Two Speed Automatic Transmission

GoldenMotor.com

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
You sure have kept the quality up on this whole deal, looks great.
I found some brass-like elbow fittings that have one barbed end, and one threaded, in the plumbing section of the hardware store. I think that might work for you... Here's a pic of the one I use. Good luck!

Attachments

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Well, the bike held up well at the last Grange race. Down in power with the altitude but shifted perfectly and finished. Looks like I'm building too much crankcase pressure and blowing a lot of oil out. My PTO side crank seal was pushed out allowing some leakage and the stock breather doesn't seam to keep up. I'm going to try to fab up a bigger, better breather and see if that helps. I used blue loctite to hold the seal in and may need to plumb to the intake to help evacuate. It's hard to get to the oil fill/dipstick with my new chain guards in place, so I installed a 1 1/4'' sight glass in the side cover to check the oil level.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Well, the bike held up well at the last Grange race. Down in power with the altitude but shifted perfectly and finished. Looks like I'm building too much crankcase pressure and blowing a lot of oil out. My PTO side crank seal was pushed out allowing some leakage and the stock breather doesn't seam to keep up. I'm going to try to fab up a bigger, better breather and see if that helps. I used blue loctite to hold the seal in and may need to plumb to the intake to help evacuate. It's hard to get to the oil fill/dipstick with my new chain guards in place, so I installed a 1 1/4'' sight glass in the side cover to check the oil level.
Very nice, that sight glass worked out pretty slick......I really like your primary cover as well.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Dale,
Just wanted to say that I admire what you are able to do... make up a transmission like that... work out the problems with clever solutions... and your willingness to share with others here speaks well of you as a person and forum member.
Well, sir, it is pretty remarkable. I don't have the skill to be able to apply what you have shared, but I can see it and comment as a kind of cheer leader. Well done sir! And down the line someone who has seen this will think of a refinement and make it better yet.
And so this sport/hobby/fascination keeps getting taken to new levels of excellence. You guys amaze me.
SB

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Thanks Scotto, I carved out the cover so I could see more, and it looked too klunky before. Have you had to modify your breathers with your four strokes?

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Thanks SB, I'm okay at roughing out stuff, but I'll leave the artistic and aesthetics to guys like you. Keep plugging and we'll get some more projects done.

SemperKeith

May 9, 2009
Chico, CA
Dale,
Just wanted to say that I admire what you are able to do... make up a transmission like that... work out the problems with clever solutions... and your willingness to share with others here speaks well of you as a person and forum member.
Well, sir, it is pretty remarkable. I don't have the skill to be able to apply what you have shared, but I can see it and comment as a kind of cheer leader. Well done sir! And down the line someone who has seen this will think of a refinement and make it better yet.
And so this sport/hobby/fascination keeps getting taken to new levels of excellence. You guys amaze me.
SB
I would just like to second this well said complement, plus, you are just oozing talent and creativity. Just jaw dropping amazing. You certainly give us all a high bar to strive for in this wonderful motor bicycling world. Thanks for sharing.

Tang

Sep 29, 2013
Indianapolis
Very good work. Nice trans. I have learned a lot from this forum in the short time learning and working with MoBs. Wish there was more people in Indianapolis.

Keep up the good work

Tang

ratman150

Feb 19, 2014
Murphy Texas
How has the tranny been? I keep stumbling upon this post (and just today figured out how it works). What kind of engine do you have as well?

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Hey ratman. The tranny works great. I'm still playing with different internal sprocket ratios, clutch springs and weights, just to see what's the best engagement and shift rpms. I guess it's the best it will ever be with the simple (cheap) Max Torque clutches. They seem to have a lot of slop and could benefit from blueprinting, but there's not a lot to work with. A precision clutch would do much better but cost around $300 each and are much bulkier. So I'll use it as is because it's as compact as I can get it. Overall I'm happy with it and it's a joy to ride. I just get out with traffic like a real motorcycle and avoid the fast and busy streets. I'm working on an adjustable timing mechanism now, so I can introduce some advance at higher rpms making it start real easy and add top speed. Thanks for the inquiry.

chargehard

Aug 7, 2019
this is awesome
guys im new here, but if anyone wants a hand just ask
love inventing stuff, looks like ill be right at home here

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
This is a bit of an old thread but msrfan is still on the site posting. Tony01 I think it is also made a bike using the two clutch idea for two speed automatic and has a hf tool predator 212 running it. I had come across this thread prior so thanks, & welcome!

motorhedfred

Jul 31, 2009
United States
I know this is an old thread but I've been toying with this type of centrifugal clutch based multi-speed transmission, running the power flow through from the engine through the various clutches, chains and sprockets. I can't wrap my mind around whether there's any compression (engine) braking with it. Part of me thinks it dies at the last freewheeling sprocket closest to the drivewheel and another part of me thinks as long as either of the clutches are engaged, there's compression braking.

If not, would keyed sprockets that freewheel in the opposite direction catch on deceleration for engine braking? Another part of me thinks that would just lock up the whole shebang.

My brain hurts.

Reactions: FOG