how to make a cheap layback seatpost.

GoldenMotor.com

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
most seatposts are the same thickness as handlebars. i first started doing this in the late 70's with aluminum bmx bars. we were the only kids with cool anodized laid back seat posts.

the first production bmx laybacks were pretty much the same exact thing.

i've done this to just about all my bikes, and never bent or broke one.

granted, i'm only 135lbs, but as long as you don't extend it more than a couple inches, and don't jump stuff sitting down, it should work fine.

and yeah, BA, i cut up some vintage handlebars. there's more rust than chrome, and those "scout" bars are still available for cheap.

sojudave

Oct 18, 2008
austin tx
I have two spare seat posts. I was going to several notches with a grinder, bend them over like an accordian tack weld the cuts and cover in JB Weld. The reason for JB Weld is to see what this stuff can do. If it works consistently then I plan to film a series of youtubes using the stuff.

Maxvision

Jun 13, 2009
San Diego, CA
step one:

cut up some old handlebars.

step two:

there is no "step two."

see pictures...
Step two: Fill the hollow tube with mortar or pour stone or something similar. Otherwise the nice 30 degree bend will soon become a 45 degree, then 90 degree then you'll be polishing your ass on the top of the tire.

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
maybe i should change the title of this thread to;

"how to make a cheap layback seatpost that apparently only works great for me and no one else should ever try it because even though i've never bent one, you might, so go get one welded somewhere..."

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
JB weld ? on the seat post? all that JB weld is,is just a metal filled epoxy it will glue and fill but it will take the place of welding the seat post?answer to that NOPE! You Will be polishing your hinney on the rear tire!!! Smell bacon frying anyone???
You could get a better result by using a fiber glass cloth with epoxy. the glass cloth will give it some strength. I wouldn't do the cloth glass thing though unless I made it all out of glass and cloth solid core of glass and cloth it would be the same as a glass landing gear used on airplane, but for a few seconds with a welder you'd be farther head welding it.
Bairdco
I like your seat post idea using what you have laying around. I don't know what the other guys weigh or do on their bikes one did said he weighs 300 lbs. Your seat isn't taking all the weight of you as your feet are on the pedals. when I'm riding I put most of my weight on the pedals. Especially if I see a bump coming.
Would you all freak out when I cut up a handle bar for an exhaust pipe header?laff
Oh old lawn mower handle bars make good header pipes.

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
maybe i should change the title of this thread to;

"how to make a cheap layback seatpost that apparently only works great for me and no one else should ever try it because even though i've never bent one, you might, so go get one welded somewhere..."
Thanks, Bairdco.
You gave me a laugh and made my day.
Tom

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
no problem, tom.

for you other guys, get an extra pair of handlebars, put all your weight on them, and see if you can bend them. if you can, congratulations.

now, look at the handlebars on your bike. OH MY GOD! they have bends in them! the same kind of bends that bairdco's seatpost has!

i guess you better get some solid steel handlebars, or else i wouldn't put any weight on them...

hey, aren't you some of the same guys who drill holes in a load bearing frame tube to mount a chain tensioner? ;)

besides all this foolishness, if you make my seatpost really long, yes, it'll probably bend. especially if you keep all your weight on the seat and do curb drops, or driveway lump jumps.

if it extends back 3 or 4 inches like mine does, and you use your body to absorb the bumps (like you should,) then you shouldn't have any problems.

and you have a nice, curved stylish, basically free seatpost.

and if you weigh 500 pounds, maybe a motorized bicycle isn't the thing for you.

(disclaimer: bairdco industries assumes no responsibility for busted butts, split tails, asphalt enemas, spoke pokes, hub rubs, rim roids, or cracked cracks. use at your own risk.)

Last edited:

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
(disclaimer: bairdco industries assumes no responsibility for busted butts, split tails, asphalt enemas, spoke pokes, hub rubs, rim roids, or cracked cracks. use at your own risk.)
this made me laugh and spew coffee !!! laff
I needed that ,,,thanks :)
(the laugh, not the clean-up ;))

I have bent handle bars though, when the brake arm clip slipped off my front drum hub (broken lever too, and those bars have been turned into one of azviinie's chopper exhausts :))

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
..."Give me a place to stand, and I will move the Earth -Archimedes..."

one of my favorite quotes.

and yeah, stuff bends. even if you get one of those welded flat plate seat posts, it could still bend. it's all about leverage and force applied (see quote above...)

i made this thread as a cheap, easy way to make a cool seatpost, that will function fine under normal riding conditions.

if it's not for you, so be it. but unless you've tried it and it bent and carved you a new one, then save your judgments. i have one on a 50 pound beach cruiser that i've been riding for 15 years, and shows no sign of bending. i've pedaled that bike everywhere, rode off hundreds of curbs sitting on the seat, carrying a twelve pack in one hand. there's a great testimonial right there...

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
2 Funny Baird.

I am defiantly gonna try this. After ridding one time with a bent seat post, I just don't enjoy motorized bicycle riding with out them. (thanks again Tom!) They make a world of difference.

Just think of the rider who is 5 foot 13" tall and depending on their MB as thier only wheels and making minimum wage. Bet they are loving this idea. I wonder if simply filling it with sand would shore it up for plus sized riders.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
thanks, dan. you're the one that told me to make this thread in the first place. now look at the mess you started...;)
LOL, did you see Animal House? "Face it you messed up, you trusted us" Kidding, kidding, put the bent seat post down!

I do think it is a great idea and will be trying it. Not sure it would be good for larger ridders but I weigh between 150 and 175 depending on time of year and doubt any future problems.

I have a Kulana that can only be ridden comfortably with a motor by folks around 4 foot nothing and I switch my 2Door brand bent seat post around on my bikes. Have about 7 sets of old handle bars around so when I get a spare couple of hrs, am going to make one and will post pics.

Laural & Hardy ....