I think I can get this bike for $75

GoldenMotor.com

bomb

Nov 18, 2010
Canada
The question is can I use another system for the gear change, something like a lever mounted somewhere on the frame so I can mount the twist grip on the handlebars ? and where can I get the parts needed ?

Thanks

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
A common solution & one I like is to simply slide the twist shift inboard a bit & replace the 1/2 grip with the throttle... but yea, you could replace the shifters w/a lever type - the problem is that you'll hafta match the shifters to your derailleurs (bike shop can help) or ya might end up skipping a gear or two if ya use some random shifter lever... which may not be that bad an issue as you'll be pedaling less *shrug* your call ;)

That looks like a sweet bike for motorizing BTW (^)

bomb

Nov 18, 2010
Canada
It never occured to me to slide the twist shift inwards, too easy.duh.

The only thing that concernes me is the thickness of the frame, the downtube looks chunky to say the least. I was thinking that it might be too fat to mount the engine. Is it still feasable with oversized tubes ?
I am going to take a look at it this evening. Any tips on what I should look for would be appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
lol - that solution was "too easy" for me too, before I saw it on one of 2Door's bikes :D

There's a coupla vendors that offer oversized mounting kits, dunno which is better as I've not needed one *shrug* They're pretty straightforward, a base plate and a large U bolt, so it outa be no prob ;)

RebelHellbilly

Apr 22, 2009
Salisbury,North Carolina
the old type handlebar friction shifters will work or u could change to single speed. and gonna have to change to longer brake cable housing for ur rear brake cable for ur gas tank to fit. nice bike tho...good deal for $75..looks new to me

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Older road bikes used stem mounted shifters. They should fit, but will be friction only.