Hi, Project at hand

GoldenMotor.com

Walzy

Apr 27, 2010
Surprise AZ
Hi everyone,

I just bought my 13 year old son a stretched beach cruiser. We are going to start a dad and son project and put a motor on the bike. We live in surprise AZ and I have read the laws for AZ and it all looks good for us to do this and be legal about it. Not sure if there are city laws and restrictions that will fall into place though. My son is much exited about doing this. Some kids have been razzing him about it telling him that they are going to call the cops if they see him ride it. Because there were some kids that had mini bikes tearing up the park across the street from us and I called the cops on them. So I want to be as legal about it as I can. Does anyone know anything on the city restrictions in Surprise AZ? We haven’t bought out engine yet not sure what one to go with yet. Ben done allot of reading on them and comparing them. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks Walzy
.we.

city of angels

May 24, 2009
tucson az
hi i am sorry to say this but your son can not ride a motorized bicycle here is some of the laws i found speed limit can not esceed 20 mph driver must be a least 16 years of age to drive a motorized bicycle in the city limits operators and passengers of the age of 18 must wear a helmet if you havea more questions go on to sppoky tooth web site and they have more lwasthat you could look at

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
welcome from FH :)
here is the AZ statute

28-2516 - Motorized electric or gas powered bicycles or tricycles; definition

28-2516. Motorized electric or gas powered bicycles or tricycles; definition

A. Notwithstanding any other provision of this title:

1. A certificate of title is not required for a motorized electric or gas powered bicycle or tricycle.

2. Registration is not required for a motorized electric or gas powered bicycle or tricycle.

3. Vehicle license tax is not imposed on a motorized electric or gas powered bicycle or tricycle.

4. A motorized electric or gas powered bicycle or tricycle is exempt from the provisions of section 28-964 relating to required equipment on motorcycles and motor-driven cycles and from the provisions of title 49, chapter 3, article 5 relating to vehicle emissions inspections.

5. A driver license is not required to operate a motorized electric or gas powered bicycle or tricycle.

6. A motorized electric or gas powered bicycle or tricycle may use rights-of-way designated for the exclusive use of bicycles.

7. A motorized electric or gas powered bicycle or tricycle is not subject to chapter 9 of this title.

B. This section does not prohibit a local authority from adopting an ordinance that regulates or prohibits the operation of motorized electric or gas powered bicycles or tricycles, except that a local authority shall not adopt an ordinance that requires registration and licensing of motorized electric or gas powered bicycles or tricycles.

C. For the purposes of this section, "motorized electric or gas powered bicycle or tricycle" means a bicycle or tricycle that is equipped with a helper motor that has a maximum piston displacement of forty-eight cubic centimeters or less, that may also be self-propelled and that is operated at speeds of less than twenty miles per hour.

solomon503

May 9, 2010
portland
Hi i am actually the same age as your son and am building a motorized stingray, and the law in oregon is that anything 50cc and under is street legal. as long as you have head/tail lights, a speedometer , and a DOT helmet.
i hope this helps!