Motorized Bicycle Tires?

GoldenMotor.com

DannyDodge

May 22, 2008
Detroit,Michigan
www.motownmuscle.com
what do you guys recommend? the tires on my huffy suck quite honestly, i haven't even rode the thing a mile and i laid it down lol took a turn, leaned it alittle and tires just slid out from under me, nothing like the whizzer, which i can ride like a normal bike to a extent, so what are your guys recommendation

nogoodnic

Jan 29, 2008
Shelby MI
forum1.freakbikenation.com
Re: tires?

Hi Danny, I can't say what is the best all around tire but in my experience I like the Kenda Flame. So far I have over 1000 miles on my set with one flat in that time. They are just starting to show wear, by that I mean that the semi rough texture over the tread pattern from the factory is just starting to wear smooth, these tires should have many, many more moles in them. They have a nice round crown on them and hold the road great. BTW Rob at the Ambassador Bike shop accross the river from you in Winsor reccomend these to me three or four years ago, I'm still on the same set. Hope this helps...Kelly

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Re: tires?

I have no real preference. I don't even know what sizes are on teh bike. I would like to run 2.25 but they are too wide for the chain to clear. I would stay the heck away from knobbies though,. at least on the rear.

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
Danny, Don't skimp on the quality of your tires. I had a blow out and was limping around with a cane for a week and pain for months. I use specialized Armadillo tires. (I know the spelling is off) thick side wall with kevlar. Its a good all around tire for both street and dirt.
Here what happened to me at one of the races...which I can laugh about now! LOL

http://motorbicycling.com/f11/tire-quality-101-a-294.html

Wheel Rush

Jun 21, 2008
I thought I was gonna get a break when I bought a hundred dollar Huffy from K-Mart and mounted a Kings 80cc on it, heck, after mounting the engine, I inflated the tires, min 40 psi-max 65 psi,
with a hand pump, I could hardly get more than 40 psi into each, without a lot of hard pumping, so I left it at 40, (I'm working in the garage), and started working on something else, Kaboom !!*^??!!

Just sitting there the front tire blew ! I did not know what to make of it ?? So put a spare tube I had into the tire, sitting in-front of it, and placing the nuts back on and Kaboomm !! **??!! again.

I still could not make this out, . . I took the tire and rim to a local guy, for a closer look, he said that it was probably the bead, . .

But he remounted and packed in a tube, pressure hose air filled it.

And it sitting here looking OK for the time being, I am not altogether sure exactly what happened but now I a wondering if the cheap air gauge I bought for 1.29, gave a false reading about the cheap tires.

I have learned to give such some considerations as it would be well recommended.

Please don't post back any, "I told you so", comments about cheap tires, I already know that.

Worth thinking about though !

Bean Oil

Jan 10, 2008
wondering if the cheap air gauge I bought for 1.29, gave a false reading
40 psi is still soft enough to push your thumb into the tire sidewall without too much difficulty. A tire shouldn't just blow at that low pressure unless it and the tube were extremely old and brittle.

It was more than likely an incorrect pressure reading...

Wheel Rush

Jun 21, 2008
Thanks, "bean oil". I'll check into that, it is what I am suspecting it, . . . ., err, . .ahh, . . I can only say thats what it read, Like and I did it a couple of times as I was filling it, so wow, jeeze, you would think a manf. would at least give you something close to accurate at any price!

MarkTur

May 23, 2008
I had a horrible time with flats on a Kulana Moon Dog...I ended up wrapping the rim (over the spoke ends) with electrical tape -3 layers thick, and no more flats. I'm still running LOW tire pressure, maybe 40-45 lbs, because I'm still a bit paranoid after 4 flats, but I'm pretty confident now, with close to 400+ miles on the bike with no issues after that...well, wait, I also changed the tires to teh Bell Kevlar Comfort tires - more rounded, and Kevlar, extra thick Slime Tubes, and a Mr. Tuffy's to protect from punctures.

Wheel Rush

Jun 21, 2008
Will definitely check it out, thanks much MarkTur.
Starting a new post Brake Jam< i think in Motorized kits.

I won't be posting found the problem, a broken bolt on the sprocket plate,
coming into contact with the brake arm as the wheel turns, Bummer, don't ask me how it happened, I was working on it late and it happened and went unnoticed. I really wish there was a specification on those bolts that tighten the plate against the pads.

Last edited: