500 miles a season....but about 1/2 of that is in rain.

Speed Biker

Dec 8, 2010
Portland Oregon
Yes. The regular BMP friction drive works in the rain....at least with the tires I'm using at 55psi pressure.

The massive torque of the Super Titan might also have something to do with it...but as that's the only motors I'm running now I have nothing else to compare it to...so can't say for certain.

bikeybikerton

Nov 10, 2016
hawaii
I know this thread is many years old, but does anyone know where I can get this kit or similar? The links don't work anymore.
Thanks