Single wheel light weight bicycle trailer.

GoldenMotor.com

jcchappy

Aug 18, 2009
antlers, ok.
I'm not sure where to put this. if it will fit somewhere else better by all means move it on. A few weekends ago I built this single wheeled trailer for camping on the moutain bikes. I took it about 20 - 25 miles over really rough terrain with about 15 lbs weight on it seemed to work very good.
I used an old 26" bike front fork tube and wheel. I left brakes intact to eventually hook them up for stopping power. The frame of the trailer is conduit. the hitch part is a u joint assembly from a cars steering column. i welded a collor to the u joint assembly then drilled a hole in the collor welded a nut over the hole and by use of a bolt you can tesion the collor to the seat post. the trailer will pivot up and down and side to side by use of the u joint. The whole trailer assembly weighs about 12- 15 lbs. rolls very easy and as you can see will hold up up to 80 lbs (the 2 cinder blocks at 40 lbs a peice.) I would not recommend anything this heavy. a tent a few supplies and off you go. keep it to 25 to 30 lbs load on this lightweight rig. I pulled this behind my mountain bike for the day and was very impressed. It pulls very easy and is very agile. I also attached it to my motor bike and down the highway up 30 mph no problems. It is narrow so cars didnt seem to mind either.

Attachments

jcchappy

Aug 18, 2009
antlers, ok.
I built this to use with a tote as a cargo box, but an Ice chest cube fits nicely too. Also show in this picture is the neck brace i welded to the trailer. Next is an assembly to haul our kayacks.

Attachments

Last edited:

kicking

Apr 11, 2010
mississippi
So no comments? does it look that bad? it really does work very good used it again this weekend on another off road trail.[/Q........//// don’t look that bad … if it works and serve its purpose then what the hey ..I see what looks like brakes on the back tire do they work ? If not that might be a good project.. I have a similar post on here called push cart ….. Now that I have viewed yours … now the least you can do is look at mine lol .. Sorry no pics yet … at least you have pics for reference and ideas…. Give me some specs on your hardware … tubing … pipes ?aluminum ? I saw some tubing at lowes but it was ¾ inch galvanized ..any good places to pick up supply? Here’s a site for reference Bicycle frame building for the rest of us.

jcchappy

Aug 18, 2009
antlers, ok.
the frame is made of conduit. Like electical conduit from home depot or lows or simular place. most of the frame is 1/2" the neck is 3/4 the brake are in the process of being hooked up although I havent needed them yet. i'm thinking about putting a little friction drive motor on it to pull its own weight.

kicking

Apr 11, 2010
mississippi
Re: hey thanks for the info i am savi....

hey thanks for the info i am saving all these pictures of your stuff hope you dont mind ? any ways im geting some old junk bike frames . forks frames , ect. and stuff together allready got a wagon years for my garden and lawn mower didnt cost a dime and in good shape.. so im going to try both single wheel and four wheel and hook my bell speedo up , junk frames and such are geting hard to find around here ,,, people are starting to tighten there belts around here ... thinking about makeing a rack on my wagon and put a quick change solor panel on top thats interchangable from each rig ,,, and can be used for my home too... im working on a dynamo engine and stuff too ... i am working on my frame a little at a time have pics up soon i hope ..... later bro !!! o[
the frame is made of conduit. Like electical conduit from home depot or lows or simular place. most of the frame is 1/2" the neck is 3/4 the brake are in the process of being hooked up although I havent needed them yet. i'm thinking about putting a little friction drive motor on it to pull its own weight.