Ever get a flat? What do you do?

GoldenMotor.com

Sign Guy

Jan 19, 2010
Everett, WA
I was thinking - yeah dangerous - the other day about getting a flat on one of these contraptions. I figure it'd be a major PTIA to try and fix it on the road, dealing with 2 chains & sprockets. I'd most likely just call management and have her come with the truck and tear it down back at the ranch. I guess this is a reason (if the SBP guys haven't pushed it already) to use a jack shaft kit for just such occasions. Anyway, What have you done when you've gotten a flat?

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
It may sound odd at first - but I don't even bother with patches. I have them ofc - but I carry a spare tube, a mini-pump, an adj. wrench, and a hunk of 1/4" rope (which is obv a multitool).

When the front tire goes (not "if" lol) it's easy peasy, but still there's the problem of not being able to flip the bike over... the rear wheel only more of an issue 'cause ya can't just set it down.

Thus - the rope :D I'll wander over to a handy tree, chuck the rope over a branch and suspend the bike, now it's just dealing with the greasy (there's a rag in the kit too ofc) ;)

oh right - a chain breaking tool haz been added to the kit heh, just in case...

Last edited:

stuartracing

Dec 9, 2008
Gainesville FL.
I found some tubes that are self fixing....They are filled with some stuff like fix a flat goo inside....I have pulled out a few small nails/staples so far and no problems....They are supposed to be LEAK PROOF......So far so good.....

wes

Aug 17, 2009
Tucson Az
I carry a tube and a few tools, a multi tool and a co2 pump that i use if I'm in a hurry and i started carrying an extra tube, i got a few flats on the opposite side of town about 20 miles and was worried about what to do if i got another flat on my way home, i use my cable and lock to hang my bike as well

the new ausped

Feb 10, 2010
australia
depends if its a spindle drive or not.

if its a spindle drive ive got a long way to pedal home....:(

if im on me china girl i practice drifting lol, do you guys know how much of a gear change you get w/out a tire? you just touch the throttle and pray/hold on, i just be carful to avoid cops and dry areas cos of all the sparks lol. i guess i have to avoid the popo anywayz here

you do alot more of these brnot dnut im just saying

TheE

Jun 26, 2009
Canada
I had a flat for a while before someone pointed out that I was riding with a flat, so I changed the tube at home. Take the tire off with a $1 spoon, pop the new tube in, put the the whole shebang back on the rim and inflate. No biggie.

andrewg225

Jul 19, 2009
ontairo
i cheack my tires all the time to see if thay need air . i carry a tube and tools also i usuly cheak for ware on the tires if the tire has a hole or the seems look bad i change the tire and tube .

wolfstone7

Oct 19, 2009
Ky
My dad used those self sealing tubes in Az since he was all ways getting thorns from Cactus in them and leaks... that seemed to solve the problem...

beerbattered

Jan 1, 2010
Coral Springs FL
There are many creative ways to change a flat tire on an MB, but the best solution is to not get one. Buy a really good set of tires and use an x-heavy tube or a tire liner. I have heard lots of people say that tire liners slide around inside the tires. In my experience tire liners have the same problem as tires, they aren't always the size that the box says they should be in order to fit the bill. Pull a couple of different ones out at the bike shop and compare them to the tires you have.
SCHWALBE MARATHON PLUS TIRE at JensonUSA.com
JensonUSA.com - Your Mountain & Road Bike online parts supplier!
Wicked good tires.

chrisme

May 30, 2009
Maine
I use that green goop stuff on my bikes. I did get a pretty bad puncture in my MB, would have been a flat, but because I have the goop stuff in the tires it just leaked slowly enough I made it home.

Once on my pedal bike I was about 20 miles from home. I got a gash in my tire, I didn't have any patches, but it was bigger than a patch could fix anyway. I took the tire off and packed it full of grass and leaves. Got them in there really nice and tight. Didn't work awesome, but it got me home and didn't ruin my allow rim.

Snogcel

Aug 31, 2009
Westminster, CO
My MB is built on an old Schwinn "Suburban" bicycle which in the sixties was called a "Touring Bike". It has 27" x 1 1/4" high pressure road bike tires, and of course I had a flat on the rear one fairly early in my adventures. It wasn't especially noticeable though, and while the pavement felt a little more "nubbly" than usual I had full performance and good handling so I just rode it home.

I filled the leaky tube with that green mucus stuff to stop leaks, filled 'er up and its been fine for six months now.

Press onward!

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
I was just thinking of filling my tubes with that expanding foam in a can stuff....Whadda ya think of that????? Might work.....
i know a guy who tried that. not on a motor bike, just a regular cruiser. it ended up crushing and flattening inside his tube, so his wheels were constantly out of round, plus the gas fumes filled up spots that the foam didn't, so it had air pockets as well.

funniest thing was, since he couldn't deflate the tube to take the tires off, he had to cut them off.

so he's out two tires, tubes, and the cost of a can of expansion foam.

definitely not a good idea.

chrisme

May 30, 2009
Maine
i know a guy who tried that. not on a motor bike, just a regular cruiser. it ended up crushing and flattening inside his tube, so his wheels were constantly out of round, plus the gas fumes filled up spots that the foam didn't, so it had air pockets as well.

funniest thing was, since he couldn't deflate the tube to take the tires off, he had to cut them off.

so he's out two tires, tubes, and the cost of a can of expansion foam.

definitely not a good idea.
laff that's really funny. I didn't think that would end well. .duh.